Marine Officer Programs - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm new here and am looking into my options. I'm looking into becoming a Marine Reserve Officer, but all I can find is a program for previously enlisted Marines to become Reserve Officers. Can someone without prior enlisted experience be commissioned an officer in the Reserves?

The answer is "yes" - please fill out your profile so we know a little about you.

Speak to an OSO about an OCC -Reserve contract.

I work at an OSO office right now as a PTAD.

Also, I see you're pre-law. Are you interested in the JAG option at all?

Quote Originally Posted by tmackay3302 View Post
    I'm new here and am looking into my options. I'm looking into becoming a Marine Reserve Officer, but all I can find is a program for previously enlisted Marines to become Reserve Officers. Can someone without prior enlisted experience be commissioned an officer in the Reserves?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tmackay3302 View Post
    Another Son of Virginia. Whatever advice I could offer would be sorely outdated unfortunately. I'm sure the Lt. is on top of things and won't steer you wrong

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

tmackay,

I believe that your local OSO is the
    OSO Salem.

The number for that particular office is
    (540) 387-1942.
    The address is:
    306 E Main St,
    Salem, VA 24153

When you call or visit the office, they are going to ask you a series of qualifying questions. They will ask about your medical history, your criminal record, your drug use, your workout habits, etc.
    If you have any tattoos, this is very important;
    All tattoos require a waiver. For any Officer Applicant with tattoos, the Marine Corps requires administrative review based upon digital photography and description of all tattoos. The Commanding General of Marine Corps Recruiting Command has final decision authority on all tattoo waivers. Any tattoo on the hands, head, face, and/or neck is an automatic disqualifier. An excessive number of tattoos is disqualifying. Any tattoo that is considered prejudicial to good order and discipline, of gang or extremist nature, of prohibited or questionable size, in a prohibited or questionable location is disqualifying. You can find the Marine Corps' policy on tattoos online through a Maradmin or MCO search.

If you've done any drugs beyond Marijuana, you're automatically disqualified.
    You must be a U.S. Citizen. You must meet the Marine Corps weight standards (which can easily be looked up.) You must have an SAT score with combined Math and Verbal exceeding 1000 or a combined ACT score of 23. If you do not meet either of those criteria, you must take the ASVAB and must post an AFQT score of 74 or higher. You need to have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better and you must also have a 2.0 or better in your most recent semester. You're still in school, so you must maintain at least 12 credits (or equivalent load in a non-semester system) each semester you're in the program.

The age you listed in the profile is within the Marine Corps' age requirements for the Officer programs. However, as you are a junior in college, you're ineligible for OCC. You would not be eligible to apply for OCC until you are a senior in college. You would be eligible for PLC, but there is no reserve option in the PLC program. To help you understand what the process would entail; if you chose to pursue the OCC-Reserve option, you would complete an application process, contract (after being medically and physically qualified by your OSO) to attend OCS, go to one of the OCC classes, (probably OCC 211 or 212 for you) then TBS and then MOS school. Following MOS school you would assume reserve status.

The application requires many things from you. You will need a certified copy or your original birth certificate and social security card. You will need to provide transcripts from your current college and all previously attended schools. You will need to provide documentation of your SAT/ACT scores (or ASVAB when applicable.) You will need to take a picture in appropriate business attire (suit and tie.) You will need to write a 100 word essay outlining your reasons behind your decision to pursue a commission in the United States Marine Corps. You will need 5 reference letters. 1 will be from your school's registrar's office and is only used to determine whether or not you've ever been on academic probation or faced some disciplinary action. You will need a reference from a professor, from your employer, and from two "others." Additionally, you will need to take and pass a PFT.
    What it means to pass the PFT for an Officer application is that you must post a 1st class score. This is a 225. Currently, 4th Marine Corps Recruiting District requires a 240+ to submit a contract. However, OCC is very competitive and a 240 will absolutely not get you selected. It is strongly recommended that OCC applicants have scores above 280.

The PFT consists of three scored events; the pull-up/flexed arm hang, crunches, and the 3-mile run. For males, pull-ups are required and you are given 5 points for each pull-up with a maximum score of 100. You are allowed 2 minutes to accomplish as many crunches as possible, each crunch worth 1 point achieving a maximum of 100. The 3-mile run is scored as follows; for males, 18 minutes is perfect. Each 10 seconds off 18 minutes is a reduction of 1 point from the possible 100. For females, the time is 21 minutes with the same 1 point reduction for every 10 seconds.

I believe the minimum required scores for induction into OCS are 10 pull ups, 80 crunches, and 22:59 3-mile run for males. If you fail to meet any of those, regardless of your total score, you will not be inducted into OCS.

That just about covers all of the preliminary information. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Semper Fi

UMDStudent24, I am a senior in high school and I ship out to bootcamp on June 27. I will be a 0621 reservist with the 4th LAR Bn. But my plan is to go to college and apply for the PLC program. I have about a 260 PFT right now and got an 86 on my ASVAB. Do you have any suggetions for me as to what I should do, or how to contact my local OSO. I know he is in Santa Ana, CA but I have not been able to find their number or location in Santa Ana. Does being a reservist make it harder or easier to get into PLC? I heard that it is harder. Thank you for any advice I get.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Great job Lt. thank you

Fair winds

My biggest suggestion to you is that you should concentrate on succeeding at boot camp. OCS and the path to becoming an Officer are quite far down the road. If you're near your OSO, it doesn't hurt to drop by and introduce yourself (this helps in many ways, believe me.) However, it is way too early to start anything. Until you are enrolled and attending classes at a college or university there isn't anything you can do with the application process. You've made a commitment to be a Marine; work on upholding that commitment. Make sure you send an email or a call or introduce yourself like I suggested before, and they'll help you set up a timeline for after boot camp.
    Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by James321 View Post
    UMDStudent24, I am a senior in high school and I ship out to bootcamp on June 27. I will be a 0621 reservist with the 4th LAR Bn. But my plan is to go to college and apply for the PLC program. I have about a 260 PFT right now and got an 86 on my ASVAB. Do you have any suggetions for me as to what I should do, or how to contact my local OSO. I know he is in Santa Ana, CA but I have not been able to find their number or location in Santa Ana. Does being a reservist make it harder or easier to get into PLC? I heard that it is harder. Thank you for any advice I get.

Marine Friend Free Member mattraburn's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My recruiter told me i was eligible for a NROTC scholarship because my ASVAB was high enough. He led me to believe that i would go to Parris Island, go through bootcamp, and once i completed that i would go straight to college. I trust my recruiter, he has never lied to me, however, this is the next 8+ years of my life riding on this. So i just thought i would try to get a little more info before making my decision. Does anyone on here have a good idea about how that would work?

You don't go to bootcamp on a NROTC scholarship. but I am going to bootcamp, then after MOS school im going to college, since I joined the reserves. If you join the reserves you try for the PLC commissioning program.

Silly question but is there anyway around some of these requirements for OCS? I was wondering if it was possible to be enlisted and get some rank under your belt and apply to OCS at a later date?

I am going to be 27 at months end and i know you cant get your commission later than 31 so its lookin like crunch time

OSO or other plan

I am new to this website and have appreciated searching but it is overwhelming.

I applied for and did not get the NROTC Marine Scholarship. My recruiter convinced me that the best way was to DEP so I did. My ship date is August 8th for boot camp and active duty. I still want to be an officer. I will not back out of my commitment as friends have suggested. Should I try to get in touch with an OSO or is it too late for that? What would be my best plan to become an officer? BTW I will be a marine either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob824 View Post
    I am new to this website and have appreciated searching but it is overwhelming.

I applied for and did not get the NROTC Marine Scholarship. My recruiter convinced me that the best way was to DEP so I did. My ship date is August 8th for boot camp and active duty. I still want to be an officer. I will not back out of my commitment as friends have suggested. Should I try to get in touch with an OSO or is it too late for that? What would be my best plan to become an officer? BTW I will be a marine either way!
    If you enlisted for active duty, then ask your recruiter to talk to you about MECEP. Pays for your college and pays you as a Marine while you attend college, then graduate college with a comission provided you meet all the requirements.

If you enlisted for reserves, talk to your local OSO after you graduate boot camp and are enrolled in college.

You can still talk to an OSO now, but chances are he will tell you that you need to fulfill your contract since I am assuming that you have no plans for college right now.

Thank you sir. I will have an Associates Degree before I leave for PI. Does that make any difference? I did a dual enrollment program with the local Community College so I will graduate HS and CC at about the same time.

Call the OSO and talk to him. Can't hurt you.

Thread Information