Hi, new and some questions.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, new and some questions.

Hi, I am currently a poolee and I leave soon in Dec. I feel confident in my physical abilities going into bootcamp but I wonder how will i fare over there? (17 pullups, 87 crunches, 10 min 1.5m last month ist) improving every month, started 3 months ago with (9 pullups, 60 crunches, 11:40 1.5m) I have a poolee function tomorrow and i know ill be able to hit 18+ pullups and the 100 crunches, probably same run time though. I know its not just all about the ist/pft/cft tests, but I just want a general idea from recently graduated Marines. Mentally im strong, and I will keep on going no matter how hard it gets. I will be going to San Diego for my training. The only part I'm worried about is the swimming portion. I cant swim! but I'm not afraid to go in the water. How was it like for the guys that cant swim in your platoon and did they eventually get it? I don't want to be recycled and I know I will learn, but throwing me in the deep end would just have me flailing around waiting to be rescued lol. I'll get my ass chewed out too

On a side note my brother just left 2 weeks ago to bootcamp, just waiting for his letter. I was supposed to go with him but i had a wrist injury which is now good to go. Dammit I'm mad I couldn't go with him, would've been in same platoon an everything (From being drunk trying to jump a fence and fell hard on my wrist. Put me out a good couple of months)

Quote Originally Posted by khmer07 View Post
    I feel confident in my physical abilities going into bootcamp...improving every month...and i know ill be able to hit 18+ pullups and the 100 crunches, probably same run time though...Mentally im strong, and I will keep on going no matter how hard it gets...The only part I'm worried about is the swimming portion. I cant swim! but I'm not afraid to go in the water.(From being drunk trying to jump a fence and fell hard on my wrist. Put me out a good couple of months)
    I pared down your post to the pertinent features. You want to know how you will do. We do not have a crystal ball, but take a look at your own words.

I feel confident...
    Improving every month...
    I know I'll be able to hit...
    Mentally I'm strong...
    I will keep on going no matter how hard it gets...
    I'm not afraid to go in the water...

You have just nailed it young man. A huge portion of boot camp success is your mental outlook. Maintain that positive outlook and refusal to accept anything less and you will do well.

I knew one failure when I went to boot camp, a kid who talked crap about how he was going to be the next Chesty Puller. Before the first training day, they let anybody exit the Corps if they wanted to. I was shocked when he went forward to get out before he was ever in. Talk is cheap. It is quiet action that counts.

Now, as for your swimming, you have about two months. That is MORE THAN enough time to get your butt on down to your local YMCA, Red Cross or other place and learn how to swim. Tell them your plight. Most places will work with you. When you get to boot camp, they'll teach you the rest. If you are as motivated and determined as you say, you'll take care of this shortcoming.

As for your stupidity, "being drunk trying to jump a fence and fell hard on my wrist," learn your lesson and don't repeat.

Last edited by MOS4429; 10-07-11 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    I pared down your post to the pertinent features. You want to know how you will do. We do not have a crystal ball, but take a look at your own words.

I feel confident...
    Improving every month...
    I know I'll be able to hit...
    Mentally I'm strong...
    I will keep on going no matter how hard it gets...
    I'm not afraid to go in the water...

You have just nailed it young man. A huge portion of boot camp success is your mental outlook. Maintain that positive outlook and refusal to accept anything less and you will do well.

I knew one failure when I went to boot camp, a kid who talked crap about how he was going to be the next Chesty Puller. Before the first training day, they let anybody exit the Corps if they wanted to. I was shocked when he went forward to get out before he was ever in. Talk is cheap. It is quiet action that counts.

Now, as for your swimming, you have about two months. That is MORE THAN enough time to get your butt on down to your local YMCA, Red Cross or other place and learn how to swim. Tell them your plight. Most places will work with you. When you get to boot camp, they'll teach you the rest. If you are as motivated and determined as you say, you'll take care of this shortcoming.

As for your stupidity, "being drunk trying to jump a fence and fell hard on my wrist," learn your lesson and don't repeat.
    Thanks for the response, just got back from the poolee function and they want me to leave on Nov.14.(Next month) I accepted and I'm excited, anxious, nervous. What are the chances of me being able to see my brother, let alone talk to him?

Thanks for the response, just got back from the poolee function and they want me to leave on Nov.14.(Next month) I accepted and I'm excited, anxious, nervous. What are the chances of me being able to see my brother, let alone talk to him?

Don't take this the wrong way, but there won't be no time for a family reunion. Training goes on.......

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but there won't be no time for a family reunion. Training goes on.......
    Yeah, that's what I figured. If i see him I'll probably sneak in a finger ha.

Yeah, that's what I figured. If i see him I'll probably sneak in a finger ha.
    I highly doubt it.....unless you want your finger broken.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    I highly doubt it.....unless you want your finger broken.
    Ha, ok you just saved a finger

I realized at poolee function today that I have a lot to learn about the ranks, insignia, and 11 General Orders, and I sure paid for it.

Well, I suggest you get your rear in gear and get studying Marine Corps knowledge young man.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I realized at poolee function today that I have a lot to learn about the ranks, insignia, and 11 General Orders, and I sure paid for it.
    All the general knowledge to get you set up for boot camp is on this site.

A wealth of information at your fingertips.

I would suggest making flash cards for the General Orders...ranks....insignias and anything else you are having trouble with.

Carry them with you until you go to boot camp and review them in your free time.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    All the general knowledge to get you set up for boot camp is on this site.

A wealth of information at your fingertips.

I would suggest making flash cards for the General Orders...ranks....insignias and anything else you are having trouble with.

Carry them with you until you go to boot camp and review them in your free time.

Good luck!
    Yeh, I saw a very helpful thread earlier and made sure to bookmark it. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I will earn the title of Marine in a few months and share my knowledge. I love everything about it, the tough, and grinding challenge. I see it as fate because I've always had a high interest in the military. 3 months ago, I was walking around the lake with a few buddies, and had a national guard chain on. The Marine recruiters just happened to be there right when i was at the end of my walk, and said "Lets replace that chain with a Marine's chain." 5 seconds late and I probably would be sitting on my ass for a few more years doing nothing. Now here I am .

I learned what I knew going to boot camp from this site and the Marines on it. I suggest you follow suit. I was shocked to find out that on the whole bus of recruits heading to boot camp, I was the only one (might have been another guy), who actually studied their general orders and knew them word for word.

Regardless, you'll be screaming all the knowledge you'll ever want to learn each day, so you won't be able to forget it when it comes to knowing it or being tested for it. Best of luck.

Oh and as for the ones who can't swim... I remember them going to the pool a few days earlier (I guess for swim lessons and the real basics). Most of them got it, but I'm sure when it came to jumping into the deep end, they were probably scared.

Chances are slim and next to none. You will be at different phases, and the only chance will be an inadvertent pass, but since you will not be letting your eyes roam, it most likely will not happen.

"I realized at poolee function today that I have a lot to learn about the ranks, insignia, and 11 General Orders, and I sure paid for it."

Today poolees know way more than what we used to know prior to boot camp. Before I went to boot camp in 78 I knew nothing of what you mention. My recruiter provided me nothing to study. We had no poolee functions because we didn't have poolees. You joined, you got your date, you went. And then...you learned when you got there. So don't worry about it. They will teach you all you need to know, and just study your knowledge.

I still say you have time to get down to the Red Cross or YMCA and get in a basic swim class. When it comes to swim qual, if you cannot swim, then you start behind those who can because they have to teach you. Even the basics of treading water will help.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Chances are slim and next to none. You will be at different phases, and the only chance will be an inadvertent pass, but since you will not be letting your eyes roam, it most likely will not happen.

"I realized at poolee function today that I have a lot to learn about the ranks, insignia, and 11 General Orders, and I sure paid for it."

Today poolees know way more than what we used to know prior to boot camp. Before I went to boot camp in 78 I knew nothing of what you mention. My recruiter provided me nothing to study. We had no poolee functions because we didn't have poolees. You joined, you got your date, you went. And then...you learned when you got there. So don't worry about it. They will teach you all you need to know, and just study your knowledge.

I still say you have time to get down to the Red Cross or YMCA and get in a basic swim class. When it comes to swim qual, if you cannot swim, then you start behind those who can because they have to teach you. Even the basics of treading water will help.
    Yeah I'm thankful to have all this information available. I just got the first letter from my bro today, and it wasn't what i expected. He already wanted to quit and its been about 2 weeks. Quote " They don't take no bull-ish here. One time I smiled and I had to do thousands of push ups, curls, and tons of other stuff. They really try to break you down by yelling because nobody is used to all this criticism" He said he was going to walk into the DI's office and let him know that he wanted to quit, but he thought he would give it another day and that day he became a prayer leader. He's found strength and glad he re-found the Heavenly Father. Hope he makes it. 82 days left. That brings my confidence going in down a little, but to see him succeed will only make me succeed.

Yeah I'm thankful to have all this information available. I just got the first letter from my bro today, and it wasn't what i expected. He already wanted to quit and its been about 2 weeks. Quote " They don't take no bull-ish here. One time I smiled and I had to do thousands of push ups, curls, and tons of other stuff. They really try to break you down by yelling because nobody is used to all this criticism" He said he was going to walk into the DI's office and let him know that he wanted to quit, but he thought he would give it another day and that day he became a prayer leader. He's found strength and glad he re-found the Heavenly Father. Hope he makes it. 82 days left. That brings my confidence going in down a little, but to see him succeed will only make me succeed.
    Have you ever seen the Marine Corps rose garden poster? If not, check it out at http://www.grunt.com/rose-garden-poster link for purposes of showing poster, not selling it.

DAVE2571 has posted this on a couple threads, and at the risk of he accusing me of plagiarism...LOL...I give full kudos and credits and attributes for it!!! But here it is:

"I mentioned it on another thread just like this one, but it bears repeating.

"Two guys on here, after reading advice like this for months, STILL found the regimentation at PI to be surprising, and not only surprising but shocking. Every waking moment dictated to them as to what they would do, how they would do it, every minute of the day.

"Why this came as a shock to them I don't know-----they were on here for months prior to shipping. So this is a lesson to all of you--that no matter how much you prepare on the Internet, it is not the same thing as standing on the yellow footprints in reality, away from the keyboard. Apparently, the shock of being told what to do and how to do it, every single waking moment, is still a shock, even after months of mental preparation on this site.

"I found that very interesting. Keep it in mind as you get closer to your ship date."

The thing is: What the heck did he expect? Some boyscout camp, singing kumba ya my Lord? Write him and tell him he had better not quit or you wil...fill in the blank yourself.

He says "they don't take no bull-ish here." I am sorry, but what would make one think they ever would? "One time I smiled and I had to do thousands of push ups, curls, and tons of other stuff." This is no walk in the park. It is boot camp. If you smile, do you know what a DI thinks? He thinks you are mocking him, and he is going to rip you a new one for it. Have you ever seen Navy basic photos, Army, Air Force? They are all pretty as they have their pics taken with sweet smiles. Marines don't smile!

"They really try to break you down by yelling because nobody is used to all this criticism." Duh! You arrive on the yellow footprints a dirt bag civilian! It is their job to strip off all semblance if civilian, break you down to a maggot, and build you up into a Marine. NEVER take the criticism personal. It is part of the process.

The fact is, is there is the Marine way and then there is everything else. No recruit arriving on depot knows the Marine way, and everything they do is wrong. It is backwards. They think they wear sandles or flip-flops, but no, they are shower shoes. They think they have on underwear. No, it is skivvies. They stand against the wall. No, it is the bulkhead.

He became a prayer leader. He's found strength and glad he re-found the Heavenly Father. That is fantastic. Faith helps. But he needs to remember why he joined and what the purpose for which he is there.

So, before you ship out, write him positive, encouraging letters and tell him to get the idea of quitting out of his brain.

You say, "That brings my confidence going in down a little, but to see him succeed will only make me succeed." Why should it break down your confidence? Remain confident, only now you are more prepared, and don't arrive on the yellow footprints thinking this is a cakewalk.

You now know what to expect.

Thread Information