IRR question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IRR question

Thanks.

On my DD 214 there is a command to which I am transferred to for IRR I think. It reads MOBCOM ANDREWS ROAD KANSAS CITY MO. Does this mean that if I want to do anything with the IRR I have to go to the address? Unfortunately I live in California and I dont want to go out of state all the time. Is there a way to do IRR somewhere closer?

When you decide to drill you should go to the closest reserve station that holds your particular MOS. You will just be put on their roster. Or so I have been told.

MOBCOM is Kansas City HQ of 4th Mar DIV (reserve) you ONLY go there if you are Recalled.

Just call a prior service recruiter in your area. Google them "usmc prior service recruiter" You can go to a reserve unit by you with your MOS or if you are MOS mismatched like I was you might just get thrown in the supply warehouse, or field mess (something that you can OJT) They will let you lat move too.

Just ask the PSR if you lat move if you are still Non-Ob

Yup, I've been through all of this. I was in the IRR for a year before I contacted a PSR and hooked up with a local reserve unit. If the unit doesn't rate your MOS, as previously said, they will usually OJT you to work in supply or something. Keep in mind that when you drill, you typically will be doing annual training requirements instead of MOS-specific tasks.

Anyway, I drilled with a reserve unit for about a year and a half as a non-obligor. It's pretty nice, because you actually dictate things yourself - much different than active duty. If you can't make a drill, you can make up the days at a later time. During my time in the SMCR, I traveled to Washington D.C., Quantico, Gettysburg, and several different training facilities in Michigan. I also took orders and flew down to Lejeune for a few days for a class. (Which turned out to be an epic fail due to heavy snow fall....in Jacksonville, wtf?!) I recently dropped back to the IRR due to an insane workload at school this semester. My IRR time ends in May, but I will definitely be extending.

I highly recommend staying affiliated with the Marine Corps, even if you just stay in the IRR. There are a ton of opportunities available for IRR Marines, it's just the matter of putting some effort in to looking up billets and making some calls to get the ball rolling.

As far as going AR, you'll just need to get with your local PSR. They will have the info for local AR billets if they're available.

Hope that helps, S/F!

Thread Information