Becoming a Marine Officer
Create Post

Becoming a Marine Officer

I am positive I want to become a Marine and have been for a while. I have taken time to think about the commitment and sacrifice put into being a Marine and don’t want to earn the title just because its “cool.” I was wondering if this would be possible/a good choice. I have done some research but cant seem to find the right answer. Any advice is appreciated. If I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves maybe after my freshman year of college, then worked to be selected for Platoon Leaders Class. I have heard that your college major doesn’t effect what MOS you are given. Is this true? If I am going to major in engineering, does that give me any higher of a chance to become an officer for combat engineering? Also, I’ve seen that for those who take part in NROTC, they owe at least 4 years active duty. After completing OCS and finishing the process of becoming an officer, would I owe any active service or would I still be in the reserves?
    Thanks

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by doobie95 View Post
    I am positive I want to become a Marine and have been for a while. I have taken time to think about the commitment and sacrifice put into being a Marine and don’t want to earn the title just because its “cool.” I was wondering if this would be possible/a good choice. I have done some research but cant seem to find the right answer. Any advice is appreciated. If I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves maybe after my freshman year of college, then worked to be selected for Platoon Leaders Class. I have heard that your college major doesn’t effect what MOS you are given. Is this true? If I am going to major in engineering, does that give me any higher of a chance to become an officer for combat engineering? Also, I’ve seen that for those who take part in NROTC, they owe at least 4 years active duty. After completing OCS and finishing the process of becoming an officer, would I owe any active service or would I still be in the reserves?
    Thanks
    I was involved with the Marine Officer Program for a while so I may be able to answer your question...

If you want a commission, PLC is definitely the way to go (vs. OCC which is much more competitive). Also, get in early and go two consecutive summers, 6 weeks a piece (vs. 10 weeks combined course). I would look into Navy ROTC Marine option if I was you...it comes with extra responsibilites but an awesome scholarship...and you could go just about anywhere in the country that has Navy ROTC...(Ga. Tech for instance...although I am a Uga Bulldawg...I won't knock Tech if you want engineering....).

That being said, as far as the question will Engineering help you get Combat Engineer Officer...probably not. The system they use to place Lts. into various jobs is a bit complicated and I'll let you do research...but from what I heard, CE Officer is very competitive and I believe former enlisted CEs might have an advantage...the Engineering degree you mentioned (Civil, Structural, Mechanical, etc...) probably would not pertain TOO much to the mission of the USMC...I think US Army Corps of Engineers deals more with that kind of application...USMC engineers are more battle-oriented...i.e. Sappers...don't me wrong, they use math, science, and right-brained thinking just as you would use as an undergrad in engineering, but I do not think that degree would give you an advantage, say, compared to a business or science major.

NOW, the one officer job where a certain degree IS needed is Military Police Officer with a law enforcement degree...other jobs...just depends on your class rank, needs of the Corps, and social events during TBS where you meet Officers and they help guide the young 2nd Lts. to the right career...like I said it is complicated...

I would recommend that if your serious about commissioning, just get that undergraduate degree in what interests you...keep your GPA up...physical training...and get involved early....if engineering is what you like, go for it...understand it is a very difficult major...and it probably won't help you get combat engineering...it won't hurt tho...if you want more typical engineering work in the military, look at the...Army...

Another good forum:
    http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Your other question...
    Anybody who signs, officer or enlisted, signs for 8 years...with a certain portion on active duty vs. reserves (active or inactive reserves).

You say with ROTC it is 4 years minimum active...I did not know that...other paths to commission, it is at least three years ( I believe...)...and say you do three years and want out, you'd be on inactive reserves for five years...they would most likely never need you (most likely not "mess with you" as my OSO put it...)...

Now I am not a Marine but I have done quite a bit of research on the Officer side of things and I was working towards that but decided not for me right now...work hard and you will reach your goals...whatever you decide...

Any other questions I will try and help...

Mostly good gouge from BULLDAWG; however, a couple things need to be fixed. First, for a prior their previous MOS has absolutely no bearing on them getting a certain MOS as an officer. Like BULLDAWG alluded to, there is a system in place at TBS to award new Lt's their MOS's and prior MOS is not one of the criteria. Also, a degree in Engineering will not help either. There is a possibility for Marines to get a certain MOS if they are eminently qualified for a certain job for whatever reason, but there are only like 2 or 3 of those that get chosen in an entire year, during which somewhere in the vicinity of 2100 Lt's will go through TBS.

Finally, for length of service, you will, regardless of commissioning source serve at least 4 years of active duty. Well unless your a dirt bag and get yourself kicked out..but lets not go down that road.

Thread Information