Hoping for infantry
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hoping for infantry

I originally wanted to join the Marine Corps to do infantry. Well now that i have officially sworn in, i've come to realize that its far and few who really get that MOS. I swore in today, and got a ship date of 20110801, but i highly doubt that there will be an infantry slot that comes available in my recruiting station for it.

I would not mind being a combat engineer, but my heart has been set on being a grunt. I want the experience of going on patrols and protecting others, long humps, being in the field, and i feel if i am to end up in any job aside from 03xx then i will not be getting that experience. Got to hold an m16a4 at field day this past weekend and it just re assured me that it was what i want. I understand in the past that many of the other MOS's ended up filling the roles of grunts but as far as i can see, times are different now and it is not the same.

Looking for someone who could shed some light on MOS's other than infantry, which might give me what i'd be looking for, or if being anything other than infantry really is just not the same, then i might consider holding off as long as it takes to get that spot.

Also, have been told that after 2 years of enlistment, you can change your MOS. How much of an issue does that become? Because if not now, then i would absolutely be preparing to swap to an 03xx when it became possible.

Thanks ahead.

Changing your MOS once you are in was fairly difficult and probably still is.

As an infantry Marine I am biased and would tell you nothing is like infantry, but there certainly are some MOSs that are going to offer similar experiences.

If you want an MOS hold out for it they all come open sooner or later.

On an unrelated note, "Got to hold an m16a4", holy hell!

Quote Originally Posted by michagnu View Post
    On an unrelated note, "Got to hold an m16a4", holy hell!
    Yes yes i know, i have never even been within visual distance of a real gun before let alone a rifle, was just a good experience is all.

Thanks for the input though.

No, I don't think you do I was surprised that an A4 model was already in existence. Either I got old or they are developing weapons much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowByThePound View Post
    I want the experience of going on patrols and protecting others, long humps, being in the field, and i feel if i am to end up in any job aside from 03xx then i will not be getting that experience.
    You know that you can experience a few of those things on your own.

For long humps-

- Take a large pack, stuff it full of weight till it weighs about 80lbs.
    - Tape a heavy book to your back, that's to simulate wearing the ILBE pack with a Flak and sapi plate.
    - get a curling barbell carry it around to simulate a M249 SAW.
    - Now with large pack, book in between back and pack, and curling bar bell start walking at a fast pace.
    - When you get to the fastest pace you can handle, go even faster.
    - Continue hump till you get to the field

Being in the field -

- Dig a hole that's deep to your shoulders, 2 m16's in length and 2 kevlars wide
    - Use a shovel that has a 6 inch stick
    - sit in hole all day and night
    - at night wake up every other hour on the hour for an hour to simulate watch
    - at random times get out of hole pick up barbell and walk around for a few hours
    - don't change clothes at any time

If that's bearable then you should consider the infantry

No, I don't think you do I was surprised that an A4 model was already in existence. Either I got old or they are developing weapons much faster.

Just a typo.

And though im not about to go and attempt your list of relating steps, think i get the point. With that being said, why do so many people love infantry then?

Why do so many people love the infantry?

Some people love being miserable... haha. Well I can't answer for everyone, but for me, it sucks getting there, it's always to hot/cold raining/snowing but it's all worth it when you get to do actions on the objective.

Infantry, is where you can do things that you'd never get to do the rest of your life.

Some of us are a glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Why do so many people love the infantry?

Some people love being miserable... haha. Well I can't answer for everyone, but for me, it sucks getting there, it's always to hot/cold raining/snowing but it's all worth it when you get to do actions on the objective.

Infantry, is where you can do things that you'd never get to do the rest of your life.

The recruiters i have spoken to about it seem to fray me towards different MOS's, that you always get the **** end of things, and even reading about it, then again you hear that good things dont come easy. And i think the reward of accomplishing that is well worth it, though i suppose that is just theory until i acctually experience it first hand.

Overrall, are there any infantry marines who truly regret it? Aside from the reason that its rough.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowByThePound View Post
    The recruiters i have spoken to about it seem to fray me towards different MOS's, that you always get the **** end of things, and even reading about it, then again you hear that good things dont come easy. And i think the reward of accomplishing that is well worth it, though i suppose that is just theory until i acctually experience it first hand.

Overrall, are there any infantry marines who truly regret it? Aside from the reason that its rough.
    There are always some who regret, I don't know how many you would find on this site though.

There are always some who regret, I don't know how many you would find on this site though.

Ok well i was told by the Gunnery Sargeant that, if i were to chose a different MOS, such as combat engineer, it would be easier to swap into infantry after 2 years of enlistment, compared to visa versa. Is there any truth to that? Not to downtalk him or anything, he gave me some great advice which is why im considering different MOS's. Just want to validate his thoughts.

In my experience MOS change is unlikely, but he's in and I'm not, he has the best intel. I won't question his integrity based on what you say he said. If you want infantry wait for it, if combat engineer is OK with you then take it.
    My point I guess is that in the end you will serve the Marine Corps based on your decisions so if you accept that the Corps doesn't have a spot for infantry right now and you choose something else don't blame the Corps later. You decide the terms of the contract, "they" can't make you do anything. "They" also don't have to give you what you want, the Corps can say "No. OK we will find someone else then."

Understood, will have to think about it a bit more i suppose. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My brother was a combat engineer. Some built stuff and some blew stuff up but he did say they work closely to grunts. Lat moves are not easy unless your reenlisting and I can almost guarentee you that you wont get a lat move approved after 2 years. I had the same notion as you when I came in but ended up loving my job. And 1 kid tried and the MOS monitor told him in person that it wouldnt happen.

So basically take lat moving out of my thought process.

I have also been told that, at the end of bootcamp(or beginning of SOI, not sure exactly when) they usually ask some people to change their MOS over to an 03XX, is there truth to that?

Thread Information