ATC be a Aerial Observer?
Create Post

ATC be a Aerial Observer?

I currently have a Aviation Operations contract (AJ Contract) and on that contract is air traffic controller and enlisted air crew so supposedly crew chief. I would like to be a crew chief but, from what I herd most people end up getting air traffic controller. So if i do end up getting air traffic controller is it possible to become an aerial observer? If there are any AO's or crew chiefs out there your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Aviation Operations (AJ) does not have Crew chief. The MOS involved under the 7300 OccField is for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Air Vehicle Operator (7314)
    All of the other OccFields for that Program are for the Air Control, Support, Traffic
    7200 Occfield
    It just so happen that the UAV falls under that Occfield

The Program for Air Crew is (AG) Occfields 6100,6200,7300
    I hope this helps
    Semper Fi

Dam my recruiter said theres crew chief under that contract. Oh well looks ilke im going to be a air traffic controller or uav guy. Thanks for your help

They must be handing out AJ contracts like candy these days. Just fully understand that it is ultimately up to the needs of the Marine Corps. I signed up to be ATC and ended up a 7242. And there are many more in the 7200 field.

Also, uas operator is not even remotely close to as cool as they make it sound. A uas pretty much flys its self.

handing out like candy? why is it a hard contract to obtain? well im hoping for ATC but your an air support operations operator? what is that job like?

7242 is a weird mix of rent a slave for other sections and units, being an officer servant, and two hours total time per month of important and critical job performance (mixed in with hours and hours of dreary mindless routine).

Last edited by Garyius; 05-18-11 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

To be an AO you'll have to be working on that particular aircraft. i.e. airframes avionics, flightline. Others can become AO's but its tough for them because unless you work on the planes themselves the aircrew is uneasy about putting someone not in maintenance on.

Thread Information