The commandant is starting black officer quotas
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The commandant is starting black officer quotas

http://www.nctimes.com/news/article_...249bbb295.html

My personal favorite:

"It's not a quota I'm after, but I've got to pay attention to the numbers," Amos told the naval officers association, a group made up mostly of U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard officers. "I just know I'm not happy with where we are."
    The Marine Corps promoted just 60 blacks among 1,073 promotions to the rank of lieutenant in 2010, he said. Amos said he wants to raise that 3.5 percent figure to at least 5 percent by the end of this year.
    "We're changing our entire approach," he said, striding across the floor of a hotel ballroom as he made his remarks. "We're going to improve this year, next year and the year after that."

Ummm...yeah....that is a quota. Nice try. If you love skin color so much, though, resign and give your spot to a black O.

Credits
    Savings
    I sure do hope he's NOT about to go quota!!! I for one could care less about skin pigmentation, sexual orientation, etc. My question is can & do they do their job. In '85 this same farce started but it was women and it too got ugly as it was disguised as Title 9

Credits
    Savings
    Yep,, may as well strike the "Corps Standards"
    Crap, a Community Organizer can lead a country.
    Just keep repeating "Hope and Change"

Maybe I'm missing something on this issue.
    I guess I'm just too daft to understand why *personal merit, performance along with TIG* are not sole criteria for advancement in the military or anything else in life.
    Times certainly have changed but my opinion on this has not.

That's my take on it.....carry on....

Credits
    Savings
    just 60 blacks among 1,073 promotions to the rank of lieutenant in 2010,

Doesnt say where the numbers came from i guess.

The nerve of the 1,013...who were promoted without being black,,, WhataBuncha Racist. Sounds terrible, like, the old JimCrowLaws and attitudes are still in effect in
    whitie land. I mean, whats "abrother" gotta do to get ahead in this world ?????

stop the world, i wanna get ahead?????

Calm down, we as an officer corps have had certain recruiting goals for gender, race, contract in place for a while. For instance, I knew a guy in the Midwest that needed a female, Asian, pilot to complete mission as an officer recruiter. Somehow he made mission.

Oh yeah, 1stLt is like Lance Corporal in regards to promotion. No board. Dont get fired, dont get a DUI, and you will be promoted at your exact 2 year commissioning mark, as a 1stLt.

Therefore, I think that the CMCs comments are in regards to recruiting, which in all fairness we are not a vary diverse officer corps in regards to other branches. More women in the Air Force, More African American Officers in the Army, and more Asians in the Navy. I think the CMC wants to show that we are a diverse group and rightfully so.

Credits
    Savings

this post

You've said it for me who cares who it is s long as they're doing the job to USMC standards. I just can't/won't say the CMC shouldn't have said it like he did and without clarification on his behalf or shown the context in which it was said nuff said I'm done here

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG0369 View Post
    Calm down, we as an officer corps have had certain recruiting goals for gender, race, contract in place for a while. For instance, I knew a guy in the Midwest that needed a female, Asian, pilot to complete mission as an officer recruiter. Somehow he made mission.

Oh yeah, 1stLt is like Lance Corporal in regards to promotion. No board. Dont get fired, dont get a DUI, and you will be promoted at your exact 2 year commissioning mark, as a 1stLt.

Therefore, I think that the CMCs comments are in regards to recruiting, which in all fairness we are not a vary diverse officer corps in regards to other branches. More women in the Air Force, More African American Officers in the Army, and more Asians in the Navy. I think the CMC wants to show that we are a diverse group and rightfully so.
    Are you in favor of an unqualified black lieutenant leading Marines over a qualified white lieutenant solely for the sake of "diversity"?

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaMarine View Post
    Are you in favor of an unqualified black lieutenant leading Marines over a qualified white lieutenant solely for the sake of "diversity"?
    In all cases it should be best person for the billet/job, but that is not the arguement. You should read what I wrote. I simply said that the OP may have taken the CMCs words out of context. Every single 2ndLt in the Marine Corps gets promoted to 1stLt at 24 months TIG. Point blank, no scores, no photos, no records reviews, They get promoted. I am sure the Commandant knows this. Captain is the first of the competitive boards, similar to enlsited Marines SSgt Board. Therefore, if you already know that then he is probably talking about recruitment, which we already recruit to fill certain demos. Then i can see where we are lacking in certain demos. If they make it or not is up to them, OCS and TBS will drop those unqualified Officers regardless of race, color, creed, etc. Just like those places have done since their inception. I cannot spell it out any easier.

The United States has already become a diverse country. Why should we care about the Marine Corps being diverse. It is on the citizens of the U.S. to join. To pinpoint and segregate the Black Americans seems racist to me. All my life ive been told the color of the skin doesn't matter, it's the person underneath the skin that matters. Its should be recruiting the best person possible for the Corps. With the new recruiting effort they are caring more about the political/appearance part of the Corps. It is truely a shame.

LOL when a black man or woman wants something , they are either an American or a Black person.

They cant seem to be the same in any case can they?

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG0369 View Post
    Troll? I think so.
    Seems to me like you are the one trolling.. i was just stating my opinion on recruiting efforts.. lets just keep this an adult conversation and keep our unnecessary comments to ourselves..

Well, hang around for a bit you start telling members what to do. If you had been here a while you would know there is a recent trend for people to start a profile and begin bashing most members.

Oh yeah i would fill out a profile. If not you could be banned. Not my rules, just the way it is.

Never use the racist card with the corps,that is what the troll coment is
    screw quota unless you go back to draft Take the best men who come
    train them the best posible for a large group
    deversify ??Use the men who come & use tough standards for officers,sendem home if they dont have it,,Officer standards are low enough !!
    I saw some of the scum we had to take when they sent us some of the worst draftees in the 60,s,, push the numbers thru to fill the ranks..
    some were in the Marines ,,some were Marines,I remember
    Sgt.U.S. Newton,1994368 ,0811,0311,weapons & tactics instructor, camp geiger

Thread Information