Always looking for wisdom - Fixed Wing Mechanic
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Always looking for wisdom - Fixed Wing Mechanic

Well, this is my first night/post on the site so hello to everyone! haha

From what I've read so far I believe i'm restricted to this section of the site for a while and though i've been using the search, there hasn't been much success in finding some legit answers
    *NOTE* feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. No disrespect intended, I work a lot so I don't have a ton of time to read every user-post (it's been two hours haha, presently 0200)

I'm looking to be in the 62XX field (most likely mechanic)
    *QUESTIONS*

1) Does anyone have a website or wisdom about the differences of the fixed wing aircraft?
    - use of the craft, difficulty of job, are they old/new, applicable to civilian life, ship oriented or if they're at specific base locations etc... anything really

2) What are the "better" aircrafts to work on? (opinions are great)

3) Is there enough free time to take classes in this field. more in certain MOS's?

4) Advice on a "top" path to take as far as qual's/certifications... I'm confident in my asvab and i'll also have a 275+ PT before bootcamp.

That's enough for now I'm sure. I'll keep searching but I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thank You
    -Respect

Don't get too wound up on what specific aircraft that you might be working on. Depending on your specific MOS and the needs of the Marine Corps, you could end up anywhere.

I spent 4 years working on F/A-18's then got a little taste of Harriers. I also did 2 tours on Aircraft Carriers where I also worked with various Navy Aircraft such as the F-14.

Each aircraft has it's own Pros and Cons to working on them. Obviously the newer aircraft will be a bit easier to work on, but the lack of a supply inventory might make repairs more timely. Older aircraft will have issues at a higher rate, but the parts to fix them will be readily available to you.

As far as school and classes goes, there is enough time to take those as long as you make the time. Don't get into the habit of going to work, coming home, and then sleeping. If you want to take classes look at your schedule and make it work. I had several Marines who worked for me who took classes and there wasn't an issue with it. Our shop was open 24 hours, but we ran 3 shifts. So everyone worked for 8 hours then had the opprotunity to do what they needed to.

Thank you, Sir

I definitely understand I don't have a ton of control of which Aircraft I work on. As far as classes go, do you you know if they are online, or how they schedule them? (wasn't sure if your students just lucked out with a set schedule)

I've read some mos work over 10-14 hours/day (I don't mind since I go hard, I was just hoping for school to be realistic haha). Didn't know if you had input on that, because so far i've only heard flightline to be a glutten for punishment.

So I'll need a 5 year contract? Can I recontract(?) say after 3 years if i want to be an officer?
    ... is aircraft maintenance all in one or do they put you in fixed wing etc. right off. As in broken down into 62xx... 61xx... 60xx?

61xx is rotary wing 62xx is fixed wing i was a 6227 which is i level F404 mech(f/a-18 engines) we did complete overhaul of the engines. much easier to work on than harriers, prowlers and c-130's but dont know about rotary wing aside from they are tiny. in school ull go (for mechs) common core then jets prop helos then another school. and no the school is no where near realistic. o level didnt do much of anything and hell my I level where we do more in depth did only the basic stuff

I know what the MOS, O, I etc. is... I was just asking:

1) Are these three MOS mandatory 5 year
    2) Is 62xx in it's own field to choose or is 60/61/62 "one" field that you are put into.

Cheers

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Maintainers and Aircrew both do 5 years and as a 6276 I can tell you yes, all 62XX do 5 years.

As for your field placement that will be decided at Pensacola. Depending on how you do in your classes, your motivation, and how well you are able to impress/please your instructors will depend on what aircraft you get.

As for going enlisted to officer. There are no time restraints but you will have to be at a command who is willing to assist and push your commissioning package through. The earliest I've seen it done is 6 monthish.

Just an opinion question since you've been through RT... is it rough to be at the head of your platoon? (to get a choice of mos//meritorious promotion)

Also, have you seen anyone get black belt within 3 years in mcmap among these fields? (asking this because I want to, but i've heard of the extenuous hours on the job)

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Not really on the being at the front.

As for black belt.... It's pretty easy to get if you know an instructor who will do it. But it's pretty much useless unless you practice it every day, otherwise it just looks good for promotion. Most air wingers are pretty high belts if they want to be so it shouldn't be too hard to find an instructor.

I'm 6124, or at least I will be when I hit the fleet in like... 12 days. Expect a lot of short schooling, usually about a month long.. I had 2 "C" schools, which was fun...

Airframes and GSE have the longest schools I believe. This is why you get a 5 year contract, I'm almost a year in and I haven't even hit the fleet yet!

I've seen a few black belt instructors and a lot of them are green and brown so lots of them are working towards it... only seen one grey belt... there is always ****bags.

For "AD" as the navy calls it, or powerplants (engine mechs), we got to go to "A" school in pensacola, then we were broken down into strands. These were props, helos, and jets. This all varied on how well you placed in the class, basically giving you the first picks. I got "I" lvl helos, t-400 and t-700 engines for the hueys n cobras and the h-60s.

A lot of it is luck of the draw, but you can put the luck in your favor with good grades.
    And yes most of the contracts are 5 years, ive only met one person with a 4 year, and thats because he switched his mos at the last moment and they never changed it from a 4 year!

best of luck to ya..

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    haha, all the mechanics jobs are short as hell. Aircrew has the longest, and actually.... GSE/Flight E/ S& S all have the shortest schools. But some of the jobs have different variations of their job. For helos and Jets... I believe AVI/Powerline both of i strand and o strand. On the rest of the fixed wing AVI/Powerline have combined i strand and o strand.

And don't listen to Yonkers about the MCMAP belt standing. In all actuality it's almost inconsequential in the FMF(Fleet Marine Forces) A lot of junior Marines who are maintainers are too busy keeping their birds up and running to belt up. It just all depends on your schedule and ops tempo. There is nothing wrong with being a grey belt. But, if you aspire towards more there are always instructors willing to do a course and most likely work to best fit the schedule of a maintainer due to the fact they are most likely maintainers as well. The best MCMAP can do for you is help you with promotions, so once again it is all up to you. Just remember, the flight schedule always comes before your personal aspirations and plans.

?

The jobs are short as hell yet I'll be too busy to belt up?... haha, alright

I want black belt for personal growth. Hopefully I can friend another Marine who wants to practice/workout. If it happens to help with promotions, then kudos to me I guess.
    Nothing should distract my moto from doing the best I can at my job though.

Any advice on what to choose, qualifications, videos/books to look into?
    Random wisdom? haha

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The best I can tell you is to stay in good shape especially if you try to belt up in Pensacola. The techniques are very easy to learn but in MCMAP, especially at Pensacola, a lot of instructors like to turn the PT into a haze fest. So keep yourself in good shape and you should be fine.

Nice
    Well I can already max pullups and situps. With at LEAST 3months til I ship (haven't signed anything yet), I'm altering my routines to build stamina.

Haha, I might like what they dish out: the most pumped up I've ever been was after getting my ass kicked by purple belts for 3 hours. I love training with people better than me because I give everything I have to match/exceed them.

Only wisdom I can give you is go in with an open mind. I went in under the 62xx field and came out and 6062. Aircraft Hydraulic/Pneumatic Mechanic working on Helos. When I was at my "A" school I was slated for powerplants then ended up in airframes and onto I level "C" school for Hydraulics. The other knowledge I have is that you will be given plenty of chances to move up in belts depending on your specific command. Most will let you go to green as a Lcpl then Brown as a CPL and Black as SGT. But thats not to say they wont let you go to black sooner. You sound good and motivated so once you sign those papers make sure you stay that way and dont let some of the bull get ya down and you should be a good addition to the corps!

Thread Information