8th & I
Create Post

Thread: 8th & I

8th & I

I'm shipping with a UH contract and wondering how getting selected for security forces, PRP, MSG, and 8th & I duty is done at SOI? I don't particularly want to be in any of those, especially 8th & I. Is it all random, do they ever ask for volunteers? Is there any way to decrease the chances of 8th & I duty. I know it isn't for me this is why i ask. Thanks

First, you need to concentrate on earning the title. Then you can move on to your MOS.
    The chances of a UH going to 8th & I are slim but even if you did get selected for the illustrious duty at "The Oldest Post of the Corps." You do it! You go where the Corps tells you go, Period! It chaps my butt when you are given an opportunity to join this beloved Marine Corps, (with an infantry program might I add) and demand what you will or will not want to do. If you don't like the tone of this get use to it! Tell your DI, Plt Sgt or Co GySgt that you don't want to do something and see what happens. Good luck to you in your future endeavor.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oscrmyr View Post
    First, you need to concentrate on earning the title. Then you can move on to your MOS.
    I agree.....earn The Title first if you are serious about being a Marine first and foremost.
    The only guarantee is that Marine Corps will assign you an MOS according to THEIR needs not necessarily YOUR desires.
    If you get what you want then consider yourself fortunate.

I accept times have changed since my era but it's still a very strange concept to me that wannabe's have the option to choose what MOS they want.

So, if getting exactly what you want is determining criteria for you to be a Marine then maybe you should check the other branches first.

That's my take on it......good luck......carry on.

Credits
    Savings
    And just who do you think you are that you can dictate what you will or won't prefer to do?
    If you want to be AF or a Coastie -go there

The Corps demands a lot- but it is for a lifetime of pride

Thread Information