Vibrams on pavement... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't get used to running in anything like Vibrams. You will never get a chance to use them throughout your whole career. It may bring your run time down for a little bit on grass because of your shoes what is it really going to do in the long run. You're better off relying on practice to change your run time.

Idk man, vibrams are a better workout and they force you to have proper forefoot strike

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yea, for me it has nothing to do with run times. All I know is that when I run in vibrams my calves are on fire (see:getting stronger), and when I run in regular shoes I don't feel them at all.

I wish I had something other than my sprints though. The sole is just -so- thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blop View Post
    Yea, for me it has nothing to do with run times. All I know is that when I run in vibrams my calves are on fire (see:getting stronger), and when I run in regular shoes I don't feel them at all.

I wish I had something other than my sprints though. The sole is just -so- thin.

Like Soon2HaveEGA843 said Aciscs are great I bought a pair of 2160's when m shin splints started to get bad and I haven't had shin pain since I bought them. They cost me 100$ but they were 100% worth it.

I have the 2150s and they did cost around the 80-100 dollar range. They helped me with my flat feet problems. Hopefully the go fasters in boot will be as good or I will have a time running. First thing I plan on buying at the Recruit PX is a pair of insoles. I want to bring the ones I have but I don't think I can do that since its not on the list of things to bring.

lol i bought a pair of asics for like 30 bucks from a discount shoe store they are definately some badace running shoes. I bought them when I first depped and now they are almost dead. So it appears as if I am doing decently for the recommended amount of running especially if you are sticking by the advice to buy a pair of running shoes and wear them out before you hit RT.

I love running in my Vibrams. They dropped my running time by over a minute from my Reebok Zic-tecs. They got rid of all arch and knee pain (though that may have just been getting in better shape). It's easier to keep momentum up hills too. I'm thinking about getting something with just a bit more cushioning though. If you don't land your foot just right it can be jarring and mess up your pace. What model of New Balance are the "go-fasters"?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    What model of New Balance are the "go-fasters"?
    I'm not quite positive, but the model might be New Balance 574 GS. As you can see, they're nothing fancy. Once you get out of boot camp, you can get a good pair of your own.

So since I have a arch problem and need the added support, when will we be able to purchase some sort of insole foot support?

Those look like the won't help but just add problems but I'll deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    So since I have a arch problem and need the added support, when will we be able to purchase some sort of insole foot support?

Those look like the won't help but just add problems but I'll deal with it.
    Sorry...can't help you out with that one.

I know its not listed in the booklet we get but I'm going to ask my recruiter if I can possibly take my insoles with me. Its a 50/50 chance thing an I possibly can have them which will reduce the stress on these knees.

I know or assume that majority of the time we'll be running around on dirt/grass. I know I'll lose some more weight there which will lighten up the stress my legs take but those NBs look to have no cushioning or support at all. Lol I remember back when I was in high school those were in style. 2 for 90 bucks at foot action.

Soon2HaveEGA843, here's a suggestion. Why don't you buy a pair of your own New Balance that are similar to what the recruits wear in boot camp....gray in color. Nothing fancy or loud wild colors. You may be able to wear them without having to buy a pair there....and yes, while you think you're getting them for nothing, you're not. The least that could happen is that they'll have you pack them away with your civilian clothes and you won't see them again until your ready to graduate.

Yes ma'am, I'm going to run this suggestion by my recruiter first before I go and buy a pair of those. I know that gear issued to us in RT comes out of our pay that's occured during our time there.

Its just something that id like to know especially since my ship date is coming closer. Not a worry to me but just something I'm going to ask, thanks again for the advice.

Thread Information