Looking for a job before boot camp
Create Post

Looking for a job before boot camp

I am a reservist DEP and currently unemployed and I'm looking for a job before boot in February. (I'd prefer not to be a drain on unemployment)

I got an interview with a private company soon and I know that by law, once you start work, if you have military obligations they must hold your position for you. Thing is, with recruit training (3 months), marine combat training (1 month), and my MOS school (8-9 months), itll be a full year from start to finish. I'd feel guilty about an employer taking me on and then bailing for a year. What would you guys do? Would you bring this up during the interview or just keep quiet about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Engineerjet View Post
    I am a reservist DEP and currently unemployed and I'm looking for a job before boot in February. (I'd prefer not to be a drain on unemployment)

I got an interview with a private company soon and I know that by law, once you start work, if you have military obligations they must hold your position for you. Thing is, with recruit training (3 months), marine combat training (1 month), and my MOS school (8-9 months), itll be a full year from start to finish. I'd feel guilty about an employer taking me on and then bailing for a year. What would you guys do? Would you bring this up during the interview or just keep quiet about it?
    Keep quiet, especially if its a small business on the East Coast. They are much more likely not to adhere to federal regulations. Once you are hired, wait a few weeks and then tell them that you are thinking about enlisting, then tell them you enlisted a couple weeks after that and are going to boot camp in February but will be back after your training is done.

That's what I would do, but I am a degenerate. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Agree with arraziaaa
    If it comes up in the interviews-tell the truth
    Otherwise -protect yourself

The law you refer to (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) says the employer must hold A job
    Not the current one you have and does not detail pay rate -for what it is worth

From what I read I thought it stated that you must be treated "as if you never left". So I'm not sure how that would play out.

Gehrij is correct. I was an HR Director for 15 years. The employer has to offer you a position at the same level you were in when you went on active duty. Doesnt have to be at the same location you were previously at or on the same shift. You have 30 days from the date you completed active duty training to inform the company that you want to work for them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineerjet View Post
    I'd feel guilty about an employer taking me on and then bailing for a year.
    I wouldn't - don't - won't.
    Work while you can.
    I don't owe an employer/customer anything but one job or a day's work at a time,
    sufficient notice, and a thanks for the employment; but i've decided to move on, got things to do places to see

Do you mean even if you were doing the reserves, you would just stay quiet to get the job first, then quit when you went to boot?

Credits
    Savings
    Slinger
    Spot on
    Used to be you hired on for life now it's as you said "at will"
    That's on both sides of the fence

Used to be a company would give you notice and expect the same in return

Today any of us can be told thank you - you are done

When is your shipdate to boot camp?

it is being moved around right now so i'm not certain of an exact date. but i know itll be in February.

My Old Stuff in Grey: Work while you can

Well, only advice I can give you is is if you're wanting to get a job before you leave for recruit training, get one, and when the time comes for you to leave, then give your 2 weeks notice.
    And when you do find one, I wouldn't go around and tell others that you're leaving for Marine Corps boot camp either. No need to mention that to others until the time comes.

I understand. It is not something I am advertising, just something that if I were an employer I would appreciate the courtesy heads up. Then again like others have said, the courtesy used to be both ways, now its pretty much fending for yourself.

I still have about 6 months until ship so I could just work for that time. I just feel guilty knowing I have to leave for training for a year and not telling them before they hired me. Who knows? They may be awesome people to work with and possible career, so I hope not to blacklist myself as the guy who knew he was leaving and said nothing. The law is one thing, but real life is another.

Blacklisted you won't assuming you are not in senior leadership where the business community becomes more than fraternal. But be prepared to respond should HR or a VP asks you why you did what you did. The employee pool is pretty big; if you "appear" to intentionally mislead your employer, well..."yous take your chance." Good luck. Understand your predictament.

Semper fi

Dates change, people change their mind, and things happen. What if you decide not to go in, or the corps changes your departure date?

Will you wish you had applied for a job then?

In the MD DC VA area, we are all AT WILL employees. That means if tomorrow my manager doesn't like the color car I drive in, he can fire me. He doesn't need a verbal and a writen notice beforehand. I'm currently looking for another new job, 4 months before I leave in February. What will I tell my new employer? Nothing. Not until 3 weeks out, and even then they may let me go to fill the spot with someone else.

Thread Information