Quote Originally Posted by sgt108 View Post
Dear SOwhitfield11,
I was attached to engineer and motor transport battalions in Okinawa and Camp Lejeune after ITR training.I also was attached to the 1st Marine Air wing El Toro air base, Santa Anna ,Calif.While at camp Lejeune I was at camp Geiger motor transport hauling recruits to the field for ITR training we drove tractor trailer cattle cars, I believe they use buses now. I also was station at Marine Corps Barracks, Kelflevic,Iceland (Nato Base) . I was Cpl. Of the guard which I posted the Marines to there posts and logged there post reports on the half hour.We were part of a reinforced company of Marines which our duties covered Honor Guard for visiting NATO members, training Navy personnel on use of defense weapons( GDF) guarding Radar, fuel, munitions, P-3 Navy aircraft sites very interesting place to be stationed, but a lot of spit & polish with daily personnel inspections.We were allowed a 96 hr past monthly so we would catch a navy plane flying to Europe, England, Denmark,Germany lots of good times.
After my discharge I worked for Centex Builders union carpenter until I was hired by Rolling Meadows police Dept.were I worked for 27 yrs I'm retired now.
My service in the Marine Corps really inspired me which helped in civilian career.
Good luck to you and always remember (to Be A Marine You Have To Believe in: yourself..Your Fellow Marine ,Your Corps..Your Country.. Your God < SEMPER FIDELIS>
I want to hear from you after Boot Camp as to where you read the Recruits Creed!!
Cpl M. Hamann Semper Fi.
Fascinating and motivational to hear about all the things you did in the Corps Cpl. Thank you very much for all your input and I will be keeping everyone up to date on my status via this thread.