Marksmanship Qualifcation question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marksmanship Qualifcation question

I'm the dad of a 2nd LT currently going through TBS. After going through range week my 2nd Lt qualified sharpshooter with the M16 and marksman with pistol. She is down on herself for not shooting expert. She feels that it will make it harder for her to earn respect from her peers and enlisted personnel as she eventually moves into the fleet.

As a dad I've told her not to dwell on this too much as shooting like a lot of athletic endeavors can be made better with practice and some individual instruction. A year from now when she re-qualifies I do not doubt her scores will be better.

My question is am I looking at this issue correctly? A brand new 2nd LT not qualifying expert is not that big a deal. However, after a couple years in the Marine Corps a young officer not qualifying as expert would become a bigger deal.

I don't think it is a big deal at all. I have seen Majors and Sgt. Majors with marksman and sharpshooter badges.

Just my opinion though.

I don't put much stock in range scores, just so long as you pass. And I'd imagine it's that way for a lot of Marines. Besides, Marines don't really talk about that stuff. Sure, people will notice in the rare events she is in her dress/service uniform. But it's not like people will treat her differently. For me, I care more about the leadership quality of the officers above me than the type of shooting badge they wear on their chest. If you're an A-hole, having an expert badge doesn't make you any less of an a-hole. And vice versa.

couldn't agree more.....

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    In my day, didn't see too many officers shooting. Leading a plt. of Marines was a Lt. main job. They left the shooting to us.

Pretty much everyone who has ever qualified knows that there are a million variables that go into your score. Even folks who qualified expert know that there's a fine line between the crossed rifles (or pistols) and the sharpshooter badge or the pizza box. There is a lot of skill involved on qualifying expert - and a good dose of luck too.

In other words, as was said above, it really doesn't mean much in comparison to what kind of leader she is. On most days, the marksmanship badges are hanging in the closet and most folks don't see them.

i agree.. i shot marksman in boot, then sharpshooter, then expert.. all a combination of skill and luck/weather conditions. i didn't shoot any different all three times that i could tell. will let you know what i shoot the next time around. lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I did it the other way around, expert in boot, marksman next time around.

that will be my luck next time around... ha ha ha ha

You guys need to fire the M1. Couldn't miss with that baby! And had stopping power. And I agree with just about all comments above.

Credits
    Savings
    Appreciate the feedback. Wanted to make sure I was not giving her poor advice.

My 2nd LT fully understands leadership and taking care of her troops is the true measure that she will be judged by. Fortunately she has always been a natural leader and has been recognized as such by her platoon Captain. So far TBS is going well for her and even on the hard days she still tells me she is exactly where she wants to be and is living her dream.

She is massive over-achiever and has wanted to be a Marine since she was 12.

Its actually going to suck and be pretty tough for her for a few reasons. Officers are very competative, especially junior officers. Things like run times and shooting scores are more talked about than in the enlisted ranks. Officers are usually very young and competative people...they want to know what their peers are doing and how well they are doing it.

Being female. There is a stigma in the Marine Corps that females are generally poor marksmen. Shooting subpar as a female tends to perpetuate that stigma, and that can be upsetting.

The combination of these two factors make it kind of a tough situation. But its certainly not the end of the world. She will get a chance to shoot again, it just takes practice, especially the pistol. Hopefully she will be fine, plenty of people go from shooting poorly to consistently getting expert. Its really mostly mental.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Hell She can always use Her Bayonet or ShotGun

Being a Marksman meant She still Hit the Target not Dead Center but still Enough too take the Enemy out!!!I never saw a Gook 500 Yrd's away,when the Chit Hit the Fan they were Right on Top of Us,that's when We Marines all Shot EXPERT.You Daughter will just do fine,I've seen UNQ'S within a Year go from that too Expert with Both the Pistol and Rifle.GoodLuck to You and Your Daughter,Thank Her for serving our Nation and GodSpeed to Both of You.Semper Fidelis

No one's going to think twice about it. It looks good on boards and such... but other than that. Not a big deal in the respect category.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Its actually going to suck and be pretty tough for her for a few reasons. Officers are very competative, especially junior officers. Things like run times and shooting scores are more talked about than in the enlisted ranks. Officers are usually very young and competative people...they want to know what their peers are doing and how well they are doing it.

The sergeant here raises a good point -- she'll catch much more flak about it at TBS (from her fellow lieutenants) than she will in the fleet, but even when she hits the fleet she'll take more grief and "good natured ribbing" from her fellow lieutenants than she ever will from anyone else.

Credits
    Savings
    Truly appreciate the feedback.

In our conversation she was much more concerned about earning respect from the enlisted ranks rather than her officer peers in regards to her shooting. As far as "good natured ribbing" she will give as good as she gets. She is very used to being in a predominately male environment and has a long track record of outperforming the majority of her male counterparts both mentally and physically.

Thread Information