Last minute boot camp advice?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Last minute boot camp advice?

hi so im finally about to leave for MCRD San Diego on july 18th i was wondering if anyone had any last minute bootcamp advice? id rather hear it from a marine themselves instead of a book written by some guy who's never been through it.. thanks ahead for all of your advice!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    LISTEN....YELL LOUDLY....BE FAST.....STAY SQUARED AWAY!

The rest you will have to see and experience for yourself....

Good luck....hope to see you back as a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Hardy View Post
    i was wondering if anyone had any last minute bootcamp advice?
    Ok...I'll give you my default response to this inquiry:

Keep your mouth shut
    Keep your eyes and ears open
    Set the best example in mind, spirit and attitude among your fellow boots
    Always give 110%

Do not embarrass us weed hopper.

Good luck....

EDIT:..oh...and what Phantom said.

When told to get somewhere by your Drill Instructor, dont be the poor slob who is last to get there ever.

Dont think a day ahead or weeks ahead. Take each day as it comes and give it your all. Put the concept of time out of your mind entirely.

When you are holding your weapon for drill or any other reason.... Hold it like you own it. My Drill Instructor aquainted my solar plexis with the butt plate of the M16A1 Service Rifle because I didnt hold it like I owned it as he was correcting my position.

Oh, and what Chulai and Phantom said as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    When told to get somewhere by your Drill Instructor, dont be the poor slob who is last to get there, ever.
    Excellent tip!

Carry on.....

Don't fvck up our yellow footprints, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

This is from personal experience...never EVER leave your footlocker unlocked. Walking into the squadbay and seeing YOUR garbage slung from one end to the other is one of the worst feelings in the world. But, at least you don't have to worry about getting the wind knocked out of you like I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    But, at least you don't have to worry about getting the wind knocked out of you like I did!
    The good old days.
    Well....from what I gather those disciplinary tactics are long over although I might be incorrect.
    Of course, that's is a thread of it's own.
    Personally, I think those 'tactics' made us tougher but I've wrong in the past.

More coffee....back to topic....

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    The good old days.
    Well....from what I gather those disciplinary tactics are long over although I might be incorrect.
    Of course, that's is a thread of it's own.
    Personally, I think those 'tactics' made us tougher but I've wrong in the past.

More coffee....back to topic....
    Those tactics are long gone Wayne. Today, the DI's take an oath in front of their Company Commander to never lay a hand on the impressionable youth. Even cursing in front of a recruit is frowned upon but I can tell you from my recent visit to MCRD PI that still happens at times...heaven forbid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Those tactics are long gone Wayne. Today, the DI's take an oath in front of their Company Commander to never lay a hand on the impressionable youth. Even cursing in front of a recruit is frowned upon but I can tell you from my recent visit to MCRD PI that still happens at times...heaven forbid.
    I don't know....I know it's cliche but this just seems like another invasion of PC into the military and it's training traditions.
    This isn't the fvcking cub scouts.
    We're are to be toughened up, mentally and physically prepared for far more profound experiences than cake bakes with den mothers.
    I'm just speaking from my own dogmatic opinion on this subject

Sorry...not meant to hijack....back to topic...

Changes are fine, but Marine Corps Recruit Training seems to be more like a Nursery School these days. Really glad my time on the field came to an end when it did. Way too much PC these days.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Those tactics are still in use. I had my face slammed into the footlocker for looking at the DI. I ended up with a bloody nose. He told me to wipe that sh*t off my face and carry-on. Good ol' days.

thanks for all the great advice.. i think the Drill instructors should still be allowed to hit and cuss at us in my opinion it makes us stronger and last time i checked marines is supposed to be some intense **** not like the army who has stress cards and the drill insrtuctors say please to them... im glad i chose the marines its going to not only toughen me up but im gonna be the best of the best taking on a challenge that very few had the balls to take on i dont plan on ****ing up but lets face it theres no way to avoid it im gonna mess up am i gonna be one of those super sloppy recruits NO i refuse to be im gonna leave next week a simple poolee.. and come back the best a united states marine

Hardy, if your Drill Instructor is dumbass enough to make you bleed by knocking your face into the wall or a footlocker, he deserves to get thrown in the brig and does not rate your respect (but still respect the jerk's rank). Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, immediatly demand to request mast.

I can understand "Hands On" training when it has a purpose and when it is used with discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Hardy, if your Drill Instructor is dumbass enough to make you bleed by knocking your face into the wall or a footlocker, he deserves to get thrown in the brig and does not rate your respect (but still respect the jerk's rank). Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, immediatly demand to request mast.

I can understand "Hands On" training when it has a purpose and when it is used with discretion.
    i can understand that too im fine with hands on training like MCMAP i learn best by example but if the drill instructor is hitting someone just to blow of steam then yes they do need to sit and rot in the brig i dont believe in abusing others just cuz you had a bad day if one hits me he better have the means too otherwise im going to have to report him cuz someone needs to stop it before it gets too bad i dont see myself getting hit though i just wanna go there and blend in and pass and serve amongst all of you guys and many other marines active and inactive

Thread Information