IRR question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRR question

IRR question

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Does the IRR get any base privileges? I have 9 more months until my 4 years of IRR are up and I just want to know if I can still go onto a marine base to get uniforms?

You'll have to get a pass, but yes. You're active duty ID will need to be turned in and changed over to a IRR ID and you'll in turn be able to get a pass. Once your IRR time is up you'll have to turn your ID in to the nearest DoD base. Most places will not allow you to have base stickers as IRR

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperBourne View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Does the IRR get any base privileges? I have 9 more months until my 4 years of IRR are up and I just want to know if I can still go onto a marine base to get uniforms?

You can extend on IRR too. I know that sounds nuts, but when I came into the AF reserves, all that IRR time counts towards pay. I've only got 19 years towards retirement, but for pay I just went over 4.

So you do 4 years active, 4 years in IRR and then you can still extend your IRR? Just curious, what is the point? and how does this help with pay? I have not been active in the IRR so I don't know much about it.

Now im interested in this..If I did 4 years active and now am in the IRR is it possible to just go active reserves but still stay in the same branch?

From what I understand, yes. In a nut shell

You have to get so many reserve points per year to qualify for retirement. You can do this by doing MCI's or going on mini deployments. MARFORRES keeps a website of a bunch of temoprary billets that IRR people can apply for ranging from a week to a year from what they told us in TAPS class

What was your MOS? There is a Marine Reserve unit in Lemoore, thought about going active Reserve?

Quote Originally Posted by UsmcdevilMP View Post
    What was your MOS? There is a Marine Reserve unit in Lemoore, thought about going active Reserve?
    Yup..I have been thinking about it but will it be hard to get back in? I was a radio operator but if I go back in I would like to change my MOS if possible. Not sure what I would like to do but I do know that I would be interested in Marine Active Reserves.

You can extend in the IRR go to a reserve unit and drill with them and be NON obligated. Go back to IRR whenever you want SO LONG as you DO NOT take a bonus when you join that Reserve unit.

You can mobilize to active duty from the IRR for things like swim qual, rifle range, mcmap course assuming your instructor status. Help active duty units out with deployments, or staying stateside to help their remain behinds. Get paid usually FULL active pay, base, BAH, Comrats plus sometimes Per Diem as well

You can always drop back to the IRR whenever you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinefelon View Post
    You can extend in the IRR go to a reserve unit and drill with them and be NON obligated. Go back to IRR whenever you want SO LONG as you DO NOT take a bonus when you join that Reserve unit.

You can mobilize to active duty from the IRR for things like swim qual, rifle range, mcmap course assuming your instructor status. Help active duty units out with deployments, or staying stateside to help their remain behinds. Get paid usually FULL active pay, base, BAH, Comrats plus sometimes Per Diem as well

You can always drop back to the IRR whenever you want!
    Really? So how come Marines are saying its hard to get back in? Is that only if you are trying to go active again?

Yes I an an 0311 Sgt, with 5 years active NO broken service 18 months reserve, MANY formal schools good pro cons and currently Mobilized that I volunteered for but Can not get back on active duty because of the down size.

But if you try out for MARSOC and get selected you will AUTOMATICALLY go back to Active duty because there are no MARSOC units on the reserve side of the house

I don't know if you would know but who can run PFT's or CFT's if you are in the IRR? I assume you have to go to the local reserve unit for it and have it sent down to MARFORRES. Any idea why MOBCOM and MARFORRES websites no longer work?

They go up and down randomly. Yes the S-3 at a reserve unit can run PFT's and CFT's and forward them to MOBCOM for you. Might want to call them a few days in advance so they can schedule you a time.

Thread Information