Admin MOSes go to combat?
Create Post

Exclamation Admin MOSes go to combat?

Hi everyone! I am currently in the DEP. I have a CB contract, so my MOS is Legal and Administration Option. However, The Marines could take me in 01xx, 44xx, 70xx, or 60xx. I just wondering if those who have an Admin Job would go to combat? I know that EVERY Marine is a rifleman, but I want to go combat, I mean I would love to be there...to get deployed. Please answer this question. Thanks in advanced.

It's totally possible. One of my buddies managed to get hooked up for a four month deployment last year. He didn't see any "combat" but he went.

Just know that admin isn't first on anyone's roster to get deployed. My whole shop is full of guys who hate that they're admin. They want to be out in the field, blowing crap up. We train like everyone else, but admin is an office job. If you aren't okay with that, I'd seriously reconsider your MOS choice.

For what it's worth, I love my job and wouldn't latmov if you paid me. I am one of the few though.

Hahahaha! Dude, you're admin, and no you're not a "rifleman." We wouldn't take your type in the field even if ordered to, and we would be even more adamant if someone were to have us take you to a range. I've already had a pog nearly kill me twice because our chain of command wanted them to get some trigger time. Never again. Yall can stay on the fob or back in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    Hahahaha! Dude, you're admin, and no you're not a "rifleman."
    I don't give a flying hoot how bad ass you think you are. Four little numbers do not make you a "rifleman". Just because I'm a 0111 doesn't mean I can't shoot better than you (and I can almost guarantee I do shoot just as well, if not better than you). Playing in the dirt and blowing **** up doesn't make you more of a Marine than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    I don't give a flying hoot how bad ass you think you are. Four little numbers do not make you a "rifleman". Just because I'm a 0111 doesn't mean I can't shoot better than you (and I can almost guarantee I do shoot just as well, if not better than you). Playing in the dirt and blowing **** up doesn't make you more of a Marine than I am.
    Umm, suurree, keep telling yourself that. You are not a rifleman, and going to the KD range once a year means nothing. As for the rest of your post of accusations, have fun dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    It's totally possible. One of my buddies managed to get hooked up for a four month deployment last year. He didn't see any "combat" but he went.

Just know that admin isn't first on anyone's roster to get deployed. My whole shop is full of guys who hate that they're admin. They want to be out in the field, blowing crap up. We train like everyone else, but admin is an office job. If you aren't okay with that, I'd seriously reconsider your MOS choice.

For what it's worth, I love my job and wouldn't latmov if you paid me. I am one of the few though.
    Thanks for those words man. I think I would stay with my MOS because I've heard that those who are in the Infantry won't make the 20 years or if they do, they finish with back pain and not healthy at all. My dad is Combat Engineer and Airborne. He just told me that if I want to get out after my first 4 years and if I have a college degree, Admin jobs will help me to get a civilian job so that is an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo1992 View Post
    Thanks for those words man.
    How about...Thanks Marine, and she's not a man, she's a female.
    This is why we encourage wannabes and poolees to LOOK at profiles FIRST.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    How about...Thanks Marine, and she's not a man, she's a female.
    This is why we encourage wannabes and poolees to LOOK at profiles FIRST.
    Sorry Marine, I will make sure to look the profile first in the next time I reply to someone.

wookies..... dude, call me bro, dude, whatever, I really don't give that big a chit about such petty little chit here on the internet.

wookies.....
    you rang?

Chill out. THIS isn't the area for wetting contests. Suggest YOU read our rules otherwise your ability to play here will be eliminated. Slug, only and last warning for that term as well.

Think I'm kidding? TRY me.

You serious? She has it as her fvcking screen name, and she's not the only one.

Such thin skin around these parts, embarrassing considering we're all supposed to be Marines.

You serious? She has it as her fvcking screen name, and she's not the only one.

Such thin skin around these parts, embarrassing considering we're all supposed to be Marines.
    Yeah, and FYI, 'wookie' ISN'T A FEMALE. Might want to check the profiles before you go 'azz'uming'. Well stated, Lava.

Here are some articles that might shed better light on the subject than opinion.

http://www.theusmarines.com/Every-Ma...achine-gunner/

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/Sentry/....aspx?SID=4908

Basically, you work in your mos first, but every Marine is a basic rifleman without holding the mos 0300. Does that mean you will deploy as a rifleman? No. I was in the 4400 field, and in the Seventies worked alongside many 4421s from Vietnam, many of whom abandoned the typewriter and were assigned to infantry units. A gunny I knew was a tunnel rat. My OIC on Okinawa was a legal admin officer and received a battlefield commission. He had a 5-6 inch scar slanted across his forehead, and he didn't get it from a crease of the edge of a desk.

If you go in 01xx or 44xx what is the likelihood you will see combat? Probably slim to none. If you want to see combat, go 03xx, and even then you probably won't.

In boot camp at Parris Island or San Diego, and in the Basic School at Quantico, no one escapes from the Rifleman's Creed. Every Marine is trained, first and foremost, as a rifleman, for it is the rifleman who must close with and destroy the enemy. The rifleman remains the most basic tenet of Marine Corps doctrine. All else revolves around him. Marine Aviation, Marine Armor, Marine Artillery, and all supporting arms and warfighting assets exist to support the rifleman. It is believed that MGen. William H. Rupertus, USMC, authored the creed shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. It is commonly known as the Rifleman's Creed, but it has also been called "My Rifle: The Creed of a United States Marine." Every Marine must memorize this creed. And, every Marine must live by the creed.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo1992 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am currently in the DEP. I have a CB contract, so my MOS is Legal and Administration Option. However, The Marines could take me in 01xx, 44xx, 70xx, or 60xx. I just wondering if those who have an Admin Job would go to combat? I know that EVERY Marine is a rifleman, but I want to go combat, I mean I would love to be there...to get deployed. Please answer this question. Thanks in advanced.
    If you want to see combat start looking at 03** fields...until then no. In my experience POG's on patrol most of the time are a liability not an asset.

Thread Information