I have old photographs
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I have old photographs

I was going through my fathers old photographs and have several from WWII , Okinawa, Saipan and Ryukus Island tour that have other Marines in the pictures as well as their names. One I know was killed in action. I was just trying to see how or where I could post names or pictures in case the other families would like to have copies of the pictures I have come across.
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks..Bj Moore

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmoor1 View Post
    I was going through my fathers old photographs and have several from WWII , Okinawa, Saipan and Ryukus Island tour that have other Marines in the pictures as well as their names. One I know was killed in action. I was just trying to see how or where I could post names or pictures in case the other families would like to have copies of the pictures I have come across.
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks..Bj Moore

What unit was your father in? My Dad was in the 6th Marines Scout-Sniper Plt on Saipan and Tinian.

Credits
    Savings
    I am working on getting that information from the National Archive., but they said it could take up to 90 days. He wrote on the back of a postcard his divisions only...and when he was where....I know he was in the 6th Marine division for the April 1,1945 attack on Okinawa, also in Guam, TsingTao and ChinwangTao. He indicated he was in the 2nd division at Saipan & Tinian however there is nothing indicating his unit.He was on the USS Hinsdale when it was struck by the Kamikazi plane. I also know he was a tank crewman and there was a diamond shape on the tanks with the number inside. I just know, if it was me, and I had the opportunity to get pictures of him from back then, I would sure try.

Credits
    Savings
    The names I have on some pics are:
    last name CERNOTA
    M."Baldy" Seidel of Iowa
    Bill Barrett
    Chick Malstead
    Willie Swigart
    ? Reyerson
    G. Budlov (George?)
    "Spider" Hansen
    Also a picture of a cemetary cross # 130, W.H. Hemmer
    Towards the end of my dads life he has gone through his photo album and torn pictures out of it, so many names and dates are covered over with glue and black paper.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am working on getting that information from the National Archive., but they said it could take up to 90 days. He wrote on the back of a postcard his divisions only...and when he was where....I know he was in the 6th Marine division for the April 1,1945 attack on Okinawa, also in Guam, TsingTao and ChinwangTao. He indicated he was in the 2nd division at Saipan & Tinian however there is nothing indicating his unit.He was on the USS Hinsdale when it was struck by the Kamikazi plane. I also know he was a tank crewman and there was a diamond shape on the tanks with the number inside. I just know, if it was me, and I had the opportunity to get pictures of him from back then, I would sure try.
    Good luck. Getting the records is easy, it just takes some wait time. My father was a grunt, but who knows, my dad and yours might have crossed paths. I know my father told me he wanted to be a tanker until he saw the insides of a few knocked-out Japanese and American tanks. Afterward, he figured he had a tiny bit more control over his life as a grunt.

Credits
    Savings
    I just posted an album with some of the pictures I have, with names dad had written on them who they were.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just posted an album with some of the pictures I have, with names dad had written on them who they were.
    Nice pics.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the two photos of tanks on the top row are from Okinawa - due to the mud and the addition of track sections on the turret for additional armor protection and the wooden boards on the tank sides to keep magnetic bombs from sticking onto the hull. The Japanese did that a lot to US tanks.

The cemetery is probably on Okinawa due to the date of death on the Marine's cross.

Most, if not all, of the remaining photos look like China to me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/obww11a.htm

For grave marker # 130 ?

Hemmer, (Master Tech. Sgt, USMC) Warren H. [KIA] #4/27/45 p8A,
    [died of wounds] #5/1/45 p5A, (photo) #5/9/45 p6A

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to everyone for the information! truly appreciated
    Bj Moore

Thread Information