Series of Questions from a future Marine! - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    @chulaivet1966 and @iamsparticus

If i focus too much on lifting weights and building alot of muscle, wont i still be considered over weight to the Corps even if my body fat % is minimal? I guess that's why you keep saying go for cardio huh? Either way muscle is heavier than fat. Im guessing i would have to be ridiculously muscular to still be over weight at my height, right? This is a very real worry for me in any case. Seems like something where great care is needed...

Generally speaking, all fruit juices are loaded with added sugar (to make them taste better especially for children). Even the kind that say "100% juice with no added sugar".

Check the labels. I have found the diet fruit juices have the lowest sugar content.

I believe your primary goal at this point is weight loss, not strength or adding muscle.

You have not mentioned anything about actually talking to a recruiter yet. When do you plan on doing that? They have scales and tape measures in their offices and can give you an idea what you need to shoot for.

Ok...getting ahead of myself.

First, respect to your dad for his service.

Certainly...the situps/crunches are beneficial for your PT test so in that sense stay with them.
    I would guess pullups and pushups should be worked on too.
    Others will help you with what the PT will entail.

Yes...iamspartacus and I have dialogued ...see above post.
    The 'water' thing....I would say use common sense and don't over think some of this.
    Your weight was gained by bad eating habits over a long period of time and cannot be attributed to one thing like your milk comment.

Cold cereals...I would not believe all the hype (iron) added on the box of cold cereals.
    Get your iron from better sources:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/t...ron-rich-foods
    Me...I'm an oatmeal guy and you can't go wrong with it.

Veggies are very easy to steam....you're making it more difficult than it is but I understand you are trying very hard so all is well.

For the free weights info see my dialogue with iamspartacus in the previous post.
    We're all saying the same thing and it's impossible to cover every detail in just a few threads.

Use your own good judgement and stay on the path.

EDIT: as I stated previously...concentrate on diet and cardio for weight loss.
    Go ahead and do a bit of light weight training...not heavy work until your weight in where it's supposed to be.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Generally speaking, all fruit juices are loaded with added sugar (to make them taste better especially for children). Even the kind that say "100% juice with no added sugar".

Check the labels. I have found the diet fruit juices have the lowest sugar content.
    Noted! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousWarrior View Post

If i focus too much on lifting weights and building alot of muscle, wont i still be considered over weight to the Corps even if my body fat % is minimal? I guess that's why you keep saying go for cardio huh? Either way muscle is heavier than fat. Im guessing i would have to be ridiculously muscular to still be over weight at my height, right? This is a very real worry for me in any case. Seems like something where great care is needed...
    First of all, the Marine Corps does take into account meat heads who are very fit, with low body fat % but are technically overweight. It's called a tape test or some crap like that. I don't know much about it. Never had to deal with it. In any case, that's not you right now. And if you ever are in that situation you can worry about it then.

But back to you. Yes, right now, cardio takes more priority over lifting weights. Not that lifting weights won't help you and you shouldn't do it. It still raises your natural metabolic rate. It still burns calories. And stronger muscles will help you perform better at your cardio. But you want to concentrate on activities that gets your heart rate up.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    He had guts.
    Lots of them.....

"When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce."

In your case use low calorie.....however NOTHING is impossible if you put your mind to it and literally work your azz off!

Plenty of exercises....pull ups....crunches....push ups....push backs....count calories and portions until you get to your desired weight....

Losing the weight to join the Marines is admirable.....however I would suggest that you do have your thyroid checked as it can be disqualifying.....

See a recruiter and work with him on PT so you reach your goal.....the key is to lose....but to also lose safely....

Good luck to you....there have been many overweight wannabees that made fine Marines.....read some of the stories in the Poolee and Ask A Marine forums.....

Motivation comes from within.....when you think you can't you won't.....when you know you can do it regardless of the task you will!

Credits
    Savings
    Okay this might be my most important question yet... And this is for everyone looking at this thread but especially those Marines who have given advice.

I wasnt gonna ask but then i figured what would be the harm? And even now im not 100% sure how to phrase it. Here goes... Do you think it would be fine if i could post weekly updates on my progress, you know for moral support i guess... Sounds a bit corny but i can see how people say its extremely helpful. Basically what i mean is either in this thread or another (should i make another?) i would post specific details such as what i ate each day and what exactly i did or how i exercised and of course current weight. If the Marines would let me in now i would go even in my condition just so i could get it done and achieve the title of a Marine quicker. It makes me sick that im not in shape already so i could go sooner. But you guys's motivation is perhaps the next best thing!

This would serve a few purposes. Personally i would be able to track my progress visually over time and as would anybody. It would serve as a goal in-itself week by week to be able to report the best news i could. And perhaps the most important purpose is that i could potentially have a step by step guide on what to do next (for ex. how i should up the exercise counts or weight or anything) or how to proceed if i hit a plateau or whatever by you guys and anyone's advice...

Motivation is everything, and what better motivation can be obtained than from Marines!

I can promise you i will do everything in my power to become a Marine. Bottom line. Your time WILL not be wasted here! But i will leave the ball in your guys's court. Of course if thats not something you Marines want to do then i understand and that will not stop me either way from motivating myself despite it being a much more difficult endeavor alone. Thanks for considering my question!

Personally, I don't have a problem with you posting weekly progress reports. If that helps you stay on track and attain your goal that's fine.

I do have a problem with this post being in the Marine Corps Forum. Since you are not a Marine you do not belong here and you need to get to the appropriate place ASAP. This is a result of posting before reading the site rules (not a good idea). You were told to read them but apparently have not followed those instructions. You need to send a PM to Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to please move this post to the "Ask A Marine" thread in the Marine Corps Recruit Forum. I will watch to see if this is accomplished within the next 24 hours; if not, I will not have anymore time for you (I do not waste my time on wannabes who do not follow instructions nor do many of the Marines who are offering you their time and advice).

Another thing while we are having this personal time together. You may have figured out we Marines take earning the title very seriously (it was not given to us). We did not survive bootcamp (and in some cases actual combat against the enemy) and earned the title just to be called "guys" by a wannabe. Guys are people back on the block who have not earned anything yet (sorta like you). Call us Marines and you will be good-to-go.

Credits
    Savings
    This is a result of posting before reading the site rules (not a good idea). You were told to read them but apparently have not followed those instructions.
    I actually looked all over after your first comment about rules but i couldn't find them anywhere. I just assumed that they only showed up during account creation. Clearly i missed it though. Could you point me in the right direction?

You need to send a PM to Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to please move this post to the "Ask A Marine" thread in the Marine Corps Recruit Forum. I will watch to see if this is accomplished within the next 24 hours; if not, I will not have anymore time for you (I do not waste my time on wannabes who do not follow instructions nor do many of the Marines who are offering you their time and advice).
    Done...my mistake...

Another thing while we are having this personal time together. You may have figured out we Marines take earning the title very seriously (it was not given to us). We did not survive bootcamp (and in some cases actual combat against the enemy) and earned the title just to be called "guys" by a wannabe. Guys are people back on the block who have not earned anything yet (sorta like you). Call us Marines and you will be good-to-go.
    "Sorta" like me? Id say that pretty well defines me... Anyway i mean no disrespect. When i used "guys", thats just casual conversation, not formal. I didnt think we were at the formal level... Also looking back on the context, based on grammar, Marine('s) doesn't sound quite correct. However your point has been recieved. In any case consider it (for the most part) solved...

Go to the Marine Corps Recruit Forum. Find the POOL(ee) HALL thread. The rules are in there.

We are not friends and we are not having casual conversation. You are a wannabe asking for advice...let's just keep it in that context. It is a common mistake for civilians to refer to Marines as "guys" but you know better now so it won't happen again. Try to think of it this way; once you earn the title, would you want someone calling you a "guy" or a Marine? If you say it won't matter then you need to seek a different occupation.

Doesn't matter what context, grammar, or anything else...Marines IS correct!

You have a steep hill to climb, but serious physical transformations are possible. Mine was from the opposite end of the spectrum. When I walked in to the Officer Selection Office I weighed 120 lbs soaking wet and could do one pull up, maybe 40 crunches and my three mile was over thirty minutes. I've since gained 45 lbs of muscle and ran a 294 on my last PFT and a 284 on my last CFT. The hardest part was mental, meaning forcing yourself to make physical fitness a part of your daily routine where it wasn't before. I hadn't exercised in five years before I contracted.

A bit of advice: don't drink milk before strenuous physical activity. It takes a long time to digest and it sits and your stomach. And then it usually comes back up.

No white bread. Wheat is best.

Don't know where you found an 11 lb weight (weird number). I would save up and spring for a set of two of whatever will push you now. Maybe like two 15 or 20 lbs? They had them at Target for like $19 each. When you move up beyond 15-20 lbs for curls or whatever you can use them for other exercises.

At your weight, your most likely to hurt yourself with the running. When you get down to a weight or place where you are running outside be careful about it. All that weight on your joints can cause a lot of trouble really fast. I was skinny and a had a lot of hip flexor problems as I was unaccustomed to running. Stretch the s*** out of your lower body, even if it is running in place.

Learn how to cook. It will pay off in the long run. Nothing fancy, but enough to grill some meat or veggies or put a salad together. It's cheaper than you think, definitely cheaper than fast food in the long run.

Semper Fi

I actually looked all over after your first comment about rules but i couldn't find them anywhere. I just assumed that they only showed up during account creation. Clearly i missed it though. Could you point me in the right direction?
    [Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Ask a Marine forum rules..READ THESE BEFORE POSTING..MARINES TOO!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

At your goal right now, cardio is the best for you and every day at that.
    There is quite a bit of good advise on here. Just know this. You didn't gain all that weight in a year. You have had YEARS of improper eating habits and it is going to take some time to correct that. Believing it will happen over night is only setting yourself up for failure. I say this from experience. The best thing for you right this minute is get your eating more organized and cardio cardio cardio.

Credits
    Savings
    [quote=Zoso68;781245]Don't know where you found an 11 lb weight (weird number).

I can't remember where I got it but yeah, it is indeed a very weird number!

Excellent advice! Makes a lot of sense. Thank You!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwoman73 View Post
    At your goal right now, cardio is the best for you and every day at that.
    There is quite a bit of good advise on here. Just know this. You didn't gain all that weight in a year. You have had YEARS of improper eating habits and it is going to take some time to correct that. Believing it will happen over night is only setting yourself up for failure. I say this from experience. The best thing for you right this minute is get your eating more organized and cardio cardio cardio.
    Well this is something I am in for in the long run for sure. I have 190lbs to lose and I calculated that it will take me (best case scenario) about 17 months to complete. I would have to lose about 10 pounds a month in order to achieve that but ultimately I am not sure how realistic that time frame is but that sounds about right if I can manage to not falter...

Do any Marines here know if that is a realistic time frame and a realistic amount of weight (per month) to lose giving that I exercise 30 minuets a day with heavy cardio and I keep calories in check?

Thread Information