2 months of Hell at PI to get an Entry Level Seperation - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Billy, in our day, as you know, no one quit. They would have half-killed us had we just lost motivation. They would have literally beat it back into us in a matter of less than one minute.
    You hit it on the head Dave. Being unmotivated was not even an option back in the day. All it took was a couple trips to the sand pit (with your DI's hand around your throat all the way there) to make you realize being motivated was a lot better than the alternative!

To the OP: the USMC is not for everyone as you know. Marines must be capable of world-wide service (that's what the EGA represents). If your luck is anything like mine, you would get stationed somewhere on the Canadian border. The option of turning down an assignment does not exist. In my opinion, you should look for a career somewhere in the deep south where you'll be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    I highly doubt any Drill Instructors would make any of their recruits go out in 30 degree plus wind chill weather in just your civvies, skivvies, or PT gear (t-shirt and shorts). They would not jeopardize their careers by doing something like that.
    There's something more to this story than that............
    I agree,or its just a blant lie.
    In todays Corps that would never be allowed. Perhaps in pre-80's but no way would have this been allowed.

You got cold at boot camp and mentally checked out??!!! Boot camp is the EASIEST time you will have in the Marine Corps in a lot of ways.

She still hasn't filled out her profile. Plus she shows no motivation at all to me and there's more to this story than she's telling. I'm like Lisa, I enjoyed boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    Female former recruit, college graduate, successful career... and I wanted nothing more than to be a Marine! My dilemma now is.... I want to go back!

Before I tell my story, for the record, I did not just simply quit Parris Island. Yes I ran out of motivation and mentally had "checked out", but my body quit on me during this past December at Parris Island (when the DI's made us go out in 30 degree weather plus wind chill in just our civis) I have bad circulation but haven't been officially diagnosed with anything. Dr.'s suspect it's Raynauds. So I get colder quicker than anyone else, I could breeze through boot camp in the warmer months.

After seeing my Platoon graduate, pictures posted all over Facebook, and mentally returning to "normal" about 1-2 months post boot camp, parts of me want to go back. The first day back to the civilian world was weird. I missed my sisters, squad bay, and hated being alone. But I also hated Parris Island (who doesn't). Not sure if I felt more superior being a 24 year old college graduate or what, but I never seemed to keep the motivation everyone else had and when my body froze in the winter, that was it. I can go back to PI and I did not get a Failure To Adapt, but at the same time, should I risk going back if I deal that poorly in the cold?

I don't tolerate failure well and I'm wondering if that is part of why I want to go back so badly. I was going Reserves too because I wanted continue on my life path but also serve my country. Any advice/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
    If I were your recruiter, I would tell you that there was nothing that I can do for you and here's why:

I know exactly what goes through a recruit's mind at recruit training because I have been there myself. Being on recruiting duty now, I can usually tell if a potential recruit has the right "DNA", so-to-speak, to make it through recruit training. I know the difference in different recruit's inherent intestinal fortitude. Some have "enough" while others have "a chance". You had "a chance", and you did not measure up. Physical problems aside, let me make my point in the form of a question.

If you were hiding in a house from a thousand bad guys with only one person to guard you from them, would you want that person to be someone who lost motivation under stress, or would you want that person to be tougher than nails? Rhetorical question.

That being said, why should the Marine Corps expend it's limited resources and money on giving you another shot while there are plenty of other people lined up to join? If you can make that case to your recruiter, he or she might be willing to entertain your desire to go to recruit training again.

As the SNCOIC of an RSS, I know that any time a recruit does not make it at recruit training it is because they quit when they were mentally broken down. The ONLY time this is untrue, is when a person is literally broken into pieces, or dead. I suggest you take a good hard look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. Do you really want to be a Marine, and everything that comes with that responsibility, or do you just want the image of being a Marine?

If you REALLY want to be a Marine at all costs, then I wish you the best of luck and hope that you make your case well to that recruiter and his or her boss. I will tell also tell you that quitting is NEVER an option. "Can't" means WON'T in our world. If you find within yourself that you were just romanticizing the title Marine, then do yourself and that recruiter a favor and stay away from the recruiting office and move on with your life.

If this isn't for you, and you still want to serve your country then try the Air Force or the Navy. Not that those are bad, or lesser services, but the Marine Corps is simply not for everyone. Just because that is true, does not mean that you should not serve your country.

Recruit Training is 90% mental and 10% physical. If she does happen to get back in, she better hope the North Koreans quit rattling their swords. In the winter it gets colder than a well diggers azz in that country.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Every clime and place.....

Credits
    Savings
    I'm just glad she was not at the frozen Chosin Reservoir where our brothers went through real Hel# and the one that had the heart to pull his buddy along wounded and him wounded also. But like 03Foxtrot said it is all about HEART once you loose it you are done. When the mind says quit and the HEART does not stand up and say no, it is over. But as long as you have HEART anything can be done - like Bella Woods now them boys had HEART and EARNED each one of us the right to be called Devil Dogs. The HEART makes you dig down a little deeper and then deeper till you get the job done no matter what obstacle you face. She was done then and if she has not developed a good HEART she will be done when she goes back!!!!

I highly doubt any Drill Instructors would make any of their recruits go out in 30 degree plus wind chill weather in just your civvies, skivvies, or PT gear (t-shirt and shorts). They would not jeopardize their careers by doing something like that.

And...I for one, LOVED going through boot camp!!! .....and I'm not being sarcastic by saying that either.

Your profile says that you served for a year. How did you manage that if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by mgirgiss View Post
    Your profile says that you served for a year. How did you manage that if you don't mind me asking?
    PM sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You hit it on the head Dave. Being unmotivated was not even an option back in the day. All it took was a couple trips to the sand pit (with your DI's hand around your throat all the way there) to make you realize being motivated was a lot better than the alternative!

To the OP: the USMC is not for everyone as you know. Marines must be capable of world-wide service (that's what the EGA represents). If your luck is anything like mine, you would get stationed somewhere on the Canadian border. The option of turning down an assignment does not exist. In my opinion, you should look for a career somewhere in the deep south where you'll be more comfortable.

U.S. Marine Corps Hymn (Marine Hymn)

From the Halls of Montezuma
    To the Shores of Tripoli;
    We fight our country's battles
    In the air, on land and sea;
    First to fight for right and freedom
    And to keep our honor clean;
    We are proud to claim the title
    of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
    From dawn to setting sun;
    We have fought in eve'ry clime and place
    Where we could take a gun;
    In the snow of far-off Northern lands
    And in sunny tropic scenes;
    You will find us always on the job--
    The United States Marines. Here's health to you and to our Corps
    Which we are proud to serve
    In many a strife we've fought for life
    And never lost our nerve;
    If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By United States Marines.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I must say, I hope you DO NOT get a second chance. I hate quiters. Once a quiter, always a quiter. We don't need you. This is coming from a 25 year old college graduate who graduated from PI.

And you say you have a successful career? You haven't done anything besides fail at boot camp. Disgusting.

Am I the only one who noticed she has stopped replying to all of us since post one?

And...I for one, LOVED going through boot camp!!! .....and I'm not being sarcastic by saying that either.
    How about you go back to Parris Island at around 0600 around Jan time frame and see for yourself. I can tell you from my own personal experience, it ****ing sucks.

never mind it aint worth getting the boot......................

Thread Information