Ribbons
Create Post

Thread: Ribbons

Ribbons

I was just thinking today. What is the official PUB the Marine Corps goes by when issuing medals and ribbons? They have a pub for everything else...

Try Naval pub 1650.1H

Used to be the Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual (can't say what it is today though).

It's the SECNAVINST that sgtjimh posted.

Was talking to a Marine...retired,and he was wearing a cap with USMC on top, and in the middle then two rows rows of ribbons configured like this,PUC on top with 2 bronze stars, first row, Navy Unit Commendation with a silver star,Good Conduct Medal,National Defense Medal with 3 bronze stars.Second row,Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star,Vietnam Service Medal with one silver and 2 bronze stars,and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
    I didn't think the PUC was worn on the left side of uniform,but on the right side.I also didn't think the Armed Forces Expeditionary super ceded the Vietnam Service Medal,but he said he was in the Dominican action and that's why he deserved it.
    He told me his unit in Vietnam was the 2nd Battlion, H&S Company,4th Marines.
    I looked up the unit honors for 2/4 and he is wearing exactly the correct ribbons.All Unit awards for that time period,1962-1966.
    The PUC on the top middle threw me off as I had only seen it worn on the right side of the uniform.Someone help me with this one,as I'm sure the man was of the highest character.
    Semper Fi

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Was talking to a Marine...retired,and he was wearing a cap with USMC on top, and in the middle then two rows rows of ribbons configured like this,PUC on top with 2 bronze stars, first row, Navy Unit Commendation with a silver star,Good Conduct Medal,National Defense Medal with 3 bronze stars.Second row,Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star,Vietnam Service Medal with one silver and 2 bronze stars,and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
    I didn't think the PUC was worn on the left side of uniform,but on the right side.I also didn't think the Armed Forces Expeditionary super ceded the Vietnam Service Medal,but he said he was in the Dominican action and that's why he deserved it.
    He told me his unit in Vietnam was the 2nd Battlion, H&S Company,4th Marines.
    I looked up the unit honors for 2/4 and he is wearing exactly the correct ribbons.All Unit awards for that time period,1962-1966.
    The PUC on the top middle threw me off as I had only seen it worn on the right side of the uniform.Someone help me with this one,as I'm sure the man was of the highest character.
    Semper Fi
    I dont know of any Unit that received "3 PUC's", if he was wearing it with 2 bronze star's.. They only rated two 1945- Okinawa, 1965–1967, 1966–1967 - Vietnam...

Nor a Navy Unit Commendation with a silver star indicating a total of 6 awards.. they rated only this for 1944 - Guam, 1965, 1968 - Vietnam, 1975 - Southeast Asia Evac's, 1990 - Liberia, 1990-1 - Desert Storm...

National Defense Medal with 3 bronze stars, indicating 4 awards. 1950–1954 - Korean War, 1961–1974 - Vietnam, 1990–1995 - Gulf War, 2001–present - War on Terrorism...

He must have been in for a very L O N G time....

Sound's like some embellishment...

Army PUC is worn on the right side.. PUC is worn on the Left side with all other ribbons.. unless when in full dress blues wearing medals.. all non medal's are then worn on the right side..

Then he wasn't being honest.He should have had the PUC with 1 bronze star,1965--1967.He shouldn't have had a silver star with the Navy Unit Commondation.and just the National Defense,Armed Forces Expeditionary,Vietnam Service,w/o stars,and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
    I was a little suspicious about the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with a bronze star,as I had never seen that before.I think he could have been correct with the Vietnam Service Medal,but 2 silver and one bronze star,he must have been in every battle that was fought while he was in Nam!!
    Semper FI

Thread Information