Sending letters from boot camp to another country?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Sending letters from boot camp to another country?

Hello Marines! I have a question that I can't seem to find any information on.

I'd like to send my friend in Peru letters from boot camp, and I'm not really sure if they would have a problem with that or not... So is this possible? Or do any of you see a problem with it? Any help would be appreciated.

I ship out 110919 and I can't wait!

I don't see why this would present any sort of problem...it's not as if they have to walk it there or anything. Just be certain that you have enough postage on them so that they don't keep coming back to you..find out what postage you should put on before you ship...

Quote Originally Posted by russellagain View Post
    Hello Marines! I have a question that I can't seem to find any information on.

I'd like to send my friend in Peru letters from boot camp, and I'm not really sure if they would have a problem with that or not... So is this possible? Or do any of you see a problem with it? Any help would be appreciated.

I ship out 110919 and I can't wait!
    According to this, the postage is $0.98. Just put the correct amount of stamps on, (I think three is the amount that you'll need) make sure you have the right address, and it'll get there. It just gets dropped in a normal mailbox right next to the chow hall anyway. Nothing special about boot camp mail.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks! Both of you!

Credits
    Savings
    You will get a book of first class stamps or may be able to purchase them from the PX. You will not have access to other stamps unless someone sends them to you.

Just drop them in the mail box next to the chow hall as previously mentioned. No one will know that you sent it out.

Receiving mail from Peru might be a different story though. The Drill Instructors might question you about it though. I received a couple letters from a friend who had already made Cpl stationed in Miramar by the time I made it to boot camp and they asked me who he was and his MOS, and that was it.

I know some people who received letters with happy birthday stamps that got hammered on the quarter deck. One smart guy received a letter marked Pfc. You can probably guess how that went...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    But there is no problem sending a letter to Peru.
    Peru has some affiliation with factions of the communist party......you may be able to send a letter without question and with proper postage.....but receiving a letter back....may or may not be questionable.

Used to be you couldn't correspond with countries with communist affliation.....however the political party of Peru is democratic and the commie party is a faction so there probally won' be a problem.

Depends on who the letter is from....and who is up on the history at the PO or mail call.....actually I don't know this is just my opine.

If you get called to the quarterdeck by a Marine laison and men in black you'll find out for certain.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ecom View Post
    You will get a book of first class stamps or may be able to purchase them from the PX. You will not have access to other stamps unless someone sends them to you.
    That's good advice. I know I need a certain denomination stamp to send stuff to her.

And thanks again everyone!

I'm scheduled to leave on the 19th of this month, but I was just informed today by my recruiter that I'm on standby for a spot to leave tomorrow. I'm stoked!

Thread Information