swim challenges in bootcamp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

swim challenges in bootcamp?

hey im a future female marine going to parris island, SC and i know you have to pass a swim test in boot camp. but i dont know how to swim AT ALL! how hard will it be for me? also, will someone be able to teach me? and if i take long to pass will they delay me from graduating?
    my ship date is january 3rd but i requested to be a backup shipper so i might leave next monday.
    also, is it okay if i can buy my own supplies to bring? (like underwear, sports bras, socks) i know the handbook says i can, but i read a lot of things saying "just go there with the clothes on your back"

and also my last important question (hopefully) i have small braids in my hair (im african-american) because i was told african american females can wear braids in boot camp...is that true? because it would be easier for me to maintain my hair while im down their in the hot sun, because my hair frizzes up fast. and i need to use big scrunchies to put it in a bun

thanks if you can answer these questions

These topics should help answer some of your questions.......

Female Marine Advice Needed(ASAP PLEASE)
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=92068&page=5

Another hair question...
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...le+hair+braids

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Swimmin is not hard....RELAX....go to a local YMCA that offers classes....they will be able to teach you the basics.

There are a few threads in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine about swimmking in boot camp and the requirements....Read them....

Honestly start at the shallow end and get adjusted to the water...RELAX.....do not be fearful of the water....fear and H2O is a dangerous combination....

If and when you go to boot camp and can't basic swim....the instructors and drill instructors will break recruits into groups.....RELAX....PAY ATTENTION......and you will at least get the basic required qualification.

Good Luck!

thank you both...im so scared of water. i try so hard to relax but i guess at boot camp it'll be either sink or swim. and im not sure if ill have time to get a membership at the Ymca in this short time and i dont want to waste money. as for the hair, i hope they will let me keep them since i have micro braids in -took 10 hours to do it and to take out!

I echo Phantom's comment re swimming. If you do not ship Monday, you have time. Go to a YMCA or local Red Cross or even city parks and rec. You have plenty time to learn the basics of swimming. To be honest, you can teach yourself, too, just by watching others and taking the relax and don't panic advice. If you do not know how to swim when you go to boot camp, there will be additional work for you, and you are better off taking care of it beforehand.

As far as the other questions, those will have to be answered by a woman Marine. Read the info from Softball Catch, too.

Good luck.

I currently have this problem also but I've taken the advice to take classes. My first week went by and out of the 2 classes I still can't float but everybody else can plus they were scared of the water. 2 of them can now even tread water but I can't, its aggravating because I'll be the one to try stuff first then the others see me doing it and they'll try and get it.

My legs for some reason dont float and saturday my cousin and I went to the pool so I could practice. I learned that I have to really kick my feet to make them float but I dont move much in the water but if I use my arms and push towards my sides I pull myself. My cousin said I pull my body out of the water then sink back.

I asked for 1 on 1 classes because I need it. I'm not scared of the water neither, I can go under and breath out if I need to also I can keep my eyes open under water. My ship date is coming quick so if I can use this thread also to gain advice I'm all ears.

My body make up is top heavy with most of my power up there but my legs are weak as spit, just to letting that be known.

Thanks Marines and thanks tiff for allowing me to use your thread also

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is no harm in getting yourself a life jacket and going to the pool and practicing. Most pools have a couple of those little boogie board things that you can use to kick around. There are no water wings in boot camp but it is a good start that you can move up from.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    I currently have this problem also but I've taken the advice to take classes. My first week went by and out of the 2 classes I still can't float but everybody else can plus they were scared of the water. 2 of them can now even tread water but I can't, its aggravating because I'll be the one to try stuff first then the others see me doing it and they'll try and get it.

My legs for some reason dont float and saturday my cousin and I went to the pool so I could practice. I learned that I have to really kick my feet to make them float but I dont move much in the water but if I use my arms and push towards my sides I pull myself. My cousin said I pull my body out of the water then sink back.

I asked for 1 on 1 classes because I need it. I'm not scared of the water neither, I can go under and breath out if I need to also I can keep my eyes open under water. My ship date is coming quick so if I can use this thread also to gain advice I'm all ears.

My body make up is top heavy with most of my power up there but my legs are weak as spit, just to letting that be known.

Thanks Marines and thanks tiff for allowing me to use your thread also
    More than likely you have leaner muscles, less fat, and are not as buoyant. African-Americans, especially ones who are fit, tend to have a smaller percentage of fat. If you go into a pool and take a deep breath, put your arms out to see how long you will float, you will probably find that instead you sink.

I am not African-American, but when I entered boot camp, I had this problem. No matter what I did, I sunk. In high school, I played football, wrestled, and lifted a lot of weight. In boot camp, when we had to tread water for 5 minutes, I thought I was going to die. All around me guys could float, and I just sunk. So I had to work my butt off, and I do not want to discourage you, but swim qual was my least favorite part of boot camp, but if you are not afraid of water and drowning, you will be able to do it.

After boot camp, I found a few things that would help. If I went over onto my back, I could put my arms out, and kick more like pedaling, and tread water for a long time in that position.

You legs sink probably for similar reasons, low body fat, no oxygen in them for buoyancy.

Going to a local pool, using a kick board and just doing kick sets will help. Start out with 5 x 100 yards at a steady pace, 30 seconds rest, and repeat. Build up to 10 x 100. Also back kicking is good. Kick off wall on back, put hands straight out above head and link hands, and kick the distance of the pool (25 yards if competitor pool.) Rest 15, repeat.

When you get older, unfortunately most guys body fat percentage increases, and one day you will find that you float! But until then, the more you swim and do kick sets, the more endurance you will build and be able to get through swim qual okay. You are just going to have to work harder than others to do it.

Whoa.....for informative and what was said will be taken in for use at swim class today.

I do the thing with arms out and hands crossed, that's when I learned that if I kick hard that I can keep my legs ups.

Thanks sir, any more advice is greatly appreciated

thanks guys...i guess ill goto the ymca tomorrow! i really hope i can float! i think ill be good if i can at least learn how to float or tread water. then my worries will be gone

From what I can see at swim class its easier for women to float regardless of body make up.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    It's the Mae West buoyancy......

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    From what I can see at swim class its easier for women to float regardless of body make up.
    That's true. Women have a higher percentage of body fat than men.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    It's the Mae West buoyancy......

Plenty of other recruits will be in your exact same situation. Just like all the other instruction (confidence course, rappel tower, etc), pay attention to what the instructors are teaching you; follow their directions, have confidence in what they say, say a quick prayer, and do your best. Most of the time, that will be enough to get you through. If not, you will get some remedial instruction. Bottom line though...you must complete those events to graduate. Won't be easy but that's why it's USMC bootcamp. You have to earn everything; nothing will be given to you.

Thread Information