Reserves and college or straight to active duty?
Create Post

Reserves and college or straight to active duty?

Hello Marines,
    I was hoping I could get some advice to help me make my decision. I'm trying to decide between going into the reserves while going to college and then switching to active duty after getting my degree or going active duty right after high school and then going to college later. Also, in terms of the reserve option, my top choice for college is one that is in Colorado (I live in Maryland), would I be able to go to an out of state college if I enlisted here, or would I have to stay in state?

Just some background information if it helps is I'm a senior in high school, so I'm in the process of applying to college. Also I'm not interested in any officer programs, I want to be enlisted, even after college.

Thank you!

Financial aid for active duty Marines vs reserve Marines really doesn't compare. Active Marines are eligible for tuition assistance (TA). That is $4,500 a year for tuition (only while you're in). None of that money is coming from your GI bill. I had 3 semesters of college finished before I enlisted. I completed my degree while I was in using only TA. I haven't even touched my GI bill yet and I'm about to use that on my masters. Other people can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think reserve Marines get TA. And their GI bill doesn't pay as much either.

As for going to college in Colorado, that's fine. You'll just want to be attached to a reserve unit near your school, obviously. I don't know if a recruiter near your home in Maryland can attach you to a unit out there or you have to contact a recruiter out there. A quick trip to your local recruiting office will give you the answer to that though.

So, in my opinion, the best course of action is to go active and work your tail off to finish (or at least get a big chunk done) your degree before you get out. The benefit being you're going to pay nothing out of pocket for school, except for books. Realize though, that the Marine Corps is a demanding life. Training and deployments do delay school.

If your goal is to finish school asap and maybe have a little extra cash to help pay tuition, then the reserves is the way to go. But I don't think your military financial aid will cover everything.

Thank you so much for the response. I think I am going to go straight to active duty after high school and then do some collge in, and finish when I get out. My goal is not really to finish school ASAP but just to do it at some point.

Thread Information