Lets Talk Marine Corps Packs and duece gear - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt.B-The Fanny Pack was very well used...Used too carry 250's Rnd's of M-60 Ammo all of My Squad did in tha BUSH.Hell I even used an Old Demo Bag full of 12 Gauge Rnd's when I humped also...Used alot of #4!!! 00 in tha Rear with tha Beer S/F

Quote Originally Posted by ryanficken View Post
    RAT boots are garbage. About a year ago, just before we deployed, we were told that the boots were in a test phase, and our input was encouraged. I'll tell you firsthand that they don't breath well (or at all, really), they're constricting, keep moisture in, are hot, and a good portion of Marines managed to tear them up through seven months of patrols. All of those, and you can't wear them in garrison, since they're a 'combat boot'. Honestly, I stuck to my trusty boot camp issued jungle boots for the majority of our deployment. They have holes for breathability and drainage, fit well around the foot, never uncomfortable, they're not designated as a 'combat boot', and I still wear the same boots every day here in garrison. They've got a few tears and blemishes, but they're still looking good after 2 years, 7 months of that being in country.
    Are those the ones that didn't have the EGA on them? I know we wore a different boot, when we deployed. They were far far lighter, didn't get wet hardly but they had no cushion what so ever and were not supposed to be worn stateside even though a bunch of did because we liked them better.

I still have them but yea after one deployment they definitely were not serviceable.

I LOVED THE FANNY PACKS THEY WERE MORE COMFORTABLE THEN THE UNIT ONES.
    if i had to run the fanny pack did fling all around like the unit ones

I WONDER IF OTHER CORPMAN FEEL THAT WAy

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN

INTeresting! Thanks for that candid observation on the boots Ryan.

Thanks, too, Doc, for your perspective on this. They now issue a big ole 3 part nylon bag as the 'a' bag (is that what it's called?). I'm not up on my 'doc stuff though.

These are interesting posts. I know that when I was in (1990-1995) we had the ALICE system, but most of the time S-4 never had the whole system in-stock so Marines had partial sets and did without. It was rare to see a pack frame, and even rarer to see a Large pack, only RECON got those, and they were called Rucks. Most of what we were using in the early 90s was not that different from the Vietnam issue, accept we were using plastic canteens by then, and they were bad because they tended to keep the taste of things that were absorbed into the plastic. The old H-Harness, Cartridge Belt, M-16 ammo pouches, canteens, and first aid kits were about it, the rest went on, or in the pack. We only carried up to one extra set of utilities, and yes we had the E-Tool, but it was not as good as the earlier versions. I have seen the new systems and I am not impressed. I use the one I was trained with when Elk and Deer hunting. I find camel backs are nice, but I still like two canteens better. Guess all Marines are creatures of habbit.>>

Credits
    Savings
    In 1960 we had the field transport pack, as Sgt. Lep.
    said two pack held together with a belt. Now here is a
    story some of you might have heard about the field
    transport pack an Chesty Puller when he was at
    Camp Lejeune in the late 50s. Chesty ordered the hole
    Batt. to pack all there gear field transport packs for a
    20 mile force march. So the next day the hole batt. was
    assembled, and with Chesty at the front, off they went
    on their 20 mile march. At 10 miles out Chesty halted
    the Batt. for a 5 min break, then told evey one to take
    off there boots and put them in a trailer being pulled by a jeep as the jeep slowly passed by. Then he told every
    one to take out your extra boots out of your packs and
    put them on. Well all I can say is there was a lot of
    Marines who walk back the next 10 miles in there socks.
    This is an old story, I am not sure its ture or not, but
    with Chesty anything is possible.

Thread Information