4 months of Sobriety
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

4 months of Sobriety

Today marks exactly 4 months to the day that I stopped drinking. I have been sober or 4 months so far and every day has been a severe struggle for me. I've also overcome some severe medical issues in the last few weeks that were caused by my years of drinking heavily. I'm talking heavy liquor, especially Vodka.

My liver is pretty much damaged for life now. But that's one of the consequences of drinking as much as I have done. I lived with my girlfriend Lexi for 2 years before we got married. We have been married since November 2010 and we are still having some issues from my drinking. It caused me to be an extremely angry guy. I have been drinking since I was 17 (I'm now 25), and I spent a very significant amount of my time in the Corps drunk off my @ss. AA has helped me a lot too, even though I was really reluctant to go.

I had to go into rehab 4 months ago to dry out basically, and its helped. But every day since has been a struggle. I still sometimes feel like I need booze. I am just hoping I can stay sober for another 4 months and even longer.

S/F
    -Derek

Exactly why I never started drinking in the first place.

Glad you're doing better.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Cpl. I'm proud of you. As I told you via PM's it was in both sides of my family.

Keep doing what works for you and stay the f away from people of bad influence.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Cpl. I'm proud of you. As I told you via PM's it was in both sides of my family.

Keep doing what works for you and stay the f away from people of bad influence.
    Yeah, I still have trouble if I drive by a bar or liquor store or something. Its hard to even look at the building sometimes.

Very proud of you. Drinking is a VERY hard thing to overcome. I have a very good friend who has struggled the better part of his life with it. Should have been dead twice now he says. Just don't quit. You are 1/3 the way to the big mark and WE know you can do it. STAY WITH THE MEETINGS!!! Even after the year mark. Stay with it.

It's a hard thing to overcome. I drank off and on for years and remember specifically two times it was very important to me. I can drink now and skip it like it never happened so my friend told me I'm not a true alcoholic because I was ok with letting it go. But...I do smoke and I'll break the dang fingers of anyone who takes my "stress" cig away from me. So I can imagine your frustration. Just keep on keepin' on.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Brother.
    You can do it.
    We are All here for You.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Mistybluelady
    Guest Free Member
    Very proud of you Derek... its very hard to admit one has a problem so taking that first step sets you far apart from the people that never acknowledge their problem.
    It will be a long hard road, but keeping to meetings and having good people around you for support and you will be fine...

One day at a time ..

God Bless Derek....

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Derek, I fought booze for 38 years. Three years and four months ago I gave it up. It was hard. But its been well worth it.

Credits
    Savings
    Congrats,
    Keep up the positive action.
    I was fortunate to learn early booze is a bad trip if used excessively

Stay strong and sober

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Derek, I fought booze for 38 years. Three years and four months ago I gave it up. It was hard. But its been well worth it.
    Yeah, well it was spending the night in the drunk tank 4 months ago that pretty much convinced me I needed to quit drinking. Now if I could just get my anger problems under control, I'd be squared away.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good work! Keep it up. It's been almost 19-years since I quit now. Zero regrets and never feel a need for a drink.

You'll start feeling better and better about yourself and some of those anger issues will go away with the boost in the self-esteem department from the success over booze.

Quote Originally Posted by CPLBurkeD View Post
    Yeah, well it was spending the night in the drunk tank 4 months ago that pretty much convinced me I needed to quit drinking. Now if I could just get my anger problems under control, I'd be squared away.
    Good luck and congratulations on four months!

Great Job Brother! 4 months alcohol free is in itself a milestone! I, like many others fought that demon for years. I drank alot when I was in but it got waaaay worse after I got out. AA helped a bit, sitting in a cell helped a bit too, but the 2 things that helped the most was 1st learning to lean on God and my faith in Him and 2nd tapping into the same determination and strength that got me through boot camp and 4 yrs. of Marine Corps infantry to never give up and do the best job I could do every day for my family. I realized somewhere along the struggle that I'm not as important as I thought I was but my wife and child(ren) were. I do it for them as much if not more than myself. It gets easier over time and one day it won't even seem like a struggle at all ( that's how it is now for me.)

You're doing great and whenever you feel like you're about to fall, pick up a phone and call your AA sponsor (if u got one) or get online here and lean on us!

Semper Fi...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One day at a time,Cpl.of Marines,yesterday is History,F**K-2Morrow,all that matters is the Here and now!!! GodLuck and Walk Tall Marine S/F

Thread Information