Optics on an M4?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Optics on an M4?

I've wanted to become a Marine Sniper since 6th grade, I know the chances are slim to none but it is a goal I plan to achieve. I have heard EVERYTHING from " Oh your just another Ricky Recon Sniper wannabe" to " It's nice to see a kid with such dedication to become a Marine, let alone a Marine Sniper!" ( from a Former Marine Sniper ) I have seen Marines with rifle scopes mounted on their M4s, Is that only for Snipers?, or can any Infantry Marine have rifle scopes? Or do you need to be attached to a Sniper Team?

( I was going to post in the Ask a Marine thread but it would not let me post a new topic )

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hell Son they even got an Invention most of these New Breed Marines never use,it's more deadly that a Bullet and Fit's on Your Rifle it's called a Bayonet don't Believe Me,ask the NVA SAPPER that I buried into His Chest.If being a Scout Sniper is Your Dream,Stay off Drugs Do good in School,Listen too Your Folks and Go For it.Dreams do come True Son,mine did Sorta GodLuck GodSpeed

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you sir.

Marines who leave the wire have optics, mostly ACOGs or EOTECHs.

Most infantry companies have designated marskman, which are like a Sniper Lite.

There is nothing increadible or magical about getting through sniper school. You just have to man up and do it...and be able to shoot and stalk. Just because something is difficult, doesn't make it impossible...its just too many people these days aren't willing to do difficult things.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, Now to become a DM for your company are there any requirments? Or is it who ever wants to be the DM?

hehehe sniper lite. diet sniper - nutrasweet?

I don't really know...its like how you pick up any billet in your unit, it just happens. Sometimes they ask for volunteers, sometimes you're voluntold, sometimes you make it known you want it and your platoon sarge throws your name in a hat. I'm not sure what the prereqs are, but those kinds of things typically try to screen for decent Marines with high PFTs, shooting ability, etc. Its not something I would worry too much about until you get your feet wet.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    I don't really know...its like how you pick up any billet in your unit, it just happens. Sometimes they ask for volunteers, sometimes you're voluntold, sometimes you make it known you want it and your platoon sarge throws your name in a hat. I'm not sure what the prereqs are, but those kinds of things typically try to screen for decent Marines with high PFTs, shooting ability, etc. Its not something I would worry too much about until you get your feet wet.
    Thank you sir that truely helps

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyd113 View Post
    I've wanted to become a Marine Sniper since 6th grade, I know the chances are slim to none but it is a goal I plan to achieve. I have heard EVERYTHING from " Oh your just another Ricky Recon Sniper wannabe" to " It's nice to see a kid with such dedication to become a Marine, let alone a Marine Sniper!" ( from a Former Marine Sniper ) I have seen Marines with rifle scopes mounted on their M4s, Is that only for Snipers?, or can any Infantry Marine have rifle scopes? Or do you need to be attached to a Sniper Team?

( I was going to post in the Ask a Marine thread but it would not let me post a new topic )
    Marines that have scopes like that to their rifles are designated Marksman. Becoming a Sniper is alot of hard work, you have to think straight and fast and be able to perform under pressure. The training is tough, but extremely rewarding because in the end youre pretty much a badazz

Credits
    Savings
    HAHA thats true does anyone know the prereqs for becomming the DM?

I'm not sure where yall are getting your information, but the only thing on M4s and M16s are RCOs now. The fobbit pogs can keep their iron sites, they don't use them anyways.

As for any other optic, you may see something more fit for a DM on a Mk11 or Mk12 that is commonly found with DMs. Snipers are a whole different family of weapons and optics.

HAHA thats true does anyone know the prereqs for becomming the DM?
    I was a DM. Typically Marines were picked who they knew were dependable and level headed.

I went to MCIWS school with a "sniper". He was trained under OJT and told me that it was very difficult to get released to sniper school. He said that amongst the sniper group he worked with that sniper school was window dressing and a waste of time and the units money to send their men to. Through OJT they felt they could get their men where they needed them. He said he was called a "hog" I believe. Basically meant a non formally schooled sniper.

This was in 06' and im trying to remember our short conversation but that was the gist of what I recalled. Moral of the story...not every Marine who wants to makes it to sniper school and not every "sniper" went to school.

Sniper platoons don't have a whole lot of school-trained snipers. They are often OJTs who haven't gone to school yet, and those who have failed and have yet to be IUT.

RCOs are ACOGs and are used on M4, M249, and M240. Marines also use EOTECHs on M4s. I had an EOTECH last deployment, though this time they didn't have any left at the armory...plus ACOGs are better in AFG anyway.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by USMC-SSGT View Post
    I was a DM. Typically Marines were picked who they knew were dependable and level headed.

I went to MCIWS school with a "sniper". He was trained under OJT and told me that it was very difficult to get released to sniper school. He said that amongst the sniper group he worked with that sniper school was window dressing and a waste of time and the units money to send their men to. Through OJT they felt they could get their men where they needed them. He said he was called a "hog" I believe. Basically meant a non formally schooled sniper.

This was in 06' and im trying to remember our short conversation but that was the gist of what I recalled. Moral of the story...not every Marine who wants to makes it to sniper school and not every "sniper" went to school.
    Thank you sir, a HOG is a " Hunter of Gunmen " and they have the HOGs tooth necklace which is a bullet. to get your true HOGs tooth necklace you need to kill someone shooting at you and take the round out of their chamber as that was the one ment for you. A lot of Marines OJT with a Sniper team before going to sniper school so they have some basic knowledge. Hopefully I can get attached to a sniper team if I deploy.

Thank you sir, a HOG is a " Hunter of Gunmen " and they have the HOGs tooth necklace which is a bullet. to get your true HOGs tooth necklace you need to kill someone shooting at you and take the round out of their chamber as that was the one ment for you. A lot of Marines OJT with a Sniper team before going to sniper school so they have some basic knowledge. Hopefully I can get attached to a sniper team if I deploy.
    You talk to much kid.

Yes, school trained snipers are called HOGs. But the hogs tooth they wear is a simple 308 rd on 550 cord given to them upon completion of their time at the schoolhouse. The rest of those in a Sniper Plt are called PIGs, professionally instructed gunmen. If you want to be in the plt, get through boot and soi first then see how you do in the fleet. Once there you can request to attempt the indoc. Worry about the step in front of you first.

Thread Information