Open Contract
Create Post

Thread: Open Contract

Open Contract

Hello

I am going to bootcamp July 25th. I had to chose my job today, I'm interested in Infantry. The options were Public Affairs, Accounting and Legal Assistant. I want nothing to do with those jobs, So I picked Open Contract. I have a 71 on the ASVAB. I do 19 pullups, 120 crunches and I run a 9 minute 1 1/2 mile. I was planning on talking to the Senior Drill Instructor. What are your views? Im starting to think I may have made the wrong choice.

Thanks
    Durran

I would have jumped on that PAO gig but that's just me. It is what it is, now. You won't get Infantry, it's full. Such is the way of things.

Open contract means you will get put in a field where they need bodies, and probably not a field that anyone wants to be in. If I had it all to do over again, the one thing I would change would be to not go open contract.

Don't give up, maybe the bamma will start another war and everything will open again.

Like we always said "Give war a chance."

First, why do you want to go 03xx. Ask yourself that. Ive met Marines who wanted to go 03xx to be a badass, and now regret it. I myself am in the Airwing. 71 on your asvab, so you arent stupid. Go Public Affairs. Trust me. You wont regret it. You can always Lat move later. If 03xx is that important to you, then just wait to ship to boot until 03xx opens.

Hope you like cooking (for hundreds of people at the same time).

Your Senior Drill Instructor will not be able to help you. His job is to train you, not assign/change MOS's.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I can't even imagine anyone talking to a Drill Instructor, Senior or Junior, about anything, unless you were first spoken to----- in late 1963 without getting half killed for their efforts, literally.
    Dave I'm not sure but I think he might be referring to his recruiter? If not then yes he's in for world of hurt

We used to have a spreedsheet here that showed what actual MOS's someone who went to Boot Camp on an Open Contract got. Out of all of the guys who left here open contract, very few ended up with horrible jobs and no one ended up in food service.

The people who are responsible for assigning jobs to those who go open contract understand that everything is limited now and they won't screw you over. Most of the things I have seen people assigned has been Artillary, LAV Mech, and various Aviation jobs.

And who knows, maybe between now and the time you go to leave, an Infantry job may open because of someone being discharged. Just let your Recruiter know that if something like that opens up you want it.

I knew plenty of cooks who had gone in open contract. Granted, this was several years ago and things may have changed, but I'd be willing to bet that it's still hard to fill your quota on cooks coming in on contract.

And corrections...who would want to become a Marine just to be a jailer 24/7 (no disrespect intended)?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Durran View Post
    Hello

I am going to bootcamp July 25th. I had to chose my job today, I'm interested in Infantry. The options were Public Affairs, Accounting and Legal Assistant. I want nothing to do with those jobs, So I picked Open Contract. I have a 71 on the ASVAB. I do 19 pullups, 120 crunches and I run a 9 minute 1 1/2 mile. I was planning on talking to the Senior Drill Instructor. What are your views? Im starting to think I may have made the wrong choice.

Thanks
    Durran

I'm a little confused here Tony. On your profile you state your occupation as

That's a Marine Corps MOS. Is that what you wanted and didn't get? Why state a military MOS as your occupation if you're not in the military?

As far as open contract, can you get out of it? I think the majority on here have told you an open contract is not the best way to go. I think you are now realizing this fact. On Monday go and see your recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    And corrections...who would want to become a Marine just to be a jailer 24/7 (no disrespect intended)?
    I'm sure people do. There are also people who go into the Corps so they can become cooks.

Thread Information