Camp schwab, Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Camp schwab, Okinawa

Anybody stationed there? Im getting stationed there and I keep getting mixed opinions about it, that is the worst place to get stationed at, others say its actually good, whats your opinion? Also.what should I do with my phone before going to Oki? I appreciate everybody's comments Semper Fi devils!

Hard to say, its on a beach so thats nice. But you will be furthest away from everything as possible. I guess for you guys the only thing you can go to is Kin town thats right outside of Hanson. Trying to go down south any futher you wouldnt have time to be able to get back to Schwab before midnight curfew. As far as going north, not so sure. I only have an outside perspect so there might be additional things there that I do not know about.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

I feel sorry for you this is why they call it THE ROCK a real boring place to have duty station. I was there after my tour in Nam late 1970 and now that the japaness have it back check out the new military laws we had more free roam back in the day specially in the small towns but those towns are no longer small today. Again, sorry kid take your duty station on the chin and apply for another place if you can.

Great diving right off base. Range has tar/cement firing lines, so you can get into a good tight shooting position (shot my best qual day score on Schwab - 242) I was their last in 94 - I am sure it's gotten nicer as far as creature comforts go.

Have fun. Look for the 92 year old mama san with no teeth -- gum job.

It's what you make of it.

Is this your first duty station? If so, you'll do just fine. You just get 100% into being a Marine with no distractions.

If you have a ****ty outlook on it, you'll have a ****ty time.

Do yourself a long-term favor: Instead of drinking like most the other Marines will be doing (like I did), get a paddy certified with diving and you'll have a blast and a skill you can enjoy the rest of your life.

EDIT: Looks like the board filters out the "sheat" word.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguilar90 View Post
    Anybody stationed there? Im getting stationed there and I keep getting mixed opinions about it, that is the worst place to get stationed at, others say its actually good, whats your opinion? Also.what should I do with my phone before going to Oki? I appreciate everybody's comments Semper Fi devils!

Are you going as part of a UDP or are you assigned there as permanent personnel?

If UDP, enjoy your brief stay, because you'll be off base (and off island) as much as you are on base.

If you are permanent personnel, well, go into it with the idea of enjoying your time as well.

As mentioned, great scuba diving off Schwab (and almost all of Oki). If you are not certified to dive, plan on getting your certification there.

Don't ignore the opportunity to learn some of the history. Schwab is right in the AO of where the 6th MarDiv did some heavy fighting - especially right across the island on the Motobu peninsula and the city of Nago. Likewise, plan to head south to visit some other Marine battlefields (including Shuri).

Bottom line - much of Oki is what you make it.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I was stationed there for a month just before we went to Nam so I didn't get to see much of it also there for a week after rotating out of Nam.

Spent about six months at Schwab, with 7th Comm, also after Vietnam. Loved it! Great part of the island. Right on the ocean, if you like to swim, fish, go boating in the ocean, or dive, and great hiking in the hills close by, too.

The little fishing village of Henoko, is within walking distance of the base, and Nago, the biggest city in the north island, is a 15 minute bus ride. Kinn, Kadena AFB, and Naha (the capitol) isn't all that far away, in the southern end. Maybe a 30 minute taxi ride.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that have changed, but probably a lot of things ares still the same.

iTS allright. Like thay all said it does have a great beach. Henoko the little vill just outside the gate is the typical militay ville. Bars and you know what. Leave your Phone at home as well as any class ring or anything of value becuse you will be tempted to pawn them whe the money runs short. They have a MARS station or at least they used to and its free. Remember 1 thing Treat the People in the ville like humans and they will treat you fine. Semper Fi and good luck Marine. SSgt M Smith

I spent a year on Oki from 83-84. Your experience will totally depend on what you want out of it. Oki is known as the rock. It is anything but a rock. There are great beaches, tropical gardens, jungles, cities, town, villages and there is a lot to do. If you are a grunt, you will be busy and won't have to worry much about it and will most likely go on float. If you are going to be assigned as permanent personnel, take advantage of the opportunity. I knew Marines who said it was boring and nothing to do. They sat around the barracks smoking and the only thing they ever did for excitement was go out and get drunk. If that's your thing, it's there. I was a Sgt and after arriving bought a used bike to get around. I signed up for college classes. In short order I bought an old clunker Toyota and explored the island, from beaches to cliffs to botanical gardens. I played baseball with Oki school children on weekends. Powerlifting was popular then and I worked out several hours a day and competed up and down the Island. Schwab was my first competition. I was at Hansen-Butler but I worked at Foster, Schwab, Kinser, MCAS Futenma, and ever 3 months flew up to Iwakuni. There are beach houses, surfing, diving. I waterskied in the ocean. There is great fishing. Three Marines who worked for me when I arrived, they were on their 3rd year, having extended twice because they liked it so much. Once you get over the initial humidity shock, get settled in, there is a lot to do if you get out and find it. I did a lot of shopping, bought gifts for family back home, went into open air markets, sampled weird food, some that almost made me barf. Take advantage of all the Marine Corps can provide, whether education, training, job skill, or travel. The year I spent there on an unaccompanied tour went by very fast. I loved it and would have volunteered to go back if I had stayed in. Good luck!

I was at Schwab 04-07, wasn't that bad at all. It would have been great to have family housing a little closer then Courtney but oh well. I know when I left in 07 they had approved plans to rebuild the entire camp, new PX (to replace the new one they built in 06) and much more. There was also plans to relocate the MCAS to Schwab and build a new strip up there but I don't think that ever happened (it was around the time that the 46 crashed off-base outside of the strip).

Schwab is what you make of it, if you like great PT runs then that's your place. The gym is great. PFT course blows. The Beachhead (club) is pretty decent when it's open. The theater was remodeled in 06 and not half bad. They had some new'er barracks being constructed when I left that were ok. One of the cool features of Schwab is the rifle range is right outside the gate, so "WHEN" Hansen Range Control actually schedules a rifle range at Schwab you can have a really quick trip to the range. Overall the beach is the best part of Schwab, and in my opinion the best out of all of the bases on Oki.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguilar90 View Post
    Best duty station, they will break your cherry, Semper Fidelis.

by far the worst base on okinawa, a boring base to be at. theres nothing around. but it is only $100 round trip taxi ride from the 2nd largest aquairum in the world

Did two tours on OKI during my career but I was at Foster/Zukeran/Butler (1st MAW Hq building both times) and never made it up north to Schwab.

I agree that OKI is pretty much what you make of it. You can decide to be miserable and waste your time/money there or you can decide to take advantage of the available opportunities already mentioned. Never did the SCUBA thing but I did play in an intramural softball league and took as many classes at the University of Maryland as I could (paid for by tuition assistance so never cost me a thing...air conditioned classrooms a plus).

Can't answer your question about your phone as back in the day we didn't have cell phones.

Good luck with your tour of duty on The Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Did two tours on OKI during my career but I was at Foster/Zukeran/Butler (1st MAW Hq building both times) and never made it up north to Schwab.

I agree that OKI is pretty much what you make of it. You can decide to be miserable and waste your time/money there or you can decide to take advantage of the available opportunities already mentioned. Never did the SCUBA thing but I did play in an intramural softball league and took as many classes at the University of Maryland as I could (paid for by tuition assistance so never cost me a thing...air conditioned classrooms a plus).

Can't answer your question about your phone as back in the day we didn't have cell phones.

Good luck with your tour of duty on The Rock.
    This made me realize that I didnt say anything good bout oki. Scuba diving/snorkeling is amazing in oki and just for that im glad i went, and if you are into car thats another nice thing. There are cars in Japan that you will never see in the US. South is the place to be but there are a lot of cool things to see north but you need a license and being so young its about 99% sure you wont get one.

Thread Information