Wearing ISAF or other bars awarded with NATO medal
Create Post

Wearing ISAF or other bars awarded with NATO medal

Bunch of guys in my unit just got our NATO medals for serving in Afghanistan, and I have a question on the wear of the nato medal... The ones we were awarded say ISAF across the ribbon. I'm fairly sure that I've never seen a Marine with an ISAF on a ribbon. Do we need to add these to our ribbons that we buy in the future? I'm trying to find the actual order for the wear of the ribbon so I can brief my Marines on it...

Are you asking if the ribbon should say ISAF on it, like a pewter device that pins onto the ribbon? Man, I haven't seen anything like that at all. But I'm not sure.

The order is really easy to find via Google, I looked it up recently to see which one we rate (there are two NATO medals, and they look real similar). Oh yeah, and we were told ours takes 6 months to process, which is ridiculous.

Yeah, I deffinetly hope this Q gets answered. I'm in the same boat. Except for six months?? My unit's not even back in the states yet. I had never heard of this medal, till it popped up on MOL one day.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure on the order. But I'm pretty sure that when it's worn as a medal it does have the ISAF bar. As a ribbon then no bar. Or at least that's how we've always done it

Negative. ISAF bar is NOT authorized on the ribbon or the medal when you wear it.

Direct from SECNAVINST 1650.1H (2006 revision, newest one I could find)

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...%201650.1H.pdf

e. Appropriate Wear. The NATO Medal presentation set
    may include a ribbon clasp denoting the specific operation for
    which the award was made.
    U.S. service members may retain the
    ribbon clasp if presented; however, wearing of the ribbon clasp
    with the NATO Medal or service ribbon is not authorized
    ; only
    the basic medal or service ribbon is worn. A 3/16 inch bronze
    star is affixed to the suspension ribbon and service ribbon to
    denote subsequent awards.

Oh the bar, gotcha. Yeah, I don't remember seeing that on anyone...but its not like I stare at dudes' chests at the Ball or anything.

Yeah, apparently MHG is running my crap and it takes them 6 months to process it....People are super lazy these days, and don't care about anything other than their shop...even though the whole reason their shop exists is to support others. Heck I just had a training certificate get lost....again, by MHG. To their benefit, awards I've recieved from Division have been run quicker.

Thread Information