Crew chief question
Create Post

Question Crew chief question

Hi everyone. I've been asking my recruiter, my dad (retired Marine 21 yrs), researching this forum, yahoo, & google but can't seem to find the answer anywhere. My recruiter and my dad said same thing but it didn't make sense. They said crew chiefs are in charge of multiple birds not just one then while they were laughing at me for more lack of knowledge.

Anyways, if I earn the title will I be able to be a crew chief of a huey (MOS 6174) right after boot camp and SOI/MCT? Will I have to start out as a basic mechanic and work my way up or what? I basically want to be handling the bird and the gun. Also, what exactly does an Enlisted Aircrew/Aerial Observer/Gunner MOS 6199 do? Will all I get to do is shoot?

Perhaps I won't have the title of "Crew Chief" but will I at least be doing the same job?

If you happen to suggest reading that long thread that started a while back I have already read it.

-Thank You

aircrew will always fly you are required to get so many hours of flight time to keep up quals, that being said when i went through powerplant mech course we had aircrew that came over and did our course as well as their aircrew course, i dont know if this is c130 specific or not.

You can have the actual MOS as Crew Chief and you will have a ird you know inside and out. If you end up becoming a mech you can work on getting your air crew wings and have the crew chief as an option. You also can be a Gunner and man the guns on flights. But Gunners are mechs who earned the gunners wings. If you go for enlisted flight crew you will have no choice of the air craft you get unless you graduate top of your class and even that will be a challenge. You may end up on an osprey or a c130. Good luck.

gunners are not always mechs i have worked alot with helo squadrons and they normally go out with their aircrew not mechs even when armed( this is for 46's) but yes anyone can do it.

Thank you for your answers. I'll be sure to research as much as I can on these birds so I can choose mine. I AM up to the challenge!
    Also, do you think any time in college such as an Associates degree would help me in getting the spot?
    P.S. I'm typing this on my PS3 so it might look weird.

Thread Information