Recon Screening, Specifics on Pool/Water Events?
Create Post

Recon Screening, Specifics on Pool/Water Events?

I enlisted the Corps to be in the infantry. It's all I wanted to do. Simple enough, right? Obviously not, with quotas and such. All of the regular 4-year active 03 contracts were unavailable until the next fiscal year, meaning I'd have to postpone my potential ship date by months. I wasn't interested in doing that. However, my recruiter gave me a nice surprise when he said that there was an 0321 contract available. 5 year contract with a signing bonus (bonus only if I pass the Indoc and everything the first time. Yeah, I know. Difficult) I realize that a lot of Marines and especially Recon Marines don't believe in poolees actually passing through into Recon, and I don't blame them. I know I could be in way over my head.

However, I'd really like to know what specific events I'll be going through at the actual screening. I've tried to do as much research as I can, and from what I can tell (as far as physical events go) it's a PFT (my average score is 280) ruck-marching, and MUCH to do in the pool. I am mainly concerned with the pool events. I am a confident swimmer and have no real trouble swimming for hours straight or treading water for extended periods. But what specific water events/tests are there at the screening?

There's the tower jump, the 500m swim with cammies, the rifle retrieval, treading water (for how long, approximately?), passing the weights while treading water, and I believe a 30yard pool-floor swim in one breath. Can a Marine, hopefully a Marine who has taken the Indoc, please verify these events and add to the list? This is so I can try to properly prepare for the Indoc and Recon in general. My first enlistment in the Marine Corps is basically riding on me doing well at the Indoc. If I fail it, I am just to be assigned another infantry MOS with a 5 year contract with no bonus and the shame of failing the Indoc. (Not that bad considering I wanted Infantry in the first place anyway.)

Any insight and advice from Marines and Recon Marines would be greatly appreciated, and could possibly add another member to the Recon Ranks for you to haze.

Thanks,
    Steve

Seems as though you have all the answers. Why did you come in here?

If you fail the Indoc, who says you're going to be put into another infantry position? Usually failing of something allows the Marine Corps to utilize you where they need you.

Thread Information