Vibrams on pavement...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vibrams on pavement...

Anybody else run on pavement with veebs? I've been running with vibrams for about a year now and I am passed the infamous calf pains. Alas, at the poolee functions we run on the road almost all the time and it takes a toll on my shins. I am looking into buying a pair of running shoes and am leaning towards New Balance Minimus either Road or Trail. Any input?

No but how much did those vibrams improve your run time when you changed your running for? I'm considering buying a pair.

I have a pair of Acsics 2150s and they work great, no pain after running just feel like my feet are on fire from the contact on the pavement.

I couldn't tell you about my run times, I started training seriously and got a pair almost immediately. A friend of mine who was in cross country got a pair and PR'd his mile time on the first run with them.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Perhaps it has to do with which model of vibes you are running in?

I'm past the calf pains myself as well, but I generally try not to run in mine anymore because they sprints simply have too thin of a sole.

Maybe a model with a thicker sole would work out better if you're running in classics or sprints, or even KSOs. Bikila/treks maybe?

Yea man, I had the Treks before, I'm running in Bikilas now. I just noticed on the last IST that i would pass people when i ran in the grass and on pavement I would get passed. I think a pair of Vibram friendly running shoes could increase my time by a minute or so. So that I can run the whole thing with my "grass time" pace, ya know?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yea, I know what you mean. I tried the running thing in my vibes, but honestly I think I would prefer to run in something with a bit more kush. I like the lack of support and the way it changes your striking pattern, but with distance running I think the thicker soles allow you to run harder when you start to get tired and your form falls apart a bit. I love squatting in them though, nothing better in my opinion!

I see a lot of people with Nike frees.

While were on the topic. Do they give you shoes in boot or do you bring your own, or how does that all work? I haven't seen it mentioned before.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure in bootcamp you have a small selection to choose from at the PX

They are called "go-fasters" in boot camp, and I believe they are still New Balance. You should get them in receiving, along with all of your other gear and such.

Thank You Ma'am!

Well I went by Dicks today to purchase a pair and the lady there gave some good info. Since its coming close to my ship date she recommended I stick with the current shoe I have that supports my foot since I have no arch.

She said If I had months to train then gradually train your feet to go from great support to none ie nike frees then to vibrams.

She also stressed about running on concrete or asphalt in those shoes so imma just stick with what I have.

Veebs? I need to start calling mine that..

But, my KSOs are the best shoes I've ever bought, worn, or even looked at. Running shoes do provide good support, but the more you use your Vibrams, the easier it will be on you later. Also, are you wearing toe socks with them? I've heard it provides more cushion and a better feel overall. You may want to give those a try.

Just please, keep your Vibrams. Always. I'd hate to be the only one at PT who gets poked fun at for wearing them.

This Poolee I usually talk to at our RS ran through his Vibrams so he went out and bought a cheap pair of swimming shoes.

His run time dropped by 15 sec and he was talking about the blisters he feels starting to come up from the swim shoes.

TheOtherGuy: I'm rockin em sockless! And I will always be a Veeb King!!! But I think I want a pair of running to shoes to be for preformance and Vibrams for training.

Soon2HaveEGA843: Did you buy a pair or didn't find it was worth it? And I guess Vibrams really are bad for concrete...

No i saved my money bro......I'll stay with my acsics.

Thread Information