ASVAB Math help?
Create Post

ASVAB Math help?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to get in. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Geography and Political Science from the University of Texas and I have decided to enlist first to get experience on the Enlisted side before I begin my application to OCS. Anyway, it has been nearly 4 years since I did any math in college, and even longer in High School. I've never been too great in math, and I was lucky to barely pass my math classes with a C. My problem is that I am having trouble with the Math portion of the ASVAB. I took the paper and pencil ASVAB test and I only got a 46. I know that score is very low, and I'm not proud of it. I know I need to get it up. I'm taking the ASVAB again in a few weeks. My recruiter here in Austin told me I need to find a basic high school math book of some kind and brush up on the math. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good math books or study guides or anything?

I already have both the ASVAB for Dummies book and the Officer Candidate Tests for Dummies book. I even resorted to getting Math flashcards like an idiot. I also have been having my Dad help / tutor me with the Math section. They are kind of a help, but the Math is just getting ridiculous for me. I did well on all of the other sections of the ASVAB. But its the 2 Mathematics sections that I'm having the trouble with. I just feel like an idiot, I mean I have a Bachelor's Degree, but I can't even pass a simple test like the ASVAB because I'm bad in Math. I feel like a moron over this, and I just want to get the test over with and move on to MEPs and my physical and everything so I can find out what jobs I qualify for. Anyway sorry this is so long guys, it's just frustrating as Hell.

Thanks,
    -Tyler.

If it helps, I just redid my ASVAB and the math on my test was no where near as hard as the test books questions. Get the basic fractions down and you should be good. Also take your time on the reading in the math. Don't assume right away you know what the question is asking. Read it three times.

Worked for me and I absolutely suck at math and haven't seen a school in over 15 years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sweetie - welcome aboard but, you are in the wrong room. There is a special place for everybody that isn't a Marine to ASK A MARINE whatever question that may pop into your head. A lot of us older Marines can't tell you squat about how things are being run in the Corps today but, we have better stories to tell than the younger Marines do.

A little bit of advice - if you're no good at math, doing badly on the math part of the ASVAB might be what you want to do. The ASVAB is not a pass or fail test. It helps the Corps figure out what you are good at and place you accordingly. Now, if you are like the rest of the newbies around here, you can barter with a Recruiter and shoot for a specific field.

I think I hear the black helos coming in to move this where it needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DayandNight View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I have a Bachelor's Degree, but I can't even pass a simple test like the ASVAB because I'm bad in Math. I feel like a moron over this, and I just want to get the test over with and move on to MEPs and my physical and everything so I can find out what jobs I qualify for. Anyway sorry this is so long guys, it's just frustrating as Hell.

Thanks,
    -Tyler.
    You're doing the right thing. Math is exactly the same as any other skill; it takes practice, patience, and good instruction. To draw a sports example, someone who can't throw a baseball isn't bad at baseball because he just sucks; he just hasn't practiced enough or had good enough instruction.

Growing up, you probably just muddled through and didn't learn the basic concepts. Now you're out of college and are basically having to go back to fourth grade again. There's nothing wrong with that; you didn't learn it the first time, so you have to go through it again. The good thing is that as an adult, you have a goal to work toward and hopefully have the discipline to stick to it.

Do what works. Practice problems, make flash cards, do those math facts sheets, whatever it takes.

Also, take a couple ASVAB practice tests and figure out what you're having a hard time with. If you're having a hard time with algebra, then there isn't much point in spending hours on arithmetic. Fix what you're having trouble with, and you'll do just fine.

Hey why not just use a hand held scientific calculator? Isnt that the norm these days for college? I couldnt resist!
    Just joking ya..If Your real serious about getting better at math..If I was You and I tried everything and nothing worked, I would find someone who could show me, like a tutor or something, to show the basics and working formulas, just so You can have something to practice with. And theres NOTHING wrong with flash cards!
    Although..I dont really know how You can use them, except for really basic math....Not like anyone will need to remember the square root of some number, from a flash card...., unless its part of an existing formula to use for algebra Or maybe You can take a community college math course, that can help You remember everything too, is another alternative.
    You would think, that there would be hundreds of available mathmatics books available online or through Your local library.
    Have You tried looking at "Amazon" book store? they have an online site, you can look at, and also order from.... just about any book ever published.
    Anyway, Good Luck.
    My one good deed post for the year!
    Oh and converting fractions to decimal numbers, make it easier to solve problems..at least thats how I usually do it. Like say..5/8 of an inch can equal .625 of an inch.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    DayandNight, get an ASVAB Math Book and memorize the formulas. This is coming from a fellow bach graduate. If you really did four years of college, you should know to suck it up, buy a book and a monster, and study the night before the test. You are making us, college folk, look bad.

Also, you need a 74 or higher on the ASVAB in order to get into OCS.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    DayandNight, get an ASVAB Math Book and memorize the formulas. This is coming from a fellow bach graduate. If you really did four years of college, you should know to suck it up, buy a book and a monster, and study the night before the test. You are making us, college folk, look bad.

Also, you need a 74 or higher on the ASVAB in order to get into OCS.
    Yeah I know about the score requirement to get into OCS. That's why I'm trying to study on the Math to get everything back up to speed.

Haha believe I know about getting a book and a Monster. But I'm definitely studying and lately it seems to be coming back to me a little bit.

I think also the amount of partying I did down at UT really didn't help a lot of this and I kinda regret not doing ROTC from the beginning. But I can't change the past now. Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

-Tyler.

Petersons.com has this really good site for ASVAB help. They also have practice tests you can do too if need be. Good luck.

Keep trying...do your best..

Marines seem to find a way to adapt and/or overcome.

Get the Marine title first...then come back.

There are a lot smart folks here.

Good Luck...and Congratulations on getting a Degree.

Moved to the correct forum.

Thread Information