So an Army recruiter called me today - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That one I know of but again their mission isn't something I'd really be interested and in something like that if you're not completely into it you shouldn't do it.

That and I think the AF might be the only branch harder than the Corps to get in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Augustus View Post
    That one I know of but again their mission isn't something I'd really be interested and in something like that if you're not completely into it you shouldn't do it.

That and I think the AF might be the only branch harder than the Corps to get in PS.
    You seem set on a DA MOS. Ranger regiment would be your best option. Also, the 101st gets in on alot of action. They have been in the heart of the battle since the very beginning as far as Afghanistan is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    You seem set on a DA MOS. Ranger regiment would be your best option. Also, the 101st gets in on alot of action. They have been in the heart of the battle since the very beginning as far as Afghanistan is concerned.
    I do, ever since I deployed and got out there it was like as if I just knew I should be doing this. Granted I was barely 19 but it was the first time I got to put my skills in anything to use and it just came natural which is odd coming from a sheltered kid who went to private school his entire life.

The 101 took a huge amount of casualties this past deployment to A'stan. I saw an article on it the other day.

A few thoughts I would like to share. There are some very good people in the Army, however, there are many people who should not be there. If you are a good soldier I promise you that you will be heavily utilized while others will be neglected. See it is easier to get a good soldier to perform rather than to try to motivate a dirtbag. There are a fair share of dirtbags in the Army. I am basing this on my experience alone which was many years ago. I do not think our culture has changed. If it has. It has gotten worst. I am basing this on my interactions with today's youth. They are much different than we were. They are not as physically active and have more of a sense of self entitlement. I am certain some of these types have slipped through the cracks and have made their way into the Regiment and the SF community, however, I bet their numbers are much lower than in the conventional army. I was offered some nice opportunities to reenlist. They offered me a few very nice options such as their nursing program and OCS. Those were the two most attractive options they presented me with. I told them I was not interested. They asked, "what it would take to keep me in the Army"? I told them there was nothing they could do that would keep me there. I still do not regret my decision to ETS. You seem like a good man, but you can tell only so much about a person online. If you are the man I think you are be prepared to work hard and probably more harder than most others around you. Good luck!

Something I left out. They tried to RUSH me through the process(NCO board and PLDC) to quickly become a NCO before my ETS date arrived. They thought this would have a huge impact on my decision to reup. It was a ridiculous effort, imo. One I did not comply with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I can comment on post 34, as far as the Army having disciplinary problems.
    They have more NJP, article 15s, courts-martial than any other service, not just in relation to their numbers, either.
    They have the most disciplinary problems in the entire United States military.
    It was like that 30 years ago and is true today. The Air Force and Navy have their share, but the Army has a much bigger share.

Lower enlistment standards than the other branches, perhaps???

The Army is definitely a different animal. When I got out of the Corps and joined the Army Reserve, the transition wasn't without its challenges, but those are pretty easy to overcome.

We were trained not to like any other branch except the Corps. That was part of our training. And we are elite. But I disagree with some other folks who say the Army is nothing. People fought and died as soldiers in WWII, Vietnam, other wars, same as the Marines did in the South Pacific. So the Army did and does their part too. We only feel the way we do because we were in the best branch. That doesn't mean the other branches have no worth, though.
    So I can see an Army recruiter reaching out----that's his job.
    Yeah, the Army kicked alot of ass through the years especially 7th Corps during Desert Storm.

Yep, they all do their parts. Many Marines on here have commented on the Vietnam war and what it would have been like absent the USN and USAF air power flying over them.
    So all in all, every branch not only has its function, but is a credit to the United States of America. We engage in friendly rivalry, but sometimes it can be unfriendly, and that's when we have to remember one thing----the Army is not the Corps and the Corps is not the Army---sounds simple and it is simple, but they are two different things and when we judge the Army by Corps standards, well---we just shouldn't.

Two different entities with different missions.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Right---but we compare them all the time. When we do, the Marines come out on top and the Army seems like nothing, and maybe it isn't, compared to the Corps, but it is still a military branch with a job to do.
    The thing to do is not to compare the two. We don't do it with apples and oranges. Why do it with branches of the military?

I don't know Dave I think there is a pretty clear distinction as evidenced by the following

When I joined the Army Reserve, I was conscious that when people would see me in uniform, they would see a soldier and not know that I was a Marine first. Plus, this was right after Desert Storm and all the soldiers who had been were wearing their combat patches. Having gone with the Corps, I didn't have a combat patch, so I would sometimes get treated as someone who hadn't gone, but that was never a major problem. It did lead to some interesting conversations, though.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    I don't know Dave I think there is a pretty clear distinction as evidenced by the following

Haha!

That picture looks like it was taken in-theater somewhere, too. I wonder if the guy went overseas as a wide-body or if he was kinda fat, then got bigger when he got there.

Right---but we compare them all the time. When we do, the Marines come out on top and the Army seems like nothing, and maybe it isn't, compared to the Corps, but it is still a military branch with a job to do.
    The thing to do is not to compare the two. We don't do it with apples and oranges. Why do it with branches of the military?
    You guys mostly do that. That is ok but do it in the proper manner. Compare yourselves to the Regiment or even the airborne units. Remember how well the 82nd did in Fallujah and the Marines not so well at first? The Army has had its moments.

Quote Originally Posted by CrockettJW View Post
    Haha!

That picture looks like it was taken in-theater somewhere, too. I wonder if the guy went overseas as a wide-body or if he was kinda fat, then got bigger when he got there.

Notice you guys always compare yourselves to our lowest standard and not someone as handsome or tough as myself?

What is this "you guys"? I never compared the Army and Marine Corps on here. LOL
    I meant the Marines in general. Soldiers typically do not discuss this. At least me and my friends never. My father constantly does. Everytime he sees me.

Thread Information