sleeves down all year??? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Next month we get to wear go-fasters with our cammies.
    Right...because rolling sleeves has anything to do with warfighting. You were aware the mission of the Marine Corps is winning wars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Right...because rolling sleeves has anything to do with warfighting. You were aware the mission of the Marine Corps is winning wars, right?
    And leaving them down does? It's just one of those changes the Corps makes. It happens all the time. Anyone remember the brown shirts and changing them to the green? Remember the old jungle boots that were green and black? Loved those, they took 'em. The all leather cadilacs. Multiple types of cammie changes, no more spit shining boots, ironing cammies, etc. Take away tradition and we once again follow in the footsteps of the army. I personally liked rolling the sleeves, it was something destictive to the Corps. However, as the Corps changes, we change...or we get out.

Semper Yut!

Well, SOP in country is sleeves down...my response was directed at the go fasters reply. Comparing the two is just ridiculous.

Indeed it is. I know only too well. I can see where the uniformity issue is, I just appreciate tradition and this is one more way to kill it. Marines foward and Marines in the rear will "look" the same...I get it. I always like the change going back conus, it was refreshing. Spending a year in Afghanistan, sleeves down the whole time, has really affected my damn redneck tan!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Wow, never realized how many people would really be so mad about something like this. I don't really see how it's a big deal, it's just one less thing I have to worry about all in all.

That...

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    Wow, never realized how many people would really be so mad about something like this. I don't really see how it's a big deal, it's just one less thing I have to worry about all in all.

...is exactly what I thought when they took away spit-shining our boots. Never thought of it as a tradition, just thought of it as annoying. Looking back on it, I realize that it was one of those things that stood us apart from the other branches. This is one of those things. The rolled sleeves were something you really only saw on Marines and it put us apart from our sister services. I never did that "perfect cuff" thing, just liked the look...plus I have big arms and now how am I going to show those things off? Seriously though, it's not anger, or being mad about it...it's more...dissapointment and a little sadness at the loss of the tradition. We'll all get over the butt-hurt and move on to doing what we do best. As with all change, this too shall pass.

I only have spent 1 summer with having to roll my sleeves being that I spent this summer in Afghanistan. I like rolling the sleeves but I'm not gonna miss cutting off my circulation or having someone else haing to help me get my blouse off. And with people concerned about the heat... Sleeves down in the sandbox, its horribly hot and it sucks but you get used to it.

How in the hell is it a tradition to roll your sleeves up? When did it start?

HERE YOU GO FELLAS

MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE
    Date Signed: 10/18/2011
    MARADMIN Active Number: 621/11 2011

R 181719Z OCT 11
    UNCLASSIFIED//
    MARADMIN 621/11
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
    SUBJ/MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM POLICY CHANGE//
    REF/A/MSGID-DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC MCUB/31MAR2003//
    AMPN/A IS MCO P1020.34G, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//
    POC/M. BOYT/CIV/UNIT:MCUB/-/TEL: 703-432-3333/TEL-DSN 378-3333 /EMAIL:MARY.BOYT(AT)USMC.MIL//
    GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THIS MARADMIN ANNOUNCES THE COMMANDANT'S DECISION TO CHANGE THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM (MCCUU) WEAR POLICY.
    2. EFFECTIVE 24 OCTOBER 2011, THE MCCUU WILL BE WORN WITH THE SLEEVES DOWN, YEAR ROUND. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT TIMING OF THE SEASONAL UNIFORM CHANGE, WHICH WILL BE ADDRESSED AND ANNOUNCED IN A FUTURE MARADMIN.
    3. REFERENCE (A) WILL BE UPDATED TO REFLECT THIS CHANGE.
    4. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY LTGEN W. J. WILLIAMS, DIRECTOR, MARINE CORPS STAFF.//

Credits
    Savings
    Here at Fort Leonard Wood it's pretty much universal from what I've saw and heard...no one likes the change.

yeah I really wished the man would have told us when he was here like 4 days ago... but it's all good one less thing I have to do on sundays, maybe next he will change some hair cut regs

Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    How in the hell is it a tradition to roll your sleeves up? When did it start?
    A tradition is nothing more than something that has been "passed down" from one generation to the next. I have heard the term "white sleeves", or "white side out" many...many times. Don't get me wrong, this isn't something that is going to matter in a few weeks, i'm sure. Most people find it annoying, or pointless, to say the least. Like I said earlier, it is just one more way we will follow in the footsteps of the army. We should start wearing berets and put zippers on our uniforms. No more tattoos, period. Get rid of the high-and-stupid all together. Actually...that last one has merit. Hah!

I liked the look of squared away sleeves, but it doesn't matter any more...

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that it should be up to Base Commanders as to whether or not their Marines roll their sleeves and when. I'm stationed in Yuma and I know that we could stand to have rolled sleeves year round, while other bases (Lejeune, New River) could stand to have sleeves down into April and as early as October. Thats just my thinking.

Yet another thing taken away that makes us stand out. Next it will be the EGA on the uniforms.

Thread Information