(Another) New Marine with a question on Dress Blues
Create Post

(Another) New Marine with a question on Dress Blues

As dedicated, professional, and knowledgeable as my Drill Instructors were, they never really got around to teaching us how to wear the dress blues and how to iron them.

I'm on my second day of boot leave, and trying to get all of my gear and uniforms squared away. I'm not sure how to iron the dress blue coat. Are there creases I need to iron into it? Where do they go exactly? Also, someone mentioned online that you should turn the whole coat inside out. Is that true?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

There are no creases except the obvious seams built into the uniform its self. Ironing the blues is actually extremely simple. Just lay small sections flat and iron them methodically. Because the uniform is form-fitting, just take small sections at a time so you don't accidentally iron in creases. Use lots of steam to help with the thick fabric.

The best way to avoid problems with your blues, or all your uniforms in general, is to take care of them. Dress uniforms are not skivie shirts or cammies. Don't throw them randomly in a sea bag and then wonder why they come out covered in horrible wrinkles.
    When packing your blues, it is a good idea to turn the uniform inside out, as this helps protect it. Ensure you lay it flat in your suit case.

Beltayn has it correct with thing he missed, do not use tap water in the steam iron use only distilled as some tap water has things in it that can leave a stain on the uniforms. Be very careful with the iron and do not keep it in one place to long as it can also cause the fabric to discolor over time. A hanging center fold type or garmet suitcase is best used for all your Blues as well as your greens. Duffle bags are a no go for these items.

Credits
    Savings
    Better suggestion
    Take them to a dry cleaners ,they will do a much better job than you can -and-
    If they damage your blues ----

Quote Originally Posted by gehrij View Post
    Better suggestion
    Take them to a dry cleaners ,they will do a much better job than you can -and-
    If they damage your blues ----
    spend the few dollars and have them pressed by a professional. Then, hang them in your closet covered in a garment bag. Never stuff them inside a seabag.

Until you go on a special assignment where the dress uniform is worn frequently (like embassy duty), you will rarely wear it so you can afford to pay the dry cleaning bill. I don't recall ever putting an iron on my dress uniforms (and I served two tours on embassy duty as well as Inspector-Instructor duty). Don't be so cheap.

Thread Information