Shipping open contract
Create Post

Shipping open contract

I just learned today after being told for nearly two months that I had a recon contract that I am in fact open contract right now, and I am supposed to ship this Sunday. I was talking to my recruiters and it looks like the only job that's open right now that I might enjoy is artillery. They said I have a choice I could either take the artillery job or ship open contract and hope for a infantry or recon spot to open up. I'm debating this right now, but what do you think the chances are for me if I go open contract to get an infantry position?

Credits
    Savings
    The people who can best answer are recruiters

Suggest take what is offered and say Aye-Aye Sir thank you very much

Arty isn't a bad MOS. Many of the gun teams have some of the best small unit teamwork skills around the Corps. Open Contract is exactly what it says, and no you don't get a wish list. It's purely needs of the Marine Corps based on your test scores.

How lucky do you feel?

Open contract is a big gamble. Do you like to cook for large groups of people and wash huge pots and pans?

Personally, I would not take the chance. Cannon cocker sounds like the better option to me.

Let us know how it turns out and good luck.

Infantry is one of the most over populated MOS's in the Marine Corps... I highly doubt you'll get it open contract. Best luck would be to take the Arty mos.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrouse View Post
    I just learned today after being told for nearly two months that I had a recon contract that I am in fact open contract right now, and I am supposed to ship this Sunday. I was talking to my recruiters and it looks like the only job that's open right now that I might enjoy is artillery. They said I have a choice I could either take the artillery job or ship open contract and hope for a infantry or recon spot to open up. I'm debating this right now, but what do you think the chances are for me if I go open contract to get an infantry position?
    You are not likely to get an 03xx MOS on an open contract because that MOS always fills up. I suggest you take the arty (ask for the job code, because there is no arty specific contract...unless you are reserves?) which is probably CE or Combat Support. Most of those MOSs promote faster anyway.

Well....I liked my MOS as Arty which was 0811 in my time.
    Even though I went to Artillery School on 105's I ended up in 4.2 mortars (schooled also) and we were able to chop on operations with the grunts (BLT 1/5).

I don't think Arty is a bad option if you want a closer relationship with the 0300 MOS.
    But, I have no idea how Arty is deployed or utilized in current strategies so your mileage may vary.

That's my take on it....good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    How lucky do you feel?

Open contract is a big gamble. Do you like to cook for large groups of people and wash huge pots and pans?

Personally, I would not take the chance. Cannon cocker sounds like the better option to me.

Let us know how it turns out and good luck.
    I think I am going to ship open contract the arty job got taken moments after they told me about it. So unless I can find a job when I do my preship or down at MEPS I am shipping open. wish me luck.

Thread Information