Should I commission USMC or USN?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I commission USMC or USN?

I've always wanted to commission and i've narrowed it down to these two branches. I'm a freshman industrial and systems engineering major at my university, and I'm in love with both the idea of leading Marines as well as being a Submarine officer. I'm fairly fit, I currently score a 260 on the USMC PT test, and I workout 4-6 times a week and eat healthy. I have no criminal record and my gpa for this semester so far is a 3.75 cummilative. I heard it helps me that I'm African-American, so I feel I'm competitive enough for both programs (Marine PLC and Navy NUPOC) I just need to choose. I am applying and trying PLC juniors this upcoming summer if given the opportunity and NUPOC as soon as I finish one more semester of physics. My biggest concern with the Marines is that they don't have anything related to my engineering degree, at least from what I've read. Will the leadership and experience they have balance out the lack of engineering experience for when I go back to civilian world? I like the intensity of the Corps, but at the same time i like the prestige of the Navy engineering program. Any suggestions? If you don't mind, please be detailed in your answer. Thanks!

One more thing, I should also add that I plan on getting my MBA once I left the military, not sure yet if I'd use it more towards business or engineering but that's the plan. Finally, if I should go USMC, what MOS would be ideal? I was thinking infantry, I mean, why else join the USMC, you can be a pilot in any branch (no offense to pilots) but yeah, intelligence or infantry. But if you have any other suggestions please feel free to give your $.02

You won't get any response until you fill out a profile.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Two things.

1. A 260 pft will not cut it for the Marine Corps Officer Program. The competition is through the roof.

2. You say infantry as if every other job is meaningless, then you mention you want intelligence. Contradiction.

Also, in the Marines, you wont get to choose your MOS. You'll get to put in a wish list, then the Marine Corps will tell you what you're going to do. In the Navy, you even say the word submarine under your breath and you'll get it (as long as you're qualified).

I have to be honest here. If in your heart.... the Marine Corps is not calling you...go for a commission in the Navy. The best Marines are the ones who are called. And that is true for enlisted and commissioned Marines.

Semper Fi,
    DrZ

Thanks for the input. I mentioned I was currently at a 260 PFT but I'm working on it. I was at a 210 so I've seen a lot of improvement. No one really approached the question on USMC and an engineering degree. It seems you can have a degree in pretty much anything and be set on the civilian side when you come out. It looks shady for engineering majors because they end up not actually getting experience in their field. Please don't take offense to the infantry thing, it's just something i keep hearing over and over again. "Why join the Marines if you're not going to be infantry" and it seems to make sense, if I'm incorrect there I apologize. Do any of you know any Marines that joined with an engineering degree and were successful when transferring out? That's my number one question out of everything

Also, why do people keep putting questions like these down stating "the USMC is a calling, if you don't hear it don't join." Isn't joining the armed services itself a calling? The reason I hear 99% of my friends that enlisted in the Corps after high school wasn't that it was a calling, it was b/c they wanted to be a "badass," and that the Marines were the best. The only reason I had that quote about infantry earlier, is because the Marines are known for their infantry, and they are also known that technically they aren't the #1 branch to join as far as technology, for it's not their mission. I personally am semi-willing (not sure b/c I'm not informed enough yet) to sacrifice my degree in order to lay down my pencil and pick up a sword, but when the fight is over i would like to lay down my sword and pick the pencil back up. Does it work that way for engineers or not?

What your friends said about the Corps...that's the calling. You either want to be the best or you don't. There's nothing confusing about that. If you want to lead Marines, and you qualify to do so, then do it. If you don't want to lead Marines, then do something else. Where's the question in this?

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    You may not be commission material at all. Early on, someone asked you to fill out your profile per site rules but you kept on posting without doing so.
    As an officer you will expect your orders to be carried out.
    How can you expect that when you cannot follow instructions yourself.
    If a moderator sees this he will delete this thread until a profile is up, then will reopen up, But dont take my word for it

Semi-helpful. Thanks for all the input, but I'm still not getting the advice on the engineering perspective. The reason I'm not gung-ho like my friends is because I can't be moto about joining something I have little information about.

Quote Originally Posted by hjohns43 View Post
    Also, why do people keep putting questions like these down stating "the USMC is a calling, if you don't hear it don't join." Isn't joining the armed services itself a calling? The reason I hear 99% of my friends that enlisted in the Corps after high school wasn't that it was a calling, it was b/c they wanted to be a "badass," and that the Marines were the best. The only reason I had that quote about infantry earlier, is because the Marines are known for their infantry, and they are also known that technically they aren't the #1 branch to join as far as technology, for it's not their mission. I personally am semi-willing (not sure b/c I'm not informed enough yet) to sacrifice my degree in order to lay down my pencil and pick up a sword, but when the fight is over i would like to lay down my sword and pick the pencil back up. Does it work that way for engineers or not?
    I told myself I wasn't going to respond to you again since you had not filled out your profile but since you don't understand the 'calling'... I will respond again. An Officer of Marines is much different than an officer of the other services. The Marine Officer is selfless. Part of his charter is to make sure each and everyone of his men are taken care of prior to taking care of his/her needs. Making sure they have all they need to ensure they can carry on with the task. Having the nads to go up the chain to fight for anything they believe is an injustice. Making sure you know the name of each and something about each one of them. Knowing them well enough to be able to fight for a promotion, when (if) they are wounded...to be able to personalize your concern to them, or assist in notification of next of kin.

This is so different than the other services...where it is a me first mindset. So unless you can do all this... join the Navy. Then you don't have to be concerned about all the above.

As far as being an engineer in the Marine Corps. That really depends on what form of engineer you are talking about. If you are talking about an EE...they have the same need of your degree as they do a degree in Fine Arts. If you are talking about a Civil or a ME...then perhaps there is some use for you. You can finish your tour and go find a job in any of the engineering fields.

I entered the Marines with part of my BA in finance. The Marine Corps decided I would be better in electronics and that is where I spent my 8+ years. When I got out, I went back to school and got my BSEE, MSEE, and a doctorate in electrophysics. If I was going in today, with my degrees, it would be the Air Force since they have use for scientists whereas the Marine Corps does not.

Do as you see fit since I have no better way to explain the calling to you.

Semper Fi,
    DrZ

I noticed you stated IE as your degree plan. You may be able to fit / fill a civil engineering slot in the Marine Corps which is needed.

Z

Aside from the "job" you'll do in the military either choice is honorable.How ever there is a reason why "once a Marine always a Marine"Also how many navy,air force,army, coast guard flags do you see flying in your home town?I don't know if its a calling but if you aren't sure you want to be a Marine join some other branch.It's a lot more than your mos or job.Marine officers are unique among all military Leaders!As are Marine ncos.Hate to be this adamant but its been 50 years since I enlisted and I'm still a Marine and everyone around me knows it.I work in a high school and the kids are always asking about the corps.I think the Marine recruiters that come to us think I'm a Hdqrters Marine Corps undercover agent.I always greet them and bring kids to see them. Nothing wrong with the navy,it just isn't the Marine Corps. Semper Fi

My honest opinion with absolutely no disrespect intended:given everything you've mentioned, I would recommend giving the USN a hard look. PM me if you have any additional questions.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only degree that would have a relative crossover component in the Marines is law. Other than that you could have a degree in underwater basket weaving and it would be treated the same as an engineering degree as far as commisioning goes. I know several officers and one enlisted that completed their MBA while on active duty. Lot to think about for sure.

Thread Information