Marine Officer Programs - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    my question is to anyone out there who can answer it. ive got a secret clearance and im stationed in kings bay georgia. i did very well on the asvab test though i have no college courses under my belt. im beginning to complete mcis as fast as i can get them. what would be the proper or best way to obtain a commission? thanks to anyone who should reply. semper fi

0311/8152 USMC

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good on you for getting your PME squared away. It goes without saying that you need to stay squared away and keep your nose clean. Start asking some of the officers around your unit about their careers, and let them know you are interested in pursuing a commission. Talk to your unit's career planner and ask him/her about some of the different programs like MECEP and the Naval Academy. Keep your immediate chain of command advised of your intentions as well. It also would be very beneficial to enroll in some off-duty college courses if you have the time to do so. You can probably plan on being a senior corporal (at least) before acceptance to these programs, but the sooner you start the ball rolling (researching information on the different programs, possible some college courses) the better.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Originally posted by jdfairman
    A 2.86 GPA and an awesome run time can carry you pretty far. The main problem with lacking pullups is that each one counts for five points of your PFT. Do the math. Thats alot of points. Its hard to give you a solid answer. It all depends on how many slots are available this year and how competitive it is.
    If you don't mind me asking, how many pullups can you do at this point? What is your current PFT score? How fast is the run? How many crunches?
    Well sir I can do about 6-7 pullups, which is embarassing to admit but it's twice what I could do a month ago. The last run I timed myself was just under 20:00 and if I push myself harder during the PFT it should be even lower. I did 100 crunches in 1:40 which wasn't much of a problem. I know that at this rate by the time PLC actually starts I'll be able to do many more pullups. Thanks for the help!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up College Program

Blakeney,
    Welcome aboard. I'm glad to see a college program mid, because I know very little about the program. I don't remember who said it, but they were absolutely right: recruiters are not the best people to talk to to get information about officer programs because they of course recruit primarily enlisted. However, they can still be very useful, because they can help you get in touch with the right people. I only talked with recruiters before becoming a midshipman, and because of that I didn't know college program existed, so I would've gone MECEP if I hadn't gotten the scholarship!

Any questions about the NROTC/MECEP programs, just throw them out there. Between Blakeney, myself, and all the Marines out there, we should be able to answer it.

Good luck to all trying to earn the title,
    Jo

Hello, I'm interested in becoming an officer through the MECEPS program. I was just wondering about the MOS's for female officers. I've been doing some research on it and I've heard from others that female officer mos's are limited. So which/how many are open to women?

mainly the 03xx series is not open to females. That would translate to any combat (infantry, artilley...) unit. I thought you were going into intel? Have you changed or are wanting to change your MOS?

Well I'm enlisting as Intel but I thought when you become an officer you had to take on a different type of job or something like that. When I checked out the main Marines site about officer mos's I didn't really see anything pertaining to Intel. That's why I was wondering about the mos's.

Check your PM's. I sent you a message.

Sir, I would like to start off by saying thank you for helping out in any way possible as sometimes it seems as it is difficult to approach officers as they are to busy or we dont want to interrupt anything they might be doing. I am looking into putting my MECEP package in next fiscal year so I have plenty of time for preparation and getting everything needed. My ASVAB score from MEPS is only a 65 and I was wondering if I should re-take it to get my score higher or if it makes that big of a difference? I am also in a few college classes and should be very close to an assoiciates degree before putting my package in, though I have not taken my SAT. Is that something else I should look into or is that just another 'add on' so to speak? i will probably have many more questions but of coarse when I sit down to ask them, I forget. But thank you again Sir and Semper Fi to all the Marines on this board.

Sorry I would like to correct myself by saying Gentlemen for all of the Officers that are helping and didn't mean anything by just saying Sir. Thanks again to everyone who is helping on this board, i.e. Officers, Senior Enlisted, and Midshipmen.

Your SATs are your biggest concern right now. If you don't have a valid score (or it isn't over 1000), get take the test ASAP. That'll give you a chance to retake it if you aren't happy with the score and also let you know any potential areas you should focus your study on.

Alright, I'll get that going ASAP. Thanks Sir.

what should my major be if i want to become an intellegence officer?

Quote Originally Posted by Harden77441 View Post
    what should my major be if i want to become an intellegence officer?
    Your major does not matter too much in MOS selection, unless you become proficient in a foreign language. As long as you get a degree you are good to go, MOS selection is done at TBS.

They break the TBS class in to 3 parts: top middle bottom. The top one of each gets part first choice, second, third and so on (I hope that makes sense). If you are at the bottom of any of the parts (even bottom of the top) you get the last pick. Though I have heard that there may be other influences too. Most people get one of their top 3(?) choices.

This ensures diversity among the MOSs

Ok now I have got a scheduled time to take my ASVAB and SAT, what would any recommendations be to start after those? I have a friend who says he has a disc that guides him along setting up the MECEP package; does anyone know where I could find that or something similar or should I just pretty much just follow the order?

Thread Information