Can I join with a diploma I earned online?
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Can I join with a diploma I earned online?

Hello. I'm 17 years old and I'm about to graduate Continental Academy and earn my High School Diploma. This school is fully accredited by N.A.L.S.A.S. I am NOT a highschool dropout. I've always wanted to join the Marines and become something greater, but i need to know if im eligible to enlist if i bring my diploma in hand to my local recruiting station. Thanks!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    First please fill in your profile, site rules. Secondly why are you taking online high school classes? Thirdly, the answer to your question can only be truly answered by a recruiter. Finally NALSAS doesn't carry much weight apparently

"NALSAS is an accreditation agency. However, it does not provide educational accreditation and is not recognized by the USDE.
    NALSAS on a list of "entities considered to be fraudulent accreditation mills that were set up to help diploma mills lure students and whose "accreditation" has no legal or academic value."

USDE is the US Department of Education. But go and see a recruiter anyway

Talk to your recruiter and let us know what they say so somebody else with the same question can search this topic in the future.

Is there a reason you couldn't attend a regular public school and chose to do it on-line instead (your recruiter will want to know the same thing)?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan1994 View Post
    Hello. I'm 17 years old and I'm about to graduate Continental Academy and earn my High School Diploma. This school is fully accredited by N.A.L.S.A.S. I am NOT a highschool dropout. I've always wanted to join the Marines and become something greater, but i need to know if im eligible to enlist if i bring my diploma in hand to my local recruiting station. Thanks!
    Just go to a recruiter and find out!

Credits
    Savings
    Dylan fill in your profile as asked and let us know how you made out with the recruiter. You see every bit of information someone brings us on topics that are not familiar to us becomes a learning experience for us as well. Then we can pass that info on to others

Credits
    Savings
    I spoke with a recruiter and he plainly told me i couldnt join, that they dont accept any online diploma. Ive read that most online diplomas count as Tier 2 or something, equivalent to a GED. Mabey if i take a semester in college and earn 15 credits? Im not sure, im kinda disapointed. I mean if i did get a GED, could i enlist at 17 with parental consent? Sorry USNAvaiator, ill get on that.

Have a look at http://www.ngycp.org/site/

The diplomas from Youth Challenge are accepted by the Marine Corps.

The National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program, a preventive rather than remedial at-risk youth program, which targets participants who are unemployed, drug-free and law-free high-school dropouts, 16 to 18 years of age. Select 19 year olds who will graduate before turning 20 are eligible.
    Core components of the program are:
    • Responsible Citizenship
    • Academic Excellence
    • Life-Coping Skills
    • Service to Community
    • Health and Hygiene
    • Job Skills Training
    • Leadership/Followership
    • Physical Fitness
    The 22-week Residential Phase, is followed by a year-long mentoring relationship with a specially trained member from each youth's community.
    I attended Youth Challenge January - June 2000, enlisted April of 2000 while in the program and shipped to boot camp July of 2000. You graduate the program with 2 diplomas, a GED and a Adult Ed Diploma.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan1994 View Post
    I spoke with a recruiter and he plainly told me i couldnt join, that they dont accept any online diploma. Ive read that most online diplomas count as Tier 2 or something, equivalent to a GED. Mabey if i take a semester in college and earn 15 credits? Im not sure, im kinda disapointed. I mean if i did get a GED, could i enlist at 17 with parental consent? Sorry USNAvaiator, ill get on that.
    Not a problem son. Can you get into some sort of college with that "diploma" you have? If so get your 15 credits and you'll be ok. I'll assume that someone in your family had to pay for you to take those online classes and you have very little to show for it, sad truly sad. But it's not the end of the world. Start looking for Community Colleges in your area. You might be able to start in July, get those 15 credits ASAP. Good luck to you!!

15 credits makes you golden. Tier one. Anything else and you are climbing Everest without a rope.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright, ill enroll in my local college for a semester and earn my 15 credits. Everyones been real helpful, thanks!

Good attitude for sure. Keep your head up! And...keep us in the loop.

Was just flipping through threads and came across this... would like to correct Vandral's statement here. I'm currently on duty as an 8411 (Production Recruiter) and currently youth challenge programs ARE NOT accepted, they are considered Tier 2, just like a GED. Just figured I'd get this in here before someone gets the wrong idea...

Quote Originally Posted by 26XXer View Post
    Was just flipping through threads and came across this... would like to correct Vandral's statement here. I'm currently on duty as an 8411 (Production Recruiter) and currently youth challenge programs ARE NOT accepted, they are considered Tier 2, just like a GED. Just figured I'd get this in here before someone gets the wrong idea...
    Quite interesting as that's how I enlisted. But then again that was 11 years ago

By no means was I trying to come off wrong Vandrel, I DEP'ed back in 2003 and it was the same then, however the standards are constantly being changed and/or updated and in today's recruiting environment they minimum standards and things they choose to waive are drastically different simply because we really don't "need" people anymore.

OUTstanding. Thank you SSgt! Asked/answered/closed.

Thread Information