What are the tabs called on a uniform? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I had airmen working for me when I was with the USCENTCOM Hq at MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL (as well as soldiers). Talk about a leadership challenge! My boss was a USAF major too. Their uniforms typically looked like soup sandwiches and they liked to call each other by their first names. I got that squared-away finally but it took a long time and constantly staying on them because it's in their culture. Had to remind myself every single day I was not leading Marines and could not expect them to look, act, and perform like Marines (that was my last duty assignment...they drove me to retirement!).
    I have to say, it seems my Marine Corps ethos has rubbed off on my oldest daughter. She will not be seen in an unpressed ABU and when she wears a service uniform, she wears real leather shoes that she spit shines (just like I taught her). She refuses to tolerate sloppiness in anyone who works for her either.

Active duty AF people drove me to retire as well. My Air Guard unit was tight, motivated, and well skilled in our job (security police). It was much more like a Marine unit than an Air Force unit. We trained with Special Forces, Army, Marines, Canadian troops, and got on ranges every chance we got. The Canadians were very impressed with how seriously we took our field training and the Green Beanie training team preferred to work with us than their Army units.

Every year we shot a full USMC 500-yard KD range table. High shooter got his name on a publicly displayed plaque. By the time we went to Desert Storm, every member of our unit had thrown at least three real hand grenades, shot five or six live 40mm grenades (and a bunch of trainers), shot BZO on everything we owned, and cross-trained (again) on other weapons. Everyone brushed up shooting AK-47s and other Soviet weapons. We even got in some live fire and maneuver work on the KD range and night shooting with and without flares and with night vision gear.

Most of our guys already had a lot of experience with all of this stuff, but we had two brand new kids straight from tech school that had to be brought up to speed fast. We had only four days of pre-deployment training and it was jammed packed busy.

When we got to our deployment location, we found the active duty unit there was crap in nearly all skill levels, and NONE had even seen a live grenade, let alone thrown one. That included all of their senior NCOs. With the exception of about two or three active duty people, the rest were a leadership challenge without peer. I think the Chief of Security Police at Minot AFB dumped all of his worst sh*t birds into this flight and shipped them over. Scary to think he had that many.

Of course, since we were "only" Air Guard, we didn't know beans. So the AD ran the show. I came very close to butt stroking the active duty E-8 one night.

The fact we had no real security problems was probably more good luck than good management. But I decided I was not going to war with the active duty Air Force ever again - and I didn't. I have a lot more I could write, but it would probably blow the site's bandwidth apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I have to say, it seems my Marine Corps ethos has rubbed off on my oldest daughter. She will not be seen in an unpressed ABU and when she wears a service uniform, she wears real leather shoes that she spit shines (just like I taught her). She refuses to tolerate sloppiness in anyone who works for her either.

Active duty AF people drove me to retire as well. My Air Guard unit was tight, motivated, and well skilled in our job (security police). It was much more like a Marine unit than an Air Force unit. We trained with Special Forces, Army, Marines, Canadian troops, and got on ranges every chance we got. The Canadians were very impressed with how seriously we took our field training and the Green Beanie training team preferred to work with us than their Army units.

Every year we shot a full USMC 500-yard KD range table. High shooter got his name on a publicly displayed plaque. By the time we went to Desert Storm, every member of our unit had thrown at least three real hand grenades, shot five or six live 40mm grenades (and a bunch of trainers), shot BZO on everything we owned, and cross-trained (again) on other weapons. Everyone brushed up shooting AK-47s and other Soviet weapons. We even got in some live fire and maneuver work on the KD range and night shooting with and without flares and with night vision gear.

Most of our guys already had a lot of experience with all of this stuff, but we had two brand new kids straight from tech school that had to be brought up to speed fast. We had only four days of pre-deployment training and it was jammed packed busy.

When we got to our deployment location, we found the active duty unit there was crap in nearly all skill levels, and NONE had even seen a live grenade, let alone thrown one. That included all of their senior NCOs. With the exception of about two or three active duty people, the rest were a leadership challenge without peer. I think the Chief of Security Police at Minot AFB dumped all of his worst sh*t birds into this flight and shipped them over. Scary to think he had that many.

Of course, since we were "only" Air Guard, we didn't know beans. So the AD ran the show. I came very close to butt stroking the active duty E-8 one night.

The fact we had no real security problems was probably more good luck than good management. But I decided I was not going to war with the active duty Air Force ever again - and I didn't. I have a lot more I could write, but it would probably blow the site's bandwidth apart.
    Don't worry Zulu, it's all very interesting.

Zulu, well said.

Yes, I made Sergeant the first time out 1 June, 1987. Just under my 5 year mark. (Actually promoted at Naval Station, Cubi Point, RP...LOL). Was up for SSgt (E-6) in 89 (actually made the list but was an idiot and got out don't get me started on THAT dumbazz decision).

Reenlisted IRR, remained Sgt.

Enlisted Army Reserves, Sgt, 11B 91-94. (Because there were no USMC reserve units at that time where I lived...not because I had a burning desire to join the army LOL).

Moved closer to DC and reenlisted into USMC Reserves, Sgt (E-5) 94-96.

97 reenlisted on to full active duty, took reduction since I'd been off AD for so long (The Marine Corps did that back in the day...not now) to LCpl E-3. At one time I was the oldest LCpl on active duty in the Corps.....Automatically promoted after 6 months to Cpl. The rest was up to me...made Sgt off the coast of Kosovo May 99.

In 'til 2001 when had to get out, oldest daughter had a medical condition that knocked me out of the deployment loop. Once that happens you WON'T get promoted no matter what you do...so again, out as a Sgt E-5 LOL.

Air Guard took me in '07, as an E-5 (no boot camp either as Zulu said). Since my hearing wasn't up to standard couldn't get the job I wanted so ended up a serious tech nerd (Bio-Environmental Engineer...not for the faint of heart if you don't know math I assure you...). Small MOS with even smaller promotional opportunities to E-6 in the Guard. Thus when I hit my 20, still an E-5. I also was at the point where I couldn't pass the physical due to hearing and other 'issues' so I knew it was time to bail. And so, I'm probably one of the very, very few actual 20 year no kidding E-5 retiree's left in the US Military from the modern era. BUT...don't feel bad for me...since my active duty time adds up to a considerable amount, my reserve retirement pay (if I live to draw it at 60) will be very, very nice. Likely as not, close to or above what Zulu will draw. (No kidding).

And there is my boring story

Oh, Zulu, yeah that makes sense (about the uniform). But now you see how I can get away with it

And I never even considered the navy (no offense 'docs).

Thumbs up

Man, Sergeant Lep., you had it rough. All that reenlisting,- if you would have been active duty the whole time you probably would have made it to e-9! That's quite the interesting story. Even today you serve your country by being a moderator on this website. Keep on keeping on. Thumbs up to you.

Thanks...but I seriously doubt that. I would have liked to have made 'Gunny', but beyond that you move from the fun stuff into lots and lots of paperwork LOL.

Yea, it is farfetched, but who knows? Dreams do come true.

Naw, I'm retired now. All over for me...and in some ways that's a good thing. I still get to go out with Marines all the time in my part time job, so it's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Naw, I'm retired now. All over for me...and in some ways that's a good thing. I still get to go out with Marines all the time in my part time job, so it's cool.
    Really? Awesome. Well, if you don't mind me asking, how could one who has returned to the civvie life go on to go out with Marines, that is, like I said, if you don't mind me asking?

It's a not for profit organization that works with the Marine Corps and the park service. United States Marine Corps Historical Company.

Thread Information