Enlistment, College, and Deployments
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlistment, College, and Deployments

Hello, Marines...

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm female, a rising senior in high school, and a US citizen. I'm currently in South Korea for the next month and cannot get a hold of my recruiter or any USMC recruiter. Therefore, I'm here.

I'm currently applying to Annapolis and for an NROTC-MO scholarship. I'm leaning towards the NROTC right now, but I'm worried about losing my chance to deploy to a combat zone by the time I commission (I know Obama plans on pulling troops out of Afghanistan by 2014).

A part of me has always wanted to enlist, but another part of me also leans towards college. Right now, because of the long-term benefits of college and because I'm being given the opportunity to go (it's also something my parents would very much like me to do) I am leaning towards going to college and commissioning after four years. Preferably through NROTC (I am considering PLC as well).

So, ultimately, my question is, can anyone tell me what options I might have? How would a program like IIADT fit in with what I want to do (my end goal is active duty)? Could I fulfill a two-year enlistment, go to college, and then commission? At the moment, my main concern is that I would miss out on my chance to deploy to combat.

On a side note, I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what the most deployable enlisted MOS's are.

I apologize if my questions or anything else I've written above is dumb or confusing; I'm still trying to learn everything I can about this process. Whatever happens, there's nothing I want more than to become a Marine.

Thanks!

Combat MOS's are not open to females. One that should get you close however is combat photographer and I know that one is open to females because a former female poolee member here just recently shipped to bootcamp with that MOS. There are only a handful (maybe 12) in the entire USMC so would be difficult to get.

Ever thought of being a fighter pilot? There are female pilots flying combat missions today (and doing well). This way, you could get a commission and possibly see combat.

Other than combat and combat support MOS's, I would think the most deployable MOS would be motor transport as the grunts and their gear must be moved around on the ground as well as in the air. Very close to that would be field communications as every unit must be able to communicate up-and-down the chain of command. Intelligence deploys to the field so our grunts know what the enemy is doing. Again, your opportunity to deploy to a combat zone with any of these type MOS's would be limited and depend on the needs of your command.

There is a program for female Marines to be deployed on the front lines with grunt units called the Female Engagement Teams (FET) AKA "the lioness program". These teams are armed and interact with local females in the combat zone (doing body searches, etc.). Normally, the FET stays in constant contact with and work alongside the corpsmen. There is no specific MOS; you must volunteer and complete a specialized training program before being forward deployed. You should be able to GOOGLE more information.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answer

I'm aware that I can't go into combat arms... So, right now I've been thinking about Motor T (Logistics if I decide to go officer), MP, and engineering. And I have thought about aviation (I'm leaning towards helo). But I've always had a preference for the ground.

I've googled Communications and Intel, but I've come up with mixed results. I've heard that it isn't open to females, but my info might be wrong.

And thanks for the info about the FET program. It's definitely something I'm interested in getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by alphafourfour View Post
    Hello, Marines...

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm female, a rising senior in high school, and a US citizen. I'm currently in South Korea for the next month and cannot get a hold of my recruiter or any USMC recruiter. Therefore, I'm here.

I'm currently applying to Annapolis and for an NROTC-MO scholarship. I'm leaning towards the NROTC right now, but I'm worried about losing my chance to deploy to a combat zone by the time I commission (I know Obama plans on pulling troops out of Afghanistan by 2014).

A part of me has always wanted to enlist, but another part of me also leans towards college. Right now, because of the long-term benefits of college and because I'm being given the opportunity to go (it's also something my parents would very much like me to do) I am leaning towards going to college and commissioning after four years. Preferably through NROTC (I am considering PLC as well).

So, ultimately, my question is, can anyone tell me what options I might have? How would a program like IIADT fit in with what I want to do (my end goal is active duty)? Could I fulfill a two-year enlistment, go to college, and then commission? At the moment, my main concern is that I would miss out on my chance to deploy to combat.

On a side note, I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what the most deployable enlisted MOS's are.

I apologize if my questions or anything else I've written above is dumb or confusing; I'm still trying to learn everything I can about this process. Whatever happens, there's nothing I want more than to become a Marine.

Thanks!
    If you are accepted to the Naval Academy, don't be a fool, GO!

If Annapolis doesn't work out, why not go to college while you are enlisted in the Marine Corps? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

From being an enlisted Marine, you can apply for MECEP (Marine Enlisted Comissioning Education Program). If you are accepted, you will attend a school that offers NROTC on a full scholarship while earning Sergeant's pay.

You can also do it the workin' man's way and go to school in your off time like I do. The Marine Corps will pay all your tuition.

There are no two year enlistments.

IIADT is a reserve program. You could serve as an enlisted reservist and go to college with a slight possibility of a deployment, depending on your unit of course. It is possible to transfer onto active duty from the reserves, but challenging. If you do go the IIADT route and want to become an officer, I highly recommend applying for PLC (if you do not attend a college that offers NROTC). If you get accepted to PLC and earn your comission, then you can become an active duty Marine.

Hope this helps.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sorry; I should have mentioned the fact that if I am accepted to the Naval Academy, or if I receive the scholarship, I will definitely go down those paths, no question. But right now, I'm still scoping out my options

I also apologize for not knowing that there are no two year enlistments. I don't know where I heard that one. No excuses there.

Is the MECEP challenging to get into? I've researched into it, but unfortunately, off-base computers can't get a hold of any military websites. I know a little about the program but not much.

Just one more question about IIADT... If I enlist as a reservist and later get accepted to PLC or get the two year NROTC scholarship, do I definitely commission active duty? And how is doing either of these different from any of the reserve enlisted commissioning programs?

Anyhow, thanks again. It's really helpful to have all of this cleared up. Google isn't always the most efficient source....

Quote Originally Posted by alphafourfour View Post
    I'm sorry; I should have mentioned the fact that if I am accepted to the Naval Academy, or if I receive the scholarship, I will definitely go down those paths, no question. But right now, I'm still scoping out my options

I also apologize for not knowing that there are no two year enlistments. I don't know where I heard that one. No excuses there.

Is the MECEP challenging to get into? I've researched into it, but unfortunately, off-base computers can't get a hold of any military websites. I know a little about the program but not much.

Just one more question about IIADT... If I enlist as a reservist and later get accepted to PLC or get the two year NROTC scholarship, do I definitely commission active duty? And how is doing either of these different from any of the reserve enlisted commissioning programs?

Anyhow, thanks again. It's really helpful to have all of this cleared up. Google isn't always the most efficient source....
    It really irks me when people say "options" when it comes to the Marine Corps. I usually tell those people to get out of my office. If you want to be a Marine, you should be jumping at any opportunity to do so. Life doesn't owe you anything. Not a college education, not a comission in the Marine Corps, not food, water, or shelter. We need to stop raising our children as if they are entitled to success and convenience!

Since you just read my mini-rant, I'll give you a bye this time.

MECEP is very challenging to get into as is any Marine officer program. Be the best you can be, and if you intrinsically and inherently have what it takes, you will be accepted.

The answer to your question about the active duty guarantee is both a yes and no. You will be comissioned as an officer in the Marine Corps reserve, but required immediately upon comission to serve a minimum of at least 3.5 years on active duty.

The reserve enlisted comissioning program comissions you as an officer to serve in the reserves, not on active duty. That is what makes it different.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for putting me in my place there.

I do want to be a Marine. I'd enlist out of high school if I had the chance. My parents on the other hand... They want me to go to college, and so does every other adult I respect. But I'll do everything I can to prove I'm worthy of becoming a Marine, however which way I do it. The last thing I want is to leave the impression that I feel entitled. This is something I want to work hard for.

Thanks again for clearing everything up for me.
    Can't imagine doing anything other than being a Marine. Can't explain it, but it's great to be able to get together all the info I can.

Nothing wrong with research and being overseas makes it more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    It really irks me when people say "options" when it comes to the Marine Corps. I usually tell those people to get out of my office. If you want to be a Marine, you should be jumping at any opportunity to do so. Life doesn't owe you anything. Not a college education, not a comission in the Marine Corps, not food, water, or shelter. We need to stop raising our children as if they are entitled to success and convenience!.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you as far as the entitlement mentality that is being engrained in young people today.

At the same time, though, I think it wise if one wants to be a Marine and also wants to receive specific training or learn a skill in the process.

My 14-year-old son asked me last Tuesday evening while driving down the mountain, "Dad, why did you enlist in avionics." And my answer to him was, "Well, I figured if I was going to be a Marine and spend four years on active duty, I might as well learn a skill that I can utilize if and when I get out."

My oldest brother enlisted 0300 and ended up on embassy duty, and nothing wrong with that, but that's not what I wanted to do. My other brother went open contract and was 0331. I understand many young people want that opportunity. It just wasn't for me.

Thread Information