Likelihood of age waiver?
Create Post

Likelihood of age waiver?

First some background on myself. I recently graduated with my master's degree last year and I will be turning 28 in September.

I have been in contact with my local recruiter for OCS and been trying to get in shape. A few weeks ago I couldnt run a mile and could only do 3-4 pull ups and at this point I can run 3 miles in half an hour and can probably do 8-9 pull ups. My heart is definitely into the training. My goal being to run 3 miles in 21 minutes and do 20 straight pull ups as the recruiter told me to shoot for.

Today I get an email from the recruiter saying that he can no longer help me since I am too out of shape and this year's candidates have already been chosen and by the time the next board meets I will be 29 which would disqualify me.

My question is, if I worked my butt off for a year and was able to meet and exceed the physical requirements, is it possible or even likely to get an age waiver at 29? My heart sunk this morning when I was told I had no future in the marine corps, and although I could easily do army, I don't want to even consider that if I have any hope in the marines. Any words of wisdom?

By the way, new to the site and you guys probably hear this a lot but thank you all for your service from the bottom of my heart!

Welcome to the site. Ta ke a few minutes of your time and put that degree to use reading the site rules. A profile will go a long ways on here.

Good start to the profile. As for an age waiver.... You can get one when you are joining the enlisted ranks. I am not sure about joining the O club. I am sure someone will come along shortly and have that asnwer for you.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineerjet View Post
    First some background on myself. I recently graduated with my master's degree last year and I will be turning 28 in September.

I have been in contact with my local recruiter for OCS and been trying to get in shape. A few weeks ago I couldnt run a mile and could only do 3-4 pull ups and at this point I can run 3 miles in half an hour and can probably do 8-9 pull ups. My heart is definitely into the training. My goal being to run 3 miles in 21 minutes and do 20 straight pull ups as the recruiter told me to shoot for.

Today I get an email from the recruiter saying that he can no longer help me since I am too out of shape and this year's candidates have already been chosen and by the time the next board meets I will be 29 which would disqualify me.

My question is, if I worked my butt off for a year and was able to meet and exceed the physical requirements, is it possible or even likely to get an age waiver at 29? My heart sunk this morning when I was told I had no future in the marine corps, and although I could easily do army, I don't want to even consider that if I have any hope in the marines. Any words of wisdom?

By the way, new to the site and you guys probably hear this a lot but thank you all for your service from the bottom of my heart!

You can get a waiver but it's done on a case by case basis. The down side for you is your age and that you're competing against 22-24 yo who are in top physical condition right now, not next year

If your OSO said he couldn't help you any more then I'd start looking at the Army. Remember the Corps is downsizing, down over 50k from last year so they can be very picky about who they choose. Unless you bring some unstated quality such as being poly lingual then I'm afraid you're SOL

But good luck to you

Either way I have nothing left to lose. I'm confident in a year I will be able to achieve a perfect PFT. I started running about 4 times a week and workout everyday. Best I can hope for is a perfect PFT and if they still deny me then so be it, I did my best.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineerjet View Post
    Either way I have nothing left to lose. I'm confident in a year I will be able to achieve a perfect PFT. I started running about 4 times a week and workout everyday. Best I can hope for is a perfect PFT and if they still deny me then so be it, I did my best.

That's a good attitude. Try this site, it's very similar to LN, just register and ask away

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Marine Friend Free Member JeffHoss's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Google PFT Calculator. Set daily goals. Keep in touch with an OSO and see where they would like for you to have your PFT and what not. That is what I am doing. I am starting college in the fall and planning on doing the PLC program during the Summer of 2012 (summer b4 my sophomore year). I was told that I have a pretty good chance of an age waiver by my OSO. Again that depending on my PFT score. I'll be 27 in September 2011 and non prior.

Thanks for the reply again. I have recently had to get ankle surgery and I wont be able to get back to running for another 2 months. In the mean time I am doing all the pull ups and sit ups I can. I am on the armstrong pull up program and so far i went from 5 pull ups 2 months ago to 11 (with the leg cast) so I'm confident that I will be able to make my 20 mark. As I said, I have no guarantee I'll even get a waiver but best I can ask for is to do my best and let the cards fall where they may. I'll be 28 in Sept which means I'll be 29 by the time the next board convenes so we shall see. Best of luck to you!

Not only will you need an age waiver, but you'll more than likely need a waiver for your recent ankle surgery, too.

Dude, if you can make a perfect pft, they will let you in, i promise (not easily done unless you're a natural athlete). Take a couple of computer based language courses and study, study, study the languages. Take the DLPT and you're in like Flynn. Get to know a Marine General Officer if possible (wink). Arabic (of course) and Spanish come to mind. Good luck!

Marine Friend Free Member JeffHoss's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Again. Set some goals and the PFT calculator is your friend. IMO
    I am finally enrolled in college as of Thursday Morning.
    I installed a pull up bar in my shed a couple weeks ago. (I am working on chin ups I can now double what I use to do)
    I am running daily
    Crunches are almost like sitting yourself up in bed. No partner no problem I got my shed to hold my feet.

well my progress so far.

Since I started this thread I went from 5 pull ups to 18 (plan on hitting the 20 mark in a week or two). My sit ups are around 80 in two minutes but I haven't been focusing on that, they usually come easy to me so I'm sure I'll get to 100 with a bit of work. What is killing me is the running. I haven't ran for a month and a half due to the surgery. My ankle is feeling good though and I plan on starting a jogging/running program soon. I'd say I can probably do 28 minute three miles with a little work right now, which currently puts me in the 210 mark. With a few months of serious training I can probably make between 21-23 minutes on the run.

By the way, kudos on the armstrong pull up program. It works and I'm proof!

Thread Information