Training question for hollywood marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Training question for hollywood marines

So I live in San Diego, obviously I will be trained in San Diego. I've watched a couple documentaries on Marine boot camp, but overwhelmingly they seem to cover the training done at Paris Island.

My question is simple, how is the training different? I know that you will learn the same things, but the area around the compounds are different. For example, is there wooded area in the San Diego compound that you train in? I've seen the compound and its right next to an air port so I wonder.

If any hollywood marine could make a few brief statements on the differences it would be appreciated.

I think there's a grove of palm trees and grass by the generals crib. You wont get to awful dirty at MCRD Diego, recruits are hauled north for that

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Did my boot at PI, but after the Corps I lived in San Diego for 30+ years. Since I worked on the harbor I caught my fair share of runaways. I would not want to do boot in my home town. That has gotta hurt just looking over the fence.

Are you a Tree Hugger???

The only difference I was told at PI was Hollywood Marines were perttier.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    The training schedule is the same, despite all the rivalry going on for years between the two MCRDs.
    In the "old days" we did our Advanced Infantry Training at Camp Geiger, part of Camp Lejeune, NC, after boot camp as Parris Island. Six weeks there.
    These days I don't know if that training at Pendleton follows on the heels of MCRD San Diego boot camp or not, but the hills at Camp Pendleton are brutal to train in compared to the flat land at Camp Geiger, that, to me, is the only difference in training.

As far as just the MCRD part of it, it is precisely the same training schedule.

You will be issued sunglasses and suntan lotion and beach towels at San Diego, however, something we never had at Parris Island, it being the rougher of the two boot camps. Just kidding.

Good luck in your endeavors re joining----keep in mind that those training videos are showing the DIs not as they really are but as they are for the cameras. You will not observe half of what actually goes on just by watching a few videos. They are not 100% representative of reality, like anything else.

Watching the program COPS on TV is hardly the same as riding with police officers in dangerous situations. Same idea. Those USMC videos show what they want you to see, not PTing someone half to death, and in my day, even worse.

Yep, all field training for MCRDSD is done at Pendleton as is SOI. Have fun on the hills. Those instructors know how to go everywhere without having to go downhill.

But Pendleton is just hillocks until you do Winter or Mountain Warfare School at Bridgeport in the Sierra Nevadas.

Have to differ on the above post. In my opinion and from what I have heard from Drill Instructors who are there these days, that video is very representative of how it is done today.

Dave, that's against the Recruit Training SOP. Drill Instructors never go against the SOP.

You spend first phase a the depot in San Diego. Then they'll bus you up to Camp Pendleton for all of second phase. Then you'll come back to the Depot for third phase. At the Depot you'll be doing a lot of drill on the parade deck, classroom work, and PT. They've got a PT field right next to the airport with all the O course equipment, MCMAP pit and such. There is a PFT loop around it as well. You'll also go to the pool and do your swim qual at the Depot. Up at Camp Pendleton is where you do your rifle range, learn basic fire and maneuver tactics, have all your hikes, do the gas chamber... wait, excuse me... "confidence" chamber, and the crucible.

They actually may have moved the Camp Pendleton phase to the end, but when I was there 5 years ago it was in the middle. But whenever it is, that's what you'll be doing there.

At PI they made us march to 2nd phase.

When I was in Boot, we duck walked to the Rifle Range, quacking all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    When I was in Boot, we duck walked to the Rifle Range, quacking all the way.

You duck walked with a Alice Pack 10 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    You duck walked with a Alice Pack 10 miles?
    No. We had our loaded seabags on our shoulders. Whn we went to the range all our gear went with us. We did the range at Camp Mathews.

Gool Lord Gunney, Duck Walking with a seabag? That must have been grueling. When we force marched to the Rifle Range Pvt Taylor Staggered left then right then left again and then staggered 12 foot and collapsed on the grass. The DI's went ape chit crazy saying how he was faking and why did he not just collapse on the road and was yelling for him to get the F up. They felt bad when the corpman announced he had a 104 degree temperature and deficated on himself.

I was one of the lucky ones and didn't have problems like this.

I believe the biggest difference between the two Marine Corps boot camps in the minds of the public is simply this; Parris Island is legendary. As you go through life you'll find that whenever someone finds out you're a Marine they'll immediately say "So you went through Parris Island," right or wrong to them that's a Real Marine. Or, you might say "No, I went through SD." They'll say "Oh." Not the same thing.

As far as Infantry Training, I've trained on both coasts. True, the west coast offers some tough mountains and such, but the east coast offers swamps, snakes, Mosquitos, cold, rain, etc. Choose your poison.

Thread Information