I need some clarification regarding IST crunches.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I need some clarification regarding IST crunches.

Hello. First off, to any Marines, (serving or retired) and to their families, thank you for all you do for all of us!

I am planning on enlisting in the military very soon. I have narrowed my choices down to the Marine Corps or the Coast Guard. In seeking information about both branches, I realized that each branch has it's own physical test, with the Marine Corps being the IST. I notices that one of the things in crunches. I want to know the correct form for these, so that I can practice. There are so many variations of sit-up, crunches, etc out there. For instance, in the fire academy, we had to do them with hands clasped behind the head, elbows had to touch the knees, and then we had to return to where the shoulder blades touched the floor. I am in excellent shape, am a volunteer firefighter, teach PT at the fire academy, and am a special police officer. I just want to make sure I am practicing correctly so that if I do decide on the Marine Corps, I am ready.

Thank you for any and all help, and once again for your service to this country.

Whith the crunches for the IST you will lay in the following manner.

You will lay flat on your back, hands will grasp your biceps just above your elbows, and your arms will lay flat on your stomach. With your hands and arms in the following position you will proceed to "crunch" upward until your forearms touch your thighs then move back down until your shoulderblades touch the floor.

That is 1 rep. You have 2 minutes to do as many reps as possible.

At no time will you be able to swing your arms or lift your butt off the floor for any type of momentum.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much SSgt Lamie!

Credits
    Savings
    Well, you need only to do 100. Anything more is superfluous. It's not bad, but you won't get points for more than 100.

What is a "special" police officer? Do they make you wear a helmet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me4Ju3CTVMs

Last edited by Sergeant M; 09-03-11 at 11:51 PM. Reason: might as well help...

LOL. A "Special Police Officer" in most states (including mine) is someone that is basically a private cop, with full arrest powers (and sometimes gun carry ability) to protect private property. Typically employed by malls, factories, etc. They can do everything 'real' police do within their very limited jurisdictions.

Thread Information