Anyone here serve at MCAS Iwakuni? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    I had an aparto off base for most of the time I was there....I DO NOT remember the smell of a crematory. But I do remember the smell of the binjos and the nightsoil spread on the fields by the honeybucket man. A lot of incense was burned. Went down to DaNang and came back and the partying was still going strong. Several of us put our money together and bought two junky cars. Before that the trains were a good ride. In a way, I hated to leave, but things were getting hot. Oh yeah, the base was OK....

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiParent View Post
    She hasn't seen any official paperwork yet, but the SNCO at LCpl Andrews MOS school verbally informed her that she is going to be shipped to Iwakuni.

If anyone here spent any time there, I'd appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks

Carl

Proud father of a United States Marine.
    Went TAD to Iwakuni 3 times in '83-84 - two for 1 week and one for two weeks. I was a Sgt, would get my orders, hop on a plane off Futenma or Kadena, fly up to Iwakuni, do what I was there for, and when off duty or frequently finished early, would play the part of the tourist and head to town exploring. I only went into ville out the back gate once, remember a wooden bridge shaped like an arc, muddy river, huts up on the hillside. MCAS Iwakuni itself I thought was a great air station and enjoyed it. The other times I went off base, I took a train to Hiroshima to see ground zero, the dome, museam, etc. Never had school children swamp me, though, and don't remember smells at Iwakuni. Like I told a parent whose kid is going to Oki, it will be what she makes it. There are always many things to do, but if one would rather sit around the barracks, drink, and gripe, well...it'll probably suck. Somebody already commented about this excellent opportunity to go live in a foreign country at Uncle Sam's expense. It is an excellent opportunity.

Don't know if anybody has commented about weather, but I experienced fall temperatures, mild and quite nice. Second time it was cold, frozen, 6-8 inches of snow and I was not prepared. I got the call in the morning to pack my bag, get up to Futenma, and you're heading to Iwakuni within the hour, so I coming from Oki, where it was 70s, I did not prepare for frigid weather and traveled up in charlies. Somebody lent me a field jacket, though, and it seems like you weren't supposed to wear field jackets in charlies, but I did it anyway. Third time it rained.

Here is a link to check out. It is Marine Corps bases Japan. Click on Iwakuni, but you can check out some Oki camps, too, because she may be fapped or TAD'd.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcbjapan/Pages/default.aspx

I love your avatar...but can't read the whole thing...

Great site good on ya for posting that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I love your avatar...but can't read the whole thing...

Great site good on ya for posting that up!
    Wouldn't let me insert, but the text reads:

"That sinking feeling that comes when you finally realize that your 'leader,' the person upon whom your very life depends, does not have even the slightest clue."

Awesome!!!!! Lol. Where did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Wouldn't let me insert, but the text reads:

"That sinking feeling that comes when you finally realize that your 'leader,' the person upon whom your very life depends, does not have even the slightest clue."

I was chief legal clerk in 1964-65 so my info would be very outdated but it was a great duty station back then.

Thread Information