What exactly can reservists volunteer for??
Create Post

What exactly can reservists volunteer for??

During multiple talks with my recruiter, I've been a little frusterated with a lack of an answer to this question: what exactly can reservists volunteer for?

To be more specific, I'm slated to leave Oct 3rd for Parris Island. The unit I'm going to, provided I graduate and earn the title Marine, is the 1/25 Charlie Co. reserve unit out of Plainville CT. My MOS is 0311.

I have a few personal reasons with family that kept me from enlisting earlier in life (I'm 26 now, 27 in October), and even still the sames reasons are why I'm enlisting in the reserves for my first 4 years, and ideally going active afterwards.

My recruiter talked a lot about how the reserves were great because you could volunteer to be activated all the time... from deployments, to humanitarian aid, to additional training, to transferring to different bases easily etc etc... My main question is, are there, like job postings of some sort once you're in? I mean, I always thought if there's a need for anything the Corps would fill the need on its own accord, so where exactly does the whole 'volunteer deployment', or 'volunteer humanitarian aid' come from? I'm just still confused how all of that works...

thanks for any clarification

In the USMC, there is a big difference between what is possible and what is probable. You can volunteer for deployment but that doesn't mean you will get to deploy. Many other people want to deploy and your command might not let you go.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforre...spx#MFR_Banner

Shows IMA billets by rank and MOS that reservists can do.

Just keep in mind that you may be stuck drilling and never get to go active. If you want to do active duty time, I recommend going active duty at least for one tour. That will really help you be a better reservist and get you a ton of points to add for retirement.

And don't count on going active after the reserves. I run a reserve unit and talk with our prior service recruiter daily. The Corps is downsizing and it is extremely difficult for reservists to get on active duty. You can't just switch back and forth.

Thank you for the input sir... I saw a similar list of open billets for the 1/25 marines which covered alpha, bravo, charlie, h&s, and weapons co. I know it's slightly outdated, but it was all I could find
    http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforre...2020100930.xls

I've been getting the feeling from researching that it is harder and harder to transition to active duty, but it's still a goal of mine eventually. I'm not banking on it, but its a goal on the horizon...one step at a time though.

Now I know for a fact, that my unit is scheduled to deploy while I'd still be in SOI. Does the USMC offer any sort of opportunity to 'catch a ride' to meet up with your unit in a case like this? Or am I pretty much stuck home until the next cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by TStepanek View Post
    My recruiter talked a lot about how the reserves were great because you could volunteer to be activated all the time...
    LOL no, he's blowing smoke up your ass

While it's certainly possible for some people in some MOSes to augment frequently, most have a more difficult time of it than that. I know a guy who's both a recon qualified 03 and an MP yet he's been trying to deploy for two years now with no luck.

It depends heavily on your MOS, your duty station and the needs of the service. The latter of which will probably be the most restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    I know a guy who's both a recon qualified 03 and an MP yet he's been trying to deploy for two years now with no luck.
    Now there's something I haven't quite wrapped my head... How can you be "recon qualified" and not be just a Recon Marine with a recon unit? Why would the Marine Corps invest so much money sending someone to Recon school (isnt it like 3-6 months long?) if they arent doing it full time? I've heard that Scout Sniper school can be a secondary MOS to an 03xx... does the same go for Recon?

I know this is a tad bit off my origional question, but as a new kid, I still have a lot of unanswered questions. Thanks!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If the Marine Corps is what you really want to do and deploy, then you answered your own question. Be active duty. But, it seems like you only want to be a Marine a couple weeks out of the year. If that is the case, then be reserve. Its weak to say that your family kept you from being a Marine. Your old enough to make your own decisions. We do not want a Marine who cannot make up his own mind or is motivated once in a great while.

That document appears to be a list of available reserve billets, not opportunities to deploy.

And you can't just catch a ride because you want to. Marines need to complete specific training before they can deploy.

Lots of people want to deploy. You have to be in the right place at the right time. Going reserves is a gamble if you want to deploy or go active.

Quote Originally Posted by TStepanek View Post
    Now there's something I haven't quite wrapped my head... How can you be "recon qualified" and not be just a Recon Marine with a recon unit? Why would the Marine Corps invest so much money sending someone to Recon school (isnt it like 3-6 months long?) if they arent doing it full time? I've heard that Scout Sniper school can be a secondary MOS to an 03xx... does the same go for Recon?

I know this is a tad bit off my origional question, but as a new kid, I still have a lot of unanswered questions. Thanks!
    He originally signed up as an 03, went through recon school but got injured. Told him he couldn't remain an 03 and there were limited choices in the surrounding area so he picked MP.

And I should clarify, I should have said recon trained rather than recon qualified. Severe medical issues at the end of the training cycle so he got all the learning but his kidneys screwed him out of the graduation. He's 100% now and still hold 0311 as an MOS but getting deployed with a line company or an MP company has been difficult.

Although note that there are reserve recon units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    If the Marine Corps is what you really want to do and deploy, then you answered your own question. Be active duty. But, it seems like you only want to be a Marine a couple weeks out of the year. If that is the case, then be reserve. Its weak to say that your family kept you from being a Marine. Your old enough to make your own decisions. We do not want a Marine who cannot make up his own mind or is motivated once in a great while.
    It's not necessarily weak. He didn't say that his family didn't want him to go so it can't be assumed that it was that simple. It may have been a relative that needed constant care and he was the only one willing to provide it. There are a number of reasons why one wouldn't be able to sacrifice one's family obligations to enlist.

And being a reservist does not make one only motivated once in a while.

weak? My mother has been paralyzed since I was 18. I have two younger sisters. My family's only source of income was my fathers and my own, and my fathers job caused him to be on buisiness trips literally MONTHS out of the year. My old man wanted to retire early to take care of my mom and sisters but with the economy tanking a few years ago, the penalties he would have taken for early 401k/pension withdrawl would have been insurmountable to pay for a family of five with high medical bills and college on the way. So go ahead and call me weak. I did more for my family at 17/18 years old than you probably have. Weak? I invite you to come over to my house, honestly, stare both my parents in the eye (my father a retired marine and Viet Nam Vet) and speak your mind about how weak it is to give up your life for a while and worry about others...

Age 26 for me simply is the time when everything fell into place and I NOW have the chance to do something I've wanted to for years. I read through a couple of your other posts and it really seems you have something against the reserves... frankly I dont care. That's the route I'm going for the time being and I could care less if you're one of those that looks down upon that as a "semper sometimes" joke...

I didn't come on here crying and giving a sap story about poor poor me. I came on to ask questions respectfully... To everyone else... thank you for your responses and input.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Woah, easy poolee. First of all, do you really think your the only civilian with problems? You should probably remain a civilian til you deal with your bearing. Goin off like that is not goin to get you anywhere. This Marine isn't calling anybody weak. What is weak is that you use an excuse of not enlisting because of your family. You should be proud that you have a family to take care of, and not that it ruined a few years of your life. Makes you sound greedy and selfish.

Second of all, your a poolee. You do not come to a Marine Corps website and lash out like this. If money is your priority, then the Corps is not for you. Also, you simply do not know what I've done for my family. I'm not here to give you any sympathy. I'm here to give you an honest answer. And after seeing ur posts, I don't think your cut for the Marine Corps. Join the Air Force, or finish College and get a civilian job.

ok hoss,

Family obligations were a fact not an excuse. If you paid attention, all I said was I held the ball in my court for a while until my dad could afford to retire... I never complained about anything, thanks for the over sight though. All I did was ask about depolyments and volunteer opportunities to Marines that might know, and judging from your other posts/threads, you dont...

The money? I was helping out my dad, not worried about my own financial gains. Anyone joining the military in general for money alone should get their priorities checked... it certainly isnt purpose for enlisting...

In regards to your suggestions, I got an associates degree last spring, and I have a great job that pays a lot more than the military... for me its not about the pay though, I have many more reasons for doing this...

And thanks for the doubt and misguided opinions of what I may or may not be ready for Only more inspiration. Leaving Oct 3rd for PI... I'll see you on the other side...

Go check our rules, there poolee. Barking at a Marine, right/wrong or not, is exactly the WRONG answer.

Try that again.

Thread Information