Tech jobs outside the wire?
Create Post

Tech jobs outside the wire?

Hello!

I am looking for a field that, as the title states is outside the wire, yet I feel it would be a waste of potential if I did not pursue some sort of tech field. I am looking at 06xx but so far http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/06.htm is the only site I can get any information about it, and unfortunately I do not understand most of the context, nor does it specify if the individual 06xxs are outside the wire or not. Clarification on this (or a link to a previous thread if this has been asked already) would be much appreciated.

The other field I am considering is 18xx. I have found more information about them, daily routines, being provisional infantry, etc. My first question about this is (and sorry if this sounds odd) how technical are the Abrams, AAV and EFVs becoming? I lack the proper terminology for this question, but to use cars as a metaphor, are they more mechanical with some digital / automatic features, or are they becoming more electronically sophisticated to operate?

Aside from 06xx and 18xx, are there any other fields that I may have overlooked that employ both technical / electrical qualifications and gets my boots on the ground?

I have one other question on 18xx which is crew survivability. I read a forum post here about that a bit but if I am truly going to consider a combat-oriented field, I'd like to know what i am getting myself into, and I want to apologize in advance for bringing up a bad subject to a lot of people but I think it's a question that should be asked. Information like that is pretty hard to find on the internet. lots of pictures of destroyed armor and youtube videos of IED attacks, but I've seen some pretty bad car wrecks where the driver lives with relatively minor injuries. I am curious as to how often do the amphibious vehicles find themselves victims to IEDs (not too many IEDs on beaches and shores I dont think?), and someone mentioned most abrams crew fatalities were actually from drowning. I can in fact see that happening, but is it difficult to get out of a tank that quickly? Again, thank you and salute to all the Marines that deal with this on a daily basis.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello buddy, I can tell you that as a 2844, you will be goin outside the wire. Ground radio repairman. The school is pretty long, but you may receive a bonus. Ask your recruiter about it and see what he says.

28xx also do a lot of other electronic repairs.
    BTW, I am an 0651/0653

interesting field, I can see why I overlooked this one though all of them require 115 in EL on the ASVAB I only scored 109. On the other side most of them (2844 excluded) require me to be E-5. After being in the Corps long enough to become Sgt. would I be allowed to retake the ASVAB while active duty if I wanted to pursue something like this?

and Giveen how are you enjoying those fields?

Quote Originally Posted by PFCPoolee View Post
    interesting field, I can see why I overlooked this one though all of them require 115 in EL on the ASVAB I only scored 109. On the other side most of them (2844 excluded) require me to be E-5. After being in the Corps long enough to become Sgt. would I be allowed to retake the ASVAB while active duty if I wanted to pursue something like this?

Ask your recruiter about the command/control electrician contract (DB code enlistment option). This is the one for you.

You can re-take the ASVAB on active duty to try and qualify for a lateral move.

Im pretty sure your options are limited with your asvab score. But you always have the option to Lat move down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PFCPoolee View Post

LOL, I have been out now for 4 years. I did enjoy my MOS for the first 4 years. My last year in civilians severely took over my job and I really didn't do much. So it was one of the reasons why I got out.

The 0651 really only does stuff now when you are deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutten View Post
    Im pretty sure your options are limited with your asvab score.
    What do you mean by "limited"? With an EL of 109, the only tech job that has an EL requirement that he does not qualify for is electronics maintenance (28xx). Every thing else he far exceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Ask your recruiter about the command/control electrician contract (DB code enlistment option). This is the one for you.
    Thank you, SSgt. Will look more into it.

By the Way, SSgt. I came across this thread. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=102693
    You just answered a few more questions I was looking for! To expand that topic a bit more, if the Utilities portion only includes the electrical 11xx's, does the Communication have any excluded 06xx fields? Thank you again.

28xx techs go outside the wire sometimes if youre in a grunt unit. I wouldnt expect you to go on patrols at LMaco or whatever that place is. 06xx go out. Im a 0621 Radio operator and we attach to squads for footpatrols and such. Any MOS attached to a grunt unit can go out. I have buddies who are admin, techs, data, radio, intel, armorers who all went out on foot patrols and were in firefights. Just depends on the needs

Thank you for the information LCpl. Unfortunately 28xx is one of the fields I dont qualify for, But 06xx is sounding interesting. 18xx is still on the table though I just have to figure out if my desire to do that is a calling, or the little child in me who just wants to drive a tank. I dont want to make the same mistakes twice haha.

Hello again, I am back after another session of info searching and came across something interesting. I am mainly writing this really to see if it would let me (I've tried to post in a few threads and said I either don't have privileges to or my account got banned[?]) if it lets me post, I have questions to ask so its not a waste of breath

I've been under the impression that I could choose specific MOS fields (specific fields like 18xx not specific jobs like 1812. I do know the difference) when I came across a possibly outdated .pdf file from a MSgt on this forum http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...W%20CH%201.pdf

I noticed 1800 does not have it's own contract code, which means if I wanted 18xx I would need to pick CE-Combat Support (or B6-Ground Option, but I am not even considering it) and hope the Marine Corps needs 18xx. Which is okay with me, I was actually considering artillery cannoneer and LAAD sounds like something I would enjoy using. Although from what I hear the Middle East is on short supply of aircraft, which brings me to my first question. How much of a demand is there for LAAD?

2nd question. Like I said that MOS source may be outdated. is CE the only way to hope to get 18xx or am I mistaken and I actually can sign an 18xx contract, similar to how 03xx has their own contract?

3rd question. If my above link is indeed outdated (it's dated 110602, but if MSgt says it might be outdated, then it might be outdated.) is there a more recent version I can find?

These are all questions I intend on asking my recruiter as well, however responses from both may vary so it wont hurt to ask (I hope)
    Thank you again

The only way that you can pick your specific MOS is if you go as a Reservist. If you want 18XX, then you will have to go with the CE enlistment package. The funny thing I have seen, is that a lot of guys get an MOS that they didn't want, but they love it anyways. Don't forget that it is all about become a Marine first. You can LAT move to a specific MOS after a certain amount of time, until then, get your foot in the door. Enlisting now is very competitive and you should consider yourself lucky to even get a boat space at this point.

Thank you for clarifying, Sgt. M.

So I've been weighing my options and decided on the DB enlistment package. I just got word that there was an opening so I'll be filling out paperwork for that today and shipping out in 2 months. you all were very helpful and I thank you again for your time!

Thread Information