Old Medical Records destroyed... Now what?
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Old Medical Records destroyed... Now what?

I have been talking to a recruiter and I disclosed that I had surgery when I was 2 weeks old, pyloric stenosis a simple surgery to repair something to keep a baby from throwing up.

This is not something you can be DQ'd for according to everything I have read, this is specifically stated as something that does not DQ you in the list of Medical DQ's.

The problem is, I am now 25 and the hospital has absolutely no record of me ever getting this surgery because their records only go back to 1995 and this surgery was done in 1985. I have a scar from it and I am sure I will be grilled at MEPS over the scar.

If I can't obtain my medical records for this surgery, is there anyway for me to still enlist?

Thanks, Marines!

This is something that we come across quite frequently when dealing with guys coming to MEPS to enlist so don't stress out too much. If you do the following you will be good to go.

Have your Mom write up a letter clearly explaining the surgery that you had. In the letter be sure that she explains when you had the procedure done, what hospital you received it at and the recovery that you went through afterwards. She then must also explain that while attempting to retrieve medical records she was informed by Mrs. XXXXX and XXXX Hospital (phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX) that their records on file only go back to 1995 and anything prior to that has been destroyed. State in the letter that you have had X number of physicals since the surgery and that there are no lasting effects from the surgery. You are in good health and participate in the following sports or physical activities.

If you have any questions about the letter or what all needs to be in it just let me know and I can try to help you out.

Once done the letter will be submitted to MEPS in place of Medical Records.

Asked, answered, closed. Thanks SSgt L!

Thread Information