AF Veteran Looking for Hispanic Marines to Interview
Create Post

AF Veteran Looking for Hispanic Marines to Interview

Hello Marines!

To briefly introduce myself, I'm a student veteran. I served in the Air Force from 2000-2006 and am currently a Ph.D. student in Sociology at the University of Maryland. I am writing my dissertation on Hispanics in the U.S. Marine Corps and am looking for Hispanic Marines (and especially women!!!) to interview.

The basic premise of my research is this: The Marine Corps has been very successful (and more successful than the other service branches) in recruiting Hispanics, but it's not clear why. For my dissertation, I am interviewing Hispanic Marines to find out their motivations for service, why they selected the USMC, and their experiences while in.

To answer these questions, I need to talk to Marines. Specifically, I am seeking volunteers to interview who have served in the Marine Corps on active duty at any time since 9/11/01 or currently are serving. The interviews will take about 30 minutes and will be completed by telephone. All names will be kept confidential and interviews will be summarized and quoted in ways that protect the participant's identity.

Interested participants can contact me through my school address (kdeangelis@socy.umd.edu) or through my personal account (karin.deangelis@gmail.com). They can also find me on facebook (search for Karin Modesto DeAngelis or http://www.facebook.com/k.modesto.deangelis). Once we are in contact, I can explain the details of the study further and they can decide if they want to participate. You also can contact my advisor (Professor David Segal, 301-405-6439) if you have further questions about the study’s validity or about procedures for protecting one's identity. Finally, you can find more information about me on the Department of Sociology’s webpage, which is available through this link:
    http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/grad/gradstudents.html

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I've had a REALLY hard time finding Hispanic women so I'm hoping there are few out there willing to help.

Sincerely,

Karin (Modesto) De Angelis

Credits
    Savings

Check out Kiegeaard............

He posts on here quite a bit ! He should fill both your requirements ?

Not sure if he's hispanic...or not. However, I'm going to move this one to the 'Open discussion' section, where it may get a few more hits.

Good luck with your research!

Uh... it's not 'social' it's geographical. Where is a majority of the USMC recruited out of? California and Texas. What is the majority of those populations? Mexican.

^ There, project done. I've yet to see a Sociology student propose a good project. Maybe you should try to do a graph non something that is not more easily inferred than represented by data.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MintusMaximus View Post
    Uh... it's not 'social' it's geographical. Where is a majority of the USMC recruited out of? California and Texas. What is the majority of those populations? Mexican.

^ There, project done. I've yet to see a Sociology student propose a good project. Maybe you should try to do a graph non something that is not more easily inferred than represented by data.
    The % of Mexican population in Tx. and Calf. is 36%. Not the majority!

Could you fill out your profile?

well im still in the Marine Corps going on 9 years now, I left Colombia at the age of 12. so if you want to ask me question for your interview go right ahead.

Thread Information